What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Talking about dropping track.

The track drops, tower ride style, then a launch puches it out backwards into the helix.

Drop would be a first.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Sounds a bit "crusty" to me.
I would find it a little hard to market something as the "World's first tilting rollercoaster but when it tilts it launches, yep we did it first!"

A vertical launch would seem odd I reckon. And when you already have a very nearly vertical drop coaster & launch coaster in the same park, I wouldn't be inspired to ride the incest child of the two.
I think we're on the wrong track with this World first bit, but if I end up being wrong and Blaze is right, just take my pride.

nealbie

CF Legend
*attempts in vain to hide evidence of obvious drug smoking*

World's first traditional and suspended roller coaster..... Don't take me too seriously though. But I do wonder whether that's possible? :lol:

andrus

Giga Poster
I think we've got two excellent guesses now!

A section were the entire train and track drop at the indoor section would indeed be a booth exciting and a worlds first element. And it's very likely it'll be something like this since intamin is very experienced in drop tower rides!

A coaster with both regular and inverted track is also very doable and would certainly be easy to promote as a worlds first. The only objection towards this idea is that the trains would effectively block the entire view in over-the-track mode..

I think I'll go with the drop suggestion for now.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
rollermonkey said:
Tilt and Launch on the same segment of track?
:?:
No. If it drops, there would be a launch, a titlt wouldn't need it.

A normal and inverted ride would not work, pretty much impossible, and pointless, more so on this ride, the helix is clearly sit-down, not inverted, so it would be inverted for a very small amount of time.

The tilt would only be about 45 degrees, not vertical, there is just not enough room for the track of the tilt section and the pullout.

Hope I am right, have been on everything else so far (not bragging or anything...), but coulcn't care less if I am or not.

andrus

Giga Poster
To strengthen the dropping track theory even more; what is the one thing alton is missing that every other decent theme park got? A drop tower!

In this ride they could get both a thrilling roller coaster and a drop tower like ride experience in one!

I think I got it! :lol:

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Which, like I've already mentioned somewhere, would probably ruin Oblivion or spoil the experience. The whole idea of Oblivion is a freefall, drop, dive, descent or whatever you want to call it. Having another ride with the drop being it's strongpoint would ruin everything Alton have achieved with Oblivion. Surely?

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
furie said:
Coaster-Fiend said:
#pmbo said:
Why don't you want this coaster to fit in that category? I think it would be a good move for Alton, they've got enough thrill rides... Haven't they?

Because-

1)- It been over 10 years since AT got a good thrill ride
2)- They're the only type of rides I am really interested in
3)- Barnes did say it will be something really spectacular, so that set fan expectation pretty high. I want to see those statements justified.

1. Just because you don't like air, spinball or Rita does not mean Alton haven't put in good thrill rides. I prefer air to Superman: Ultimate Flight at Great Adventure and Rita rates second of all the accelerators I've been on. I don't think either are great, but they're both still the most popular rides with guests at Alton Towers at the moment. So they ARE good thrill rides.

2. If you're not interested in other rides, then just go to Thorpe or move to Magic Mountain, Cedar Point or Great Adventure. Sadly thrill rides don't bring in the cash. So if Alton paid a fortune for a new large thrill ride, they'd get very little ROI and then they would have to sacrifice other things.

3. Barnes was full of crap. Tough :lol: I don't think he ever expected enthusiasts to be impressed anyway. They installed a brand new ride type (B&M Flying coaster) and enthusiasts hate it. They installed one of the fastest accelerators in Europe and enthusiasts hated it. Why the hell should anyone at any park anywhere make an effort putting in rides that are only popular with enthusiasts, when enthusiasts seem to pretty much hate everything? Just keep on giving the public what you tell them you want. Balls to the 0.001% of visitors that care.

:)

1.Maybe good by your definition but to me air and Rita were both severely lacking after the high standards Nemesis and Oblivion both set. Both SW3 & 4 were/are outstanding coasters so the bar was set pretty high after that. You may prefer air to Supes but for me it was the other way round. Likewise Rita is toss compared to many other rocket coasters. Even Baco was better and that is nothing special. air & Rita= Good rides maybe, but by Alton’s previous standards? Fail.

3.Why should I move to Thorpe or Cali to experience a good thrill ride?
After 11 years I don’t think it’s too much to ask that AT get’s another world beater. That is, afterall how they made their name in the 90’s.

3.Barnes may have been full of crap but he still set the expectation pretty high and caught the imagination of the geeks (inc myself) who remember the glory years of Alton- the 1990’s.

Enthusiasts don’t hate everything, they just felt let down by air and Rita because they were totally half assed compared to their previous installations. Well Rita was. I’m not here to argue for the sake of it, just to highlight a valid perspective. Personally I’m excited about Alton’s new installation I’d just be more excited if the signs pointed towards a white knuckle ride. Still, it looks like something interesting atleast.

Too bad If you don't like the fact that I would prefer it to be a thrill ride.
Heheh.

andrus

Giga Poster
To me oblivion is a dive machine, not a drop ride. The experience differs quite a bit.

In a DM you're facing down, you get a certain feeling of air time but the forces are in a straight angel towards your chest. On the other hand in a drop ride you're sitting in an up right position making the force act in an straight angel from your head almost making your stomach turn inside out while the negative g:s work on your body, a lot creepier! Also the fact that you're connected to a track in a DM makes it feel more safe (at least to me) than a drop ride.

A DM is all about speed and the "dive feeling" whilst a drop ride is more about free falling and stomach bending!

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
But it wouldn't work. How can you market a drop tower different to Oblivion, when Oblivion is advertised as like the ultimate freefall etc?

And, SW6 is nothing to do with drop towers, it's a rollercoaster! :p

andrus

Giga Poster
Ok I admit it will be hard to advertise (because of oblivion) but it would certainly be a really cool worlds first!

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^To be fair... All Alton have done is say it'll be a worlds first and put some banners up around the park. We're the ones doing the overhyping.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Boredom leads to such silliness when a new ride is being built...

I'd rather not know what the indoor section comprises of, unlike Saw when I went in September and they had the track lying there I turned around to Mushroom and said "That's for an indoor vertical drop", and of course it was...

So yeah, maybe someone's got it right, maybe not, but I'd rather not know and just watch the construction (which I should probably do at the park instead of on here :lol:)

Status
Not open for further replies.