What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Yeah the inside was talked about with an interview a while ago with that trill engineer guy (forgotten his name but he's that guy that's appeared on recent Coaster shows and has those bi glasses).
Anyway there was a question about what he was working on now and what the future is for coasters and he said something like most physical things coasters can do has been done so they are now looking into ways for using special effects, lighting and sound to make drops seem larger and to create a scary and thrilling experience which is being used for a new coaster (which he was obviously referring to SW6). I can find the link for it now though but if anyone can find it I'll show you what I mean.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just found it:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/m ... lercoaster

The guy I was thinking of was Brendan Walker. Also bear in mind that this article was written back in March.

Here of a few questions I've picked out:
I'm currently working on ...
A really exciting new ride at one of the UK parks. I've been commissioned to help design a particular drop feature. The longer the drop the more expensive it is to construct, so I'm researching the shortest distance the drop could be to create the ultimate feeling of fear.

The most important thing to remember ...
When creating a roller coaster is the choreography. It's not just about loops and drops, but about theatre, tempo and understanding your audience.

The future of roller coasters ...
Lies in psychological stimulation. The human body is a limiting factor - there are only so many Gs it can take before it blacks out. So, to make rides scarier, we're having to move towards mental stimulation, playing on real human fears.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
^ Why =/ I'm loving what he's saying.

In fact it reminds me strongly of what John Wardley's philosophy was, treating a ride as a theatrical show.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
bob_3_ said:
^ Why =/ I'm loving what he's saying.

In fact it reminds me strongly of what John Wardley's philosophy was, treating a ride as a theatrical show.

Yes, but he's a self obsessed, self promoting cock, unlike Mr Wardley :lol:

I think whoever said the name was undecided is wrong. The name will have been decided a long time before the posters went up. Just because somebody doesn't know the name, doesn't mean that it hasn't been decided.

These things are designed holistically. You have the coaster, theme and marketing - the name is tied in with all of these things. Ride the Demon of the Dark Forest, Surrender to "Thorough the woods wooshy coaster" - yep, that sounds like a plan. They know the name :)

tks

Strata Poster
Everyone up in arms about "Surrender"... Do you remember when "Rita - Queen of Speed" was announced? You'll get over it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I never got over Rita, I still think it's a really shockingly bad name, and feel embarrassed whenever I say the name :(

spicy

Giga Poster
Nice, although you could have just posted this in the SW6 topic.

Alton have always liked to have actors when the rides being constructed, they had the guard while Oblivion was being built telling people to leave the area as its top secret.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Do we know if there's anthing else planned for this new area? Surely it cant have just coasters?

Somebody mentioned on another page, and I agree with them that too many of the area's in the park a 'dark'. You have this new land, Forbidden Valley, Gloomy Wood, the Towers, kinda Mutiny Bay and even X-Sector is dark...ish. The only non kiddie land which is nice and fresh/bright is Katanga Caynon.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Balls! Sorry, I merged the topics but it deleted all the posts other than Spicy's. I'd like Myk to repost the video please, looked interesting.

nealbie

CF Legend
Martyn B said:
Somebody mentioned on another page, and I agree with them that too many of the area's in the park a 'dark'. You have this new land, Forbidden Valley, Gloomy Wood, the Towers, kinda Mutiny Bay and even X-Sector is dark...ish. The only non kiddie land which is nice and fresh/bright is Katanga Caynon.

I like the whole supernatural and dark thing that Alton is getting more and more into. It sort of links with the heritage of the Towers and such and I think it's appropriate.

Whilst at the same time they have a plethora of child friendly areas :p

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
Do we know if there's anthing else planned for this new area? Surely it cant have just coasters?

To be honest, i dont think there's any room for a flat.

^ And i agree how that the dark areas of the park link in with the Towers.

jack.bell

Mega Poster
yea i see what you mean.

whatever happpened to theme parks being happy places?? corr! but the other areas i cant see getting a retheme so im not sure how there going to make it work.

unless the advertise only to goths!

Status
Not open for further replies.