What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I personally dont think a launch will be involved. Rita is only a matter of yards away, and wouldn't it be hard with the fin that runs under the train for tyre/lift hill?

Which begs another thought, I hope Intamin can do these tyre/lifts probably, as some I know of have to close in the rain, due to the train slipping backwards.

neo

Mega Poster
Construction was progressing nicely yesterday. I-beam supports have arrived on site, whilst the station foundation is nearing completion, although the world first is still no clearer (no photos unfortunately). The main focus of construction is now on footer construction in the woodland section. But over in the car park, in section ‘J’ (yes it does exist), a great deal more track and supports have arrived. Indeed the first pieces that arrived are now lost within a sea of black steel.

overview1o.jpg

track5.jpg

See what I mean? It’s actually very well hidden from the other car parks, but you’ll no doubt see it if you’re going to the Boiler House during Scarefest.

supports1.jpg

Some really heavy duty steel work can be seen in the above photo. I suspect those pieces on the right may be supports for the woodland section, and I also suspect that the cylindrical parts may have something to do with sound dampening.

support2.jpg

More structural items can be seen in the above photo, with a bit of detail below.

detail1.jpg

track1a.jpg

But of course track is much more interesting. Side note: It would seem that the supports are using a footing technique very similar to that of Saw – The Ride, i.e. stick the coloured end in the ground and pour cement around it.

track2c.jpg

As the above photo would illustrate, there are now more than enough pieces with motor brackets to prove a tyre driven lift.

track3.jpg

Intamin world first behind a fence until spring 2010.

track4l.jpg

I’m looking forward to it.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Good god, there is a lot! Still no sign of the worlds first though..

Ohhh curvy Intamin bi-rail; can't wait to ride this one! I can see the colour scheme being pretty much entirely black, which isn't a bad thing, not necessarily outstanding however. :p

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Surely this has been suggested before that maybe the motor drive sections are for the station and brakes?

Since practically every coaster (especially Intamin) uses tyres within the station...

Who made the assumption of tyre-driven lift hill?

A-Kid

Giga Poster
There was a few sections of track with a tyre drive, that had wheel points very close together. Very much like other Family coasters. That wouldn't be necassary for a level station track piece. Plus, this would need a fin to pop down in the centre between the wheels. No room for a chain drive with all of that on it.

Also I guess that could be why they did the noice test on X:\. Its similar in the way it has a tyre drive lift and a similar type of ride...

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Could someone please explain these bits of the plan here.

fxdxci.jpg

Is this the finale helix? If so, it's not very heavily banked and the brakes are pretty low.

I think we can cancel any kind of launch out. But that's one hefty trench there.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
It's interesting to note that in the blueprints were looking at a tri, or box track but in these snaps it all seems to be bi rail. What's up with that?

Also can anyone clarify this is definitely Intamin from the pictures?

A-Kid

Giga Poster
^The Tri/Box track is Rita.

^^That is the final helix in the trench. I actually thought the helix would come higher than that but oh well.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
It's interesting to note that in the blueprints were looking at a tri, or box track but in these snaps it all seems to be bi rail. What's up with that?

Yeah pay attention, that's Rita. All the track for SW6 in the plans is bi-rail.

marc

CF Legend
In the original drawings was the track not different on the lift hill and some of the drops? This is why people at 1st thought it was going to be a Megalite.

A

Anonymous

neo said:
track2c.jpg

As the above photo would illustrate, there are now more than enough pieces with motor brackets to prove a tyre driven lift.

Definitely looks like a tyre driven lift. Far too many pieces for a station. Disappointment. :bang:

Mark

Strata Poster
To me it kinda reminds me of the track from Movie Park in Germany that was used on Cop Car Chase.... It was pretty much bi-rail throughout the whole ride.
http://www.rcdb.com/970.htm?p=0

IM NOT SAYING THAT IS WHAT IT IS OR ANYTHING THOUGH!

I just think it all looks very similar.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Actually an interesting point.

To be honest I'm glad nobody is picking up any clues at the moment, I value the mystery Alton leaves us with.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Stop treating it as if it's the end of the world; all it is - is the segment that transports you to the top of the climb and into the fun. After this "tyre driven lift" is what I'm interested in.

And I agree that it looks a lot like Cop Car Chase; we are probably not even having "mine train" themed trains. We could be having floorless trains for all I care...

Nah :p

Status
Not open for further replies.