What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
They may do, but only if they reach a certain sales range I think, or if it's clear that there's "an issue" with used games (or too many people game sharing as Sony found which is why they ditched the 5 uses to 2).

kimahri

CF Legend
ECG said:
david morton said:
So Microsoft backtrack.... (thats a good thing right?)

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

* An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

* Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.
One more reversal from Microsoft: Region-locking will be removed from the Xbox One as well - a change I doubt Microsoft will publicize on its own site, but reported by Giant Bomb.com.

Region locking is **** bollocks and should have been abolished years ago.

marc

CF Legend
Sorry Furie I meant the need to be online thing.

There are a lot of people saying if its that easy to remove it will be just as easy to turn back on.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
They may do it and with good reason... I think Tomahawk has hit on something here which I hadn't realised.

Before this announcement, you could "share" a bought game with up to ten family members. Now, it was never clear if that was on one console or ten consoles.

If it was ten consoles, that was pretty smart to be honest, but could only be achieved by having the online connection and DRM system in place. The DRM link was your proof of ownership, now it's the actual disk in the drive.

So for people with a family looking at buying an XBOne, they're probably getting a worse deal now. If Tom and his Wife both have an XBOne, they will now both have to buy copies of, say, Forza 5 to play the game. Under the system MS have now abolished, they could have bought it once and just shared it - both could have played it on their own XBOnes (probably).

This kind of proves that you shouldn't knee-jerk and that you (MS) should make policies crystal clear before announcing them. I think that [some] XBOne owners will now have a much worse deal than they did yesterday.

And STILL Sony aren't being dragged out to explain why they're better, or what their DRM/Pass/sharing system is all about.

Intricks

Strata Poster
^ Because theyve already talked about it during their E3 conferance Furie. Its near the same thing as before, just you have to pay to play online now. Same benefits, same 3rd Party publisher deciding if their games are across an account or yiu havw to buy it again. They havent changed it much beyond the pay to play.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, but they haven't explained why it's better than the MS proposed system :p

That's what I meant. And they haven't said how many consoles a PSN downloaded game can be shared across...

Pierre

Strata Poster
So, worked out cheaper to by the last of us in a 500gb ps3 bundle than buying a preowned ps3 (other than 12gb) so got the bundle.

It is criminal that even in the new super slims you only get an AV cable and not a HDMI one :-(

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Pierre said:
It is criminal that even in the new super slims you only get an AV cable and not a HDMI one :-(

That is actually - WTF are they thinking? Eugh.

Found out Game are doing a £20 bonus trade in if you put a £20 deposit on a PS4. Thinking Battlefield 3 may suddenly be worth a lot more traded in that it would have been otherwise :)

Intricks

Strata Poster
furie said:
Yeah, but they haven't explained why it's better than the MS proposed system :p

That's what I meant. And they haven't said how many consoles a PSN downloaded game can be shared across...

Because they know their network at its current state cant compete with the sheer magnitude of Live. One can safely guess that if the only major difference is that you have to pay to play, then the rest will be the same since all they did was skim over everything in about 15 minutes. So the same differences are still there: 4 free games a month, constant discounts on other games, a vastly larger library to chose from than XBoxs current one. That is where the PS+ surpases Live (to my knowledge, I havent booted up my 360 since Borderlands 2 came out, so I dont know of any recent changes to Live) really.

Now, Im going to backtrack a bit and respond towards your theoretical gaming dilema in the household now that the sharing feature is no longer useful. How many families are really going to take use of this feature by buying multiple consoles at the very beginning. Even buying 2 consoles is still a severely hefty price to shell out immediately. So lets use your above example of tomahawk and his wife each buying a console. Thats 1k down the drain, now, we have to look at the games they would buy that would really be of USE for the sharing to really take hold. In order to make up for that loss, they would need to get either 2 games shared 10x each, or get 2p games to share between one another. That is still considerably hard to do since most people will go after the more popular titles at launch, so that means the sharing would only take effect later on when more titles are available to purchase that others might not find interest in. Sharing within the household is different, but that would still require around 20 games to be shared between the 2 to really "save". Thats not even adding in the fact that both od them would only be interested with certain games, and the strict 500GB HD could fill up within that time.

Microsoft was pushing for this thought pattern to take hold and went the "cheaper in the long-run" approach. If a household doesnt buy more than 1 console at release or at one time, then game sharing doesnt really take hold and work like they want it too. Its an idea that looks great on paper and works in theory, but the vast number of X Factors they have seemingly overlooked makes this an unrealistic approach when applied to everyday life.

Its just simpler to go the tried and true route because console gamers strictly want the tried and true route, not the massive downside to PC gaming.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
But it never said it had to stay in the "household" just "family". Yet, they announced yesterday, policy gone so we will never know. THIS is where Microsoft dropped the ball. I wish I would have known how they would have determined what is a family, because that would have been interesting. You can't do based off last name, obviously, so do you have to define it in initial set up of the console? Obviously you wouldn't be able to remove people, but it would have been interesting.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Family means exactly that - you had to have a family account (like I do for the wife, Aidan & myself). Anyone on that account, regardless if on the same xbox or each on their own (like we have), can share the games.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Have Sony changed their stance on ps+ or have I benefited from a cock - up? I just resubscribed to ps+ and can play all games from my previous subscription even though it had expired for three months...?

Pierre

Strata Poster
Yeah, but my subscription expired, I thought this meant even when I resubscribed I wouldn't be able to play the ones from my previous subscription. That was the impression I was under anyway and sure furie had a problem with his at one point.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Nope, so long as they are listed under your account at a time of subscription purpose they should work as is whenever you are subscribed.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
ECG said:
^Family means exactly that - you had to have a family account (like I do for the wife, Aidan & myself). Anyone on that account, regardless if on the same xbox or each on their own (like we have), can share the games.

Does the family account have 10 members currently? (Genuine question)

If it does, then yes, it would have worked as the family account does now. If not, then they would have had some other mechanism in place - probably some kind of list where you put in the names of people you classed as "family" and they could all access your stuff. That was the impression I got from the MS interviews.

Pierre said:
Yeah, but my subscription expired, I thought this meant even when I resubscribed I wouldn't be able to play the ones from my previous subscription. That was the impression I was under anyway and sure furie had a problem with his at one point.

According to the Sony rules, if your subscription ends, you lose all access to content and they "cannot guarantee" that you will regain access after you resubscribe.

In other words, they don't have a mechanism in place which deals with people who allow their subscriptions to lapse and rejoin later - so they just say "it probably won't work". Typical Sony nonsense and inability to run network services :lol:

Yeah, I had the issue where I was barred from using all my old content, even though I'd resubscribed. I can't remember how I ended mine now (it's all of 12 months ago :p ). I know I benefited though. I think I cancelled and got a refund. Then I waited a few months and resubscribed and magically all my content was back - including all the stuff I'd been barred from.

I missed about three months of turd free stuff, but ended up with my cash back, the six months of stuff I'd been refunded for available anyway and a new subscription.

Yeah, I like that Sony are crap :lol:

Jer

Strata Poster
I would like to just take this time quickly to recommend and remember how trippy Child of Eden is, for the first time in a while I fired it up, and it is a complete trip, it looks amazing, and it plays amazing, and while it isn't as great as Rez (which it is a spiritual successor to) it is still a great game in it's own right, and is much more of a trip than Rez.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
The Last Of Us ... so far.

I haven't completed it yet, but it's more like a piece of art than a video game. Graphics aren't everything blah blah blah, but these are the most stunning visuals of any game ever. I can't wait to see what they do with the PS4.

The story is gripping, however I can only play for like an hour at a time or I'll go insane, fearing what's around the next corner takes it out of you.