What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
the backwards helix is pretty large- its larger than the first helix! this leads me to believe there will be some pace to the train around it. combine this with the fact that the station is only 3 stories- there must be some form of launch

must must must

with the fact that the station is only 3 stories

Maybe so, but the helix is one BIGASS ditch adding an extra story. The banking is very very minimal, considering the size of the helix and the drop height..I doubt it has any extra speed..I reallly wouldn't get any hopes up.

Quote:
with the fact that the station is only 3 stories

Maybe so, but the helix is one BIGASS ditch adding an extra story. The banking is very very minimal, considering the size of the helix and the drop height..I doubt it has any extra speed..I reallly wouldn't get any hopes up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of the deluded people on here, pinning their hopes and dreams of the family coaster suddinly having a 100mph backwards upside down tilt-launch where the car actually jumps through the sky with no track...

I'm simply suggesting that some form of accelertion- fastish kicker wheels or whatever currently seems more likely on a piece of dropping track as i don't believe that a tilt would be able to give the train enough energy to get up such a large helix at anything faster than snail pace.... even if was just like Irn Bru Revs.

And to all of you going on about backwards launches and such, viability wise, a backwards launch is perfectly viable up to a certain speed. Indiana Jones at DLP when it ran backwards had far more viscous forces than a simply linear smooth launch, so that pretty much blows any argument centered around forces apart...

Does Winjas also drop a bit? I can not fully remember as we broke down, but I do sort of remember a small drop/trick at the end.

Yeah... *SPOILER*

No, REALLY, spoiler. If you don't know what Winjas does, please stop reading. It's something everyone should experience themselves cause it's awesome.

STOP IF YOU DON'T KNOW

PLEASE?

OK

The back part of the brakes drops, whilst the front stays. So, the whole thing doesn't drop vertically, and thus Alton COULD get away with it.

Just because a backwards tilt/launch has been done already, doesn't mean that it can't be used here. They didn't say that the world's first will be how they get the train to go backwards.
I understand that, of course, the indoor section is the most probable place for the world's first element to be, but not definitely. There's still the matter of the trains or maybe another lie (like air and oblivion :lol: ). Also, how would they market the world's first forward and backwards tilt without giving the secret away or having too long a title?

As has been noted already, all these fiddly drop/tilt/launch options don't lend themselves to marketing very well.

Oblivion was marketed as a "world first" by virtue of it's ride type, i.e. Dive Machine.

I wonder if Alton will take the same approach with SW6, and if Intamin have come up with a new feature which they can incorporate into a new "type"?

Also, with the final helix being below ground level, it would be straightforward to make it enclosed and have FX in there of some kind, which might explain the lack of banking/speed.

I think the final helix will use some kind of effects, it's just too wide, even if it is in a trench.

I've always said any backwards launch this would have would br very small, only enough to get it round the turn to the switch back, but I highly doubt a lauch will take place, for two reasons, first, all evidence points to a tilt, and also, the track will start turning straight after the switch track, so the launch would have to curve.

A full dropping track would be a first, Winjas is a tilt, as far as I understand.

On Winjas...
it doesn't really count as a backwards tilt. It's more of a see-saw. You go up and stop at an angle and then it flips like you're on a see-saw and it releases you the other side. Plus it's only backwards on one side as the seats are back to back. Also that section near the end isn't really drop track. It's like it's on a spring so the track bounces a foot or so.
So Alton could get away easily by doing either as it'll be a first proper one.

OK, to clear things up for people who obviously haven't read much of the topic:

-If the indoor element is the worlds first (which is likely, but not confirmed):
**The tilt section can NOT be the worlds first. Togo Ultratwisters. So, no.

Equally, I'd argue that the building simply doesn't look designed to house a tilt mechanism. We have a massive hole with no slant to the bottom of it. It is literally a hole. Then on top of it, a two storey building. The train enters at the raised level, horizontally. Now, if the track were to tilt, and aim for the further back trench it would quite simply, NOT be necessary for the massive hole to exist. The hole will have cost a lot to excavate AND will constantly need to have water pumped out of it, so, it would not make sense to exist in its current form, unless it formed part of the ride area, rather than the plant area.

I firmly believe that we'll see a dropping mechanism of some sort, simply because the upper storey of the building isn't really large enough to manoevure the train in any other way, if the train is more than a few cars long.

How would you market it, you ask. Here's a few ideas off hand:

-World's first horizontal dropping coaster
-World's first 'freefall/falling coaster' (or whatever they decide to call the hybrid type)
-World's first falling track

They're all ridiculously predictable marketing targets, and all likely, after all, Oblivion was the worlds first 'vertical drop coaster'. Why not the worlds first horizontal drop coaster in the same park. Weird name perhaps and hard to visualise, but its just the sort of thing marketing execs are paid bigdollars for...[/b]

^Tbh simply is the most likely, I seem to recall Oblivion having a lot of random 'fantasy' rumours, then in the end, it was a very very simple idea that no-one had ever really thought about before (theme park management wise)...

So yeah, what he said...

Everyone is assuming the train will leave the station going forwards, who is to say it might be backwards all the way and the inside part makes it go forwards?

Who knows.

Maybe it will go forwards and there is a turn table inside?

A turntable would be interesting, but not a "world's first". The Big Apple coaster at Astroland was heavily modified to include a turntable in the station to provide a 2-train operational setup.

Totally cool, too!

Yep but they dont have a turn table where the train carries on if you know what I mean. So that would be a worlds first. The train would enter going forwards and leave going backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.