What's new

The Games we play...

Hutch

Strata Poster
I just got a new Wii U and started LEGO City Undercover. So far I'm really liking the Wii U features, and the game itself is pretty fun and goofy.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I'm taking a trip back to the '80s and downloaded Zelda Classic on my Mac OS X and am playing the original Legend of Zelda. Got off to a slow start, but I'm liking it more as I play it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Pierre said:
I'll post these again now I'm back on PS :p

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/07/ ... a-ii-more/

New games to PS+ coming Wed 31st July.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Mafia II
Spec Ops: The Line
Lego Lord of the Rings (Vita)
When Vikings Attack (Vita)

I'm quite interested in both NFS:MW and Mafia II. Just finished Uncharted on the Vita and Battlefield 3 Campaign - so I have some free gaming time now to put into both of them.

Pierre said:
I'm hoping I can get When Vikings Attack for PS3 with it having cross-save. Doubt it though.

It was definitely cross-buy originally, but maybe they've got two versions of it. It's such a fun game, one to play with mates after a few beers :)

Nemesis Inferno said:
Pikmin 3 is out which means there's something new and decent (hopefully ;)) on the Wii U!!! :eek:

*dies of shock*

Well it'll be decent, as it'll just be a HD version of the other two games. As they were good, it'll be the same. As for new... :p

Pierre

Strata Poster
I've kind of had enough of NFS:MW :/ picked it up when I had the Vita - when I got my Samsung Galaxy S4 I also got the mobile version free with it (its surprisingly neat on the phone!).

Will still play this no doubt.

Anyway, latest hardware sales - not sure how well this is going to C&P but we'll see.

Platform-|-N. America-|-Europe-|-Japan---|-Global
3DS------|-37,320------|-40,180-|-55,610-|-141,417
PS3------|-27,628------|-48,160-|-11,455-|-112,836
X360----|- 41,329------|-29,151-|-331-----|-77,323
PSP------|-1,561--------|-19,941-|-5,707--|-45,986
WiiU-----|- 9,973--------|-6,431--|-14,067-|-32,770
PSV------|-5,470--------|-7,810--|-14,039-|-31,930
Wii-------|-10,485------|-10,284-|-1,501--|-24,456
DS-------|-10,254------|-822-----|-39-------|-11,494

Couple of things surprise me in this - the PSP still outselling the PS Vita (need to find out the other territories as there are ~20,000 units sold unaccounted for as they weren't in USA/Europe/Japan)

How well the original DS is still selling in USA. It's dead in Japan. The Wii U still isn't really taking off outside of Japan.

PS3 and XB360 are around 20 million total units behind the Wii, with their successors coming shortly, its unlikely they'll take over.

On another note, the Nintendo DS (original) has sold 154.7m units which is just behind the record seller, the PS2 which sold 157.68m units. If USA keeps up its love for the original DS, this does have potential to become the most sold gaming unit ever?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I edited your post Pierre to try and make it a little clearer. It's helped a bit, but not much :lol:

I think the DS and PSP thing is all down to price. The PS2 was still selling exceptionally well after the PS3 release with people taking advantage of the fact the hardware was next to nothing to pick up (comparatively) and the software library was huge. Though I have noticed that availability of both PSP and DS games is getting tighter in the high street and there aren't many new releases for the DS and none for the PSP. Still, neither were bad systems and if you can get the hardware and a dozen decent games for under £100 (if you hunt around and can find them for sale), why not?

Sony are betting everything Vita on the PS4 integration I think. There are also some cracking prices on the Vita now, so sales may be bolstered when the PS4 is released. However, there's simply no games for it. Actually, that's untrue, there are a lot of games for it (and some good ones), but it's similar to the Wii U that it has a small library and very few "must have" titles (or none for either console actually).

At least the Wii U is building that now with Nintendo releases due between now and this time next year, you could average one every two months or so. The Vita is a trickle of low level games.

I don't think Sony have helped themselves by putting PS+ on the Vita either. There's nothing really in terms of boxed games on the shelf to sell the console. It's all PSN or the same games on the shelf given away free. Without the huge numbers of games on shelves to entice buyers in shops, they're missing out on a large market. Though I have noticed Asda have started stocking the Vita and games again. Tesco also have a large "Sony stand" which promotes the Vita.

I think Sony have started the push on it now, ready for people to take advantage of it with the PS4 - both kind of help the sale of the other. They still need a "Mario" though (LBP just doesn't cut it) on the Vita, a game to really get people really excited for the system. They've had portable versions of the PS3 stuff (which the PSP tried and failed with) and just one or two stand out titles (like Gravity Rush). Tearaway looks good, but not brilliant - I just think it's too LBP and will be passed over. I think Puppeteer would have been a better development for the Vita as it would have worked graphically as a stunning show piece, as well as pushing platforming to new territories.

PS+ really is the killer though. I just don't buy things for the Vita as I know there's such a lack of titles that eventually everything I want will come to it anyway for free (eventually). If there was a superb third party game that grabbed my attention, then I'd actually buy it, but there just isn't. However, my Vita does get used because of the free things thrown at me :)

The DS/3DS will always do well with Pokemon and kiddy shovelware **** like Moshi theme park (MMF got it for his birthday, he thinks it's the best game ever :roll: ). Add in Mario Kart and the odd plumber and the systems will sell well. I doubt the 3DS will ever reach the DS numbers though as tablets and mobile phones eat into the "casual portable market". Obviously that's a bigger blow for Sony and the Vita.

Wii U sales have dropped in the last quarter too to 160,000 units shifted. It'll pick up a little coming up to Christmas and the new games being released, but it needs a dramatic price cut to make it really appealing. Unfortunately, Nintendo are making a loss per console sold as it is and with third parties dropping development for it and stores like Asda dropping selling it, it's a tough battle for Nintendo.

They're still making money though :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Having said all that :lol:

Retro City Rampage (cross buy) is on sale today at £3.99 and so is Urban Trial Freestyle (Vita). While I suspect both will drop into PS+ at some point in the future, both games for less than a tenner is more than tempting. I don't mind paying that now (less than a week after pay day :p ) to support the people making the games (not that they don't get anything by providing them on PS+ mind).

Two great games and will provide a lot of hours of fun for a few quid :)

Would also look at the new Sly game too on sale at £10.99 for the kids, but they don't deserve it and it can wait to be PS+d :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Triple post FTW.

I've put in a few hours on NFS:MW and it's pretty much what I expected, Burnout Paradise with a NFS makeover, crossed a little with Hot Pursuit. It's okay and there's loads to do, but it's nothing stunning.

My biggest issue (and generally with open world stuff) is that it's too undefined. You keep finding cars, but there's no real guidance on what events you can enter with what cars, or what upgrades are available where and when and which are shared and stuff. If you actually want to work through the game, there's too much in the way distracting you. I've had this moan before ;)

The biggest issue is that you have events that are tough, REALLY tough mixed in with stuff that you absolutely walk. It turns out that the car you have makes a difference, but you never really spend enough time in a car to really understand and there's just no guidance. So you spend half an hour in what you think is the best car (the fastest say) on an event, only to discover that you needed a brute. Or maybe you didn't, but the yo-yo AI changes in a slower car and because you're slower, you don't crash as much.

Actually, Burnout always suffered from that. It was thrilling to fill the Burnout metre and go full whack, but in reality, it punished you more for going faster as the real word wasn't compatible with driving quickly. You were best putting on a flat cap and doing 5 MPH below the speed limit and still winning the race ;)

So yeah, lots of game, but it's all stuff I've done before for many years, so the problems really stand out for me.

Mafia II was good (only put in about three hours so far). It's not as much fun "sandboxing" as GTA is, but it's a much better story game than GTA IV was. I'll eventually complete this one I think as long as it doesn't through in too many distractions.

MMF loves having Lego Lord of the Rings on the Vita, but he's finding it hard not having me playing alongside him to help.

Did WVA work for you on the PS3 Pierre? I notice that Sony do a "PS3 with cross buy" version of most games, then also a "Vita only" version for a little less. I guess it's the latter?

I did get a bit bored and wanted something different. I also had just over £10 which has been sitting on my PSN account for ages (I just don't buy things from PSN any more) and decided to get Playstation All Stars.

It's an odd one. I played the Beta and didn't like it. I played the demo and didn't like it, but people do seem to like it. So I read a review to see if it was worth £11.

Turns out I'd missed the point completely. I was playing it as Super Smash Brothers (which it definitely looks like and when you first pick it up it plays like). It's not though, the basic win mechanic is completely different. That explains why I couldn't get the hang of it.

So I picked it up (cross buy too, so I could play on the Vita when the TV is in use). It's fantastic for £11. It's got a very simple gameplay system that you can pick up and start to play with (Kratos is particularly easy for n00bs), but a massive depth of complexity. The range of moves and strategies is incredibly diverse. It's much more calculated than SSMB, waiting for the prime opportunity, the right move or the critical mistake by an opponent to get the win. It can be frantic like SSMB, but if you pick the right character, it can be quite a calm and brooding experience too.

See, it's all about gaining special moves to kill another player. You can only use a special move to make a kill. There are three levels of power moves to boost up to. They can be blocked and their effectiveness is very varied. Some like Kratos are powerful at low levels and easy to use, but the most powerful ones are much more difficult. Others have really awkward low power moves, but if they can pull off a level three, it's unbeatable.

You gain the special move powers by hitting your opponents. You can also have your move power drained by scenery events (the scenery stuff is very cool) or by being battered in certain ways, with certain characters and certain moves. Other characters (Like Parappa the Rapper) can generate power points using moves.

It means you can find yourself getting battered by one character and losing a couple of lives, but then with your powerful third move, claim three kills in one hit by killing all opponents. You're constantly thinking about the overall strategy, while actually building power and avoiding dying if you can.

It's much better than SSMB which always seemed to be a bit of a random button mash. You can button mash this too, but learning the moves reaps massive benefits to help you win. You can't lay out your strategies without knowing the moves that give your character an advantage.

So yeah, once you forget you're not playing SSMB, it's a great game and brilliant for the £11 it is on sale at the moment. Though no doubt it'll be free on PS+ next month now :lol:

kimahri

CF Legend
So yeah... after spending over a grand to buy a new computer I've been playing... Quake... I've got other stuff on my steam list so It's not going to waste!

Anyway, yeah, Quake from 1996... It's pretty much the most basic and simple you can get with an FPS but, it's so damn fun. It's just pure raw fun with frantic as hell pacing.

It's weird. How did Quake and Unreal get replaced with COD and other shooters that are essentially on-rails forcing your along generic ness rather than let you run around pissing about in genericness and laughing at it.

speaking of pissing about... Got Gmod working... :3

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Quake was quite good fun, but I was always into Unreal and UT. I just never gelled with the controls for the Quake games for some reason. It's too slippery.

I've no idea why COD et al replaced the fun of Quake and Unreal, but I suspect that it's because people wanted gritty realism rather than fantasy. Oddly, the reason Quake and Unreal were stand out titles was because they were so "grown up". So they appealed to exactly the same people who now play COD because it makes them grown up. Quake and the like are seen as too childish and fun. Yet 20 years ago, they were serious and adult.

I guess it didn't help that Epic just made more UT time and again, not changing enough or realising that they'd actually grown the game too big. It was initially like Quake, all about tight fighting and frantic. It became all about who got the big vehicles and the massed battles that required team work. To begin with, it could be team based, but it was really all about how good you were individually. COD also hooks into this ability to be an individual elite.

Of course, Epic then essentially selling out to MS to make brown shooters pretty much finished them off - though to be fair, GoW is quite a good evolution of Unreal and UT.

Quake just wasn't making sales and iD lost their way.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I'm gonna try to download Ocarina of Time on my Wii (I'm a fan of Zelda if it isn't obvious yet). Just need to get my hands on a classic controller, then I can finally try out the "best game of all time."

jolash

Mega Poster
I just traded in a few games and a couple old controllers I've picked up over the years and got both the Mass Effect Trilogy and GTA IV Complete Edition brand new, and was still able to renew my Gamestop Premium membership and put a few bucks down on a preorder for NHL 14.

kimahri

CF Legend
Got Crackdown for the 360 coz it was free. It's so weird. Started it and skipped the opening cut scene and it just started screaming at me to "CLEAN UP THE CITY AGENT!!!!" so I drive out and there random gang members fighting police and **** just going crazy everywhere and it's screaming at me more to capture supply point.

It really just flat out dumps you into the game and screams at you, it's kind of oppresive. It's good stupid fun though.

jolash

Mega Poster
kimahri said:
Got Crackdown for the 360 coz it was free. It's so weird. Started it and skipped the opening cut scene and it just started screaming at me to "CLEAN UP THE CITY AGENT!!!!" so I drive out and there random gang members fighting police and **** just going crazy everywhere and it's screaming at me more to capture supply point.

It really just flat out dumps you into the game and screams at you, it's kind of oppresive. It's good stupid fun though.

Lol, I got Crackdown too. I've played a bit of it before, back when it was a new game. But yeah, it really just throws ya out there. Says "hey, show these peacekeepers who's the real deal and take down this entire mob fortress with that pistol"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've still got it to play too... Must really think about if I should renew my XBL Gold membership too - I don't think I get my money's worth...

Brookes

Giga Poster
Just got platinum on the Vita version of Need for Speed: Most Wanted. As a fan of the Need for Speed series, I really enjoyed playing this game and I think it is one of the better games they've done. However, it does suffer from the problems furie has mentioned. If you just casually play the game through (as I did) you lose track of which events you have and haven't won (even if you've played them) and there's no way of finding out at any point. So it's a bit of pain to keep track with where you are in the game, as races can only be selected once you're in a certain car. Despite this, it has a really good online mode with the speed lists including racing to the meetup for challenges and races, so there is no waiting around unlike when you play online on many other games.

I'm really tempted to get the PS+ subscription as I'd love to play LEGO Lord of the Rings on Vita and also wouldn't mind playing a bit of Most Wanted on the PS3 to see how it compares to the portable version. Considering I'll need it for the PS4, it seems like a bit of a no-brainer.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I honestly can't believe there's anyone with a PS3 who uses it who doesn't have PS+ to be honest. It's ridiculously priced for all it offers. Even if you just end up using the games as "extended demos", you're bound to find at least three or four games a year that you would play as a bought title.

If you have a Vita, it makes even more sense...