What's new

The Games we play...

Brookes

Giga Poster
The only reason I am slightly reluctant is that when I'm at uni, which works out to be about half of the year, I barely use it. But even if I only play like four of the games throughout the year as you say, it still works out to be cheap so I think I'll go for it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
^LOL Marc, if you had time to play on the PS3, you'd get tons of games you'd never play :p

Brookes said:
The only reason I am slightly reluctant is that when I'm at uni, which works out to be about half of the year, I barely use it. But even if I only play like four of the games throughout the year as you say, it still works out to be cheap so I think I'll go for it.

What I do, because I just don't have time to play everything, is "purchase" the free games, and then download them in slow periods when I do have time. Once you've gone through the process of buying a game, you keep access to download for as long as you have PS+

So you just need to find fifteen minutes once a month to pick up the games, then download and play them at a later point :)

Hutch

Strata Poster
Playing A Link to the Past right now, which is buckets of fun. And as soon as the classic controller comes in the mail, I'll be able to start Ocarina of Time. :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I almost completed Mafia II, but it crashed on the very last section of the last mission. The save is **** , so I have to start again, with over an hour of tedious last chapter to go through. SO I haven't. I hate craply written games.

So I picked up Sound Shapes and Retro City Rampage as they're currently cheap (and cross buy) :)

Sound Shapes is fab, but it's a platform game which is obviously bad. I love the way the music works with it, it's glorious. Superb game, really if. Just a pity I hate platformers :(

RCR is just superb. It's retro only with all the advantages of modern game design. It makes me wish every time I loaded up an old game I used to love, it was actually good like RCR, not turd :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
furie said:
Puppeteer from Sony looks absolutely stunning:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qlEhkhDxKg[/youtube]

Seriously, this is the kind of stuff Nintendo should be showing off - it's their bread and butter. Instead, they release the same old same old while being left behind.

I actually think I was being unfair to Nintendo here, as Kirby's Epic Yarn was superb, but I got the Puppeteer demo this week (available for PS+ users).

OMG. It's absolutely incredible. The style, design, animation, voice work, graphics and game play are all absolute top notch. I've never been quite so entranced by a game before. It's just a platform game, but it's so unlike any other game that has gone before. It's not rewritten platforming, but it's rewritten the rules for game production as a whole. It's a game that really blurs the line between a high quality TV show and a game, in a good way (the gameplay is absolutely solid).

Absolutely brilliant and I can see it taking home huge amounts of awards in the future. Everyone, get a PS3 and get it when it's released in a week or two :)

And talking about Nintendo being shown who's boss, I got a Wii U for my birthday. Came with Pikmin 3, Nintendoland, classic controller and a box o' **** . I also picked up Pokemon Rumble for MMF :)

Hmmmmm... What to say? It's, erm, well. It's kind of a Wii 1.5, with a bit of the 3DS chucked in. It's all a bit random though and kind of chucked together. Lots of ideas implemented, but nobody seemed to actually have much control over things. It's odd.

The controller is better than I thought, and the classic controller is lovely (USB but you can't use it on the PS3; missed opportunity there Nintendo). It's true that it's actually good to look down and use the pad. I do like it as part of the system, it's quite neat and nifty.

Store is excellent and trumps both Sony's and Microsoft's. Web browser on the Wii U pad is also great. So some positives.

It took an hour and half though from unboxing to actually starting to play a game. Lots of updates, account setups, etc. I think it was still easier than the 360 set up though, but mostly because the pad makes entering text a doddle compared to the abysmal 360 d-pad.

Started out with Nintendoland to get a feel for the different technology. I know from reviews it's a mixed bag, but it's a good way to demonstrate different ways of dealing with the pad and screen. A gentle introduction which certainly helped when I later played demos of games like Zombie U and Sonic Racing.

We know that the games are hit and miss. Some use the pad in a way that simply doesn't work (like the F-Zero one, where the pad just loses track of itself all the time) and others are too basic, or just not very good.

It's here where you start to see inconsistency though in the way the Wii U is put together; the only consistency is the lack of consistency.

For starters, you can't use the classic controller. I have a £50 (OMG, £50, really???) controller, but I can't use it because it wants a 6 year old Wii Remote from my old Wii to press the D-Pad and 1/2 buttons. Why can't it use the classic controller? There's no reason at all. If it's because the classic controller wasn't out, why not patch Nintendoland to use it?

So I can't play some games to their full potential because one of my Wii controllers has bust. Rubbish.

One thing I also really want to do is to play some games away from the TV so see how good the whole remote play thing is.

I think there's one Nintendoland game you can play solely using the Wii U pad.

So as a demonstration of the system, it really showed up a lot of flaws.

So I tried Pikmin. By this time, the battery was draining and my only recharge point is in an incommodious location so you can't see the TV properly (I've moved it since). Again, you need to look at the screen, so no remote play (not doing well on remote play so far).

It's okay though, it recognises the classic controller! WooHoo! £50 well spent (it's okay, I got it free :p ).

So I start playing and then on the screen "Look at the Wii U Pad".

What? I'm using the Classic Controller. You know I am, you said I was. The pad is on charge in a dark corner, I can't look at it!!!

If you have to use the pad, then make you use the pad. It's proper head desk stuff, it really is.

I've moved the pad stand and charger now to in front of the TV. So I can look at the pad if I'm using another controller. I keep thinking: "I wish that was a photo frame, it's in a great position and is a decent screen". It's not though, and can't be. How great would it be if Nintendo allowed you to hook it up to files or a media server so that the pad displayed like a photo frame? It's the obvious solution as it needs to spend so much time docked and on charge.

Nope. No can do. Nintendo don't do anything other than games on their consoles. Well, they do "lots of Miis from around the world walking on your screen with annoying bubbles over their heads", so that's okay then :p

Pikmin though is a great game despite it all. I didn't play the other two, but it's really good. It's a little confusing though, it doesn't quite explain what's going on too well. I suspect it was a little rushed to meet the "we need something on the Wii U ASAP" deadline.

However, the core game is great :)

Also played the Wonderful 101 Deom. It's a bit annoying and rubbish. It's When Vikings Attack crossed with Viewtiful Joe, only the bits taken from each aren't as good as the sources, so it's a bit of a let down generally.

It does have a really useful swap pad with TV button though so you can play it without the TV, bonus points there.

So far, it's got a few great "in the same room" multiplayer games (I'd adore some on Nintendoland if I could us the Classic Controller). It's really good multiplayer fun. Pikmin is also a great game and MMF loves Pokemon Rumble. So it's not all bad news at all :)

It needs more love though, but there are a couple of games I'll grab for it. I was hoping for a real evolution though, something to make me love Nintendo like the really neat little things on the 3DS did. I just got a minor upgrade though. Here's hoping for those few good games and finally a really decent Mario Party :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
You can do off screen play on Pikmin... If I recall it's simple as pressing Y at some point...

Good review though and it's very true, unfortunately for Nintendo they've clearly missed out on the year advantage they wanted... For the most part it's hit and miss which games use the 'proper' controller, but I tend not to use it really... Dunno why, just don't :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nemesis Inferno said:
You can do off screen play on Pikmin... If I recall it's simple as pressing Y at some point...

- (why do they have + and - ??? ).

It wasn't being able to use it remotely was the issue, more the fact that if you use the classic controller, you still need the pad; madness!

Nemesis Inferno said:
Good review though and it's very true, unfortunately for Nintendo they've clearly missed out on the year advantage they wanted...

Very true. They should have nailed it already. As is, they're now pulling out their big guns to go up against the two new consoles. They'll certainly sweep up some Nintendo fans, and no matter what they say, a price cut has to happen which will make it more appealing. They're entering a crowded market though and a very highly competitive one and they've pretty much thrown away all there chances at making a difference.

Nemesis Inferno said:
For the most part it's hit and miss which games use the 'proper' controller, but I tend not to use it really... Dunno why, just don't :lol:

I love the classic controller. The Pad is "okay" (much better than I thought it would be), Wii controllers are the pits and using them reminds me why I stopped using the Wii. They should really be pushing it, but they don't want to, because then they'd just be "the same as the PS3 and 360", which is not what they want. Unfortunately, that's what people do actually want. There's no Wii Sports equivalent, no killer app, so they need to compete with Sony and MS rather than going their way.

They won't though and it's so frustrating. You can see some brilliant games coming out that should have Nintendo written all over them, but are missing the Wii U completely.

OMG, how good is Rayman Legends on the Wii U? Oh, actually it's identical to the PS3 versions :roll: but still, the game is incredible :lol:

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
The PS3/Xbox versions are ported versions of the Wii U since it was originally an exclusive :lol:

There is the added multiplayer dimension with Murphy on the GamePad which I think might be slightly more interesting, but according to those who have played it on the other consoles they've implemented the required bits of gameplay well onto them...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think the thing that is shows is how little "power" can mean.

Okay, the Wii U is suffering from "more power, but poor port" syndrome as it's easier to just push across the 360 version of a game and we're not seeing any of the extra graphical finesse it can harness (and Nintendo just don't seem to care about it :roll: ).

However, Rayman Legends is stunning on all the systems. It won't be any more stunning on the XBOne or PS4, because it's simply as gorgeous as it'll ever get. No additional fancy graphic gizmos will enhance it.

To be fair, HD does help (it wouldn't look good on the Wii), but other than the resolution, it's just sublime to look at and play.

Ubisoft ported it because they didn't have any faith in sales on the Wii U version, but I don't quite get why they then delayed releasing an essentially finished Wii U version? It just didn't make any sense to me at all. You're not going to get more Wii U sales by releasing at the same time as all the others. Very odd.

Very tempted by Infinity, but the cost is astronomical. The starter set isn't too badly priced, but £15 per figure??? £35 for a new level (okay, the levels are several hours of gameplay each, but still...)?

Such a brilliant game though and the figures are stunning; it's just the sheer cost of getting into it. Glad MMF picked the cheaper Skylanders over it :lol:

Intricks

Strata Poster
So I just got Hatsune Miku DIVA F and it is very interesting. It is a mix of DDR, Elite Beat Agents and Taiko no Tatsujin. I heart it so much lol.

Its VERY fun but can be a bit of a bitch when it comes to scoring. You have to be very precise.

I wonder what all songs are on it (Triple Baka please be there!)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hahahahahahaaaaa
2ds.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ahem.

Guffaw.

Oh, and...
Iwata 2 weeks ago said:
Wii U Basic model sales show price isn't the issue...
The only solution is to provide the mass-market with many quality software titles

Today:
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/w ... -confirmed

Is Iwata working for Microsoft now, or taking tips from them? Say one thing, then backtrack and change your mind as soon as you realise people are mocking you?

**** anyway, dropping the price after I've just bought one :p

nealbie

CF Legend
MotoGP 2013 is without doubt at least 10x better than Codemasters' F1 games from 2010 onwards.

Granted, it's VERY difficult to control if you play it properly (assists off), but with the ability to separately front and rear brake, tilt the rider forwards or backwards on the bike and lean out for sharper turning it's the sim game motorbikes have never had!

If you're just a casual fan and want to just drive round without falling off, there's also a plethora of cheats (braking, turning, tilting assist etc) so you can still enjoy yourself.

Best racing sim since F1 2003!

djmcbell

Roller Poster
I forgot Rayman Legends was out! Need to get that on the 360 at some point, though again I don't know why they didn't release it on the Wii U when it was ready - probably would have made more money for them (less games out to compete against etc).

I've just tried starting Zelda - Wind Waker again on the GameCube, through my Wii. And dear lord, it reminds me how awful the Wii is designed. I *HATE* that, even if I'm using a GameCube game, I've got to use the WiiMote (which is a pain to charge) to start it up, or navigate around and check my memory cards etc. I'm a programmer - I've programmed games before for mobiles, the GBA, DS and even the 360 (never release any though, the companies I freelanced for either went bust or lost contracts) and it would be amazingly easy to allow for the menu to be navigated by a d-pad or have an "autoboot game" option.

Currently also playing Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. That game is pretty good, and seems like an amazingly hardcore Sega fan, who is also 4 years old, redesigned Mario Kart. It really is difficult to know what's going on, as the afore-mentioned 4-year-old just said "and then they turn into planes", but still satisfyingly fun. Apart from the Burning Ranger track (still got that game on the Saturn, along with Panzer Dragoon Saga). That thing is hell.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nealbie said:
MotoGP 2013 is without doubt at least 10x better than Codemasters' F1 games from 2010 onwards.

I played an early one on the PC, using a mix of mouse and keyboard. It was incredibly satisfying once you take the time to master. I don't have the patience these days unfortunately, but yeah, they're superb games :)

djmcbell said:
Currently also playing Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. That game is pretty good, and seems like an amazingly hardcore Sega fan, who is also 4 years old, redesigned Mario Kart. It really is difficult to know what's going on, as the afore-mentioned 4-year-old just said "and then they turn into planes", but still satisfyingly fun. Apart from the Burning Ranger track (still got that game on the Saturn, along with Panzer Dragoon Saga). That thing is hell.

I picked this up yesterday for the Wii U. I love it. I hate Mario Kart (shush, I'm allowed to :p ), but SASRT hits the right spot.

Some levels are a bit aggravating though. You'll find yourself caught in a corner, or against scenery. Sometimes the challenges are just incredibly hard, then the next race a doddle. It's a little bit frustrating at times, but mostly, it's great fun.

The levels are gorgeous at times and really well designed. Not always, but at times :)

The big thing is that I enjoy playing the game. I've always found Mario Kart an exercise in frustration rather than fun. Leading the whole race and then getting wiped out at the end and coming in 7th. SASRT rewards skilful driving and gives you a decent chance to defend yourself and claim back the lead. There is frustration here and there, but mostly you never feel "cheated".

I guess that having tracks you've never seen before rather than the same ones I've been racing on for 20-odd years also helps ;)

Intricks

Strata Poster
So my ps3 is being abused (finally) for FFXIV. This thing is a work of art to me. While some of the animations for the mobs are a bit....stiff...and the map is about as useful as a vagina to me, it is still a really fun and awesome game all on its own.

While I wish I could play it on the PC (need a new graphics card), the way they set it up for use on a controller is superb. Far easier than FFXI back in the day (gods...wasted two years of my life all due to ONE bad call while playing a Black Mage...jesus), but a few little qualms left about involving auto-select and changing targets (**** does it get annoying). Beyond this, a solid game with a completely improved system that I hope does well overall. Plus the new base classes are interesting (although O have Blizzard II and not Blizzard....odd).

I also had the chance to play Saints Row IV over the weekend. Three words: What. The. ****. And I mean this in the best manner ever. The game just kinda tosses you into the Matrix and just showers you with overpowered stupidity and blatant use of other movies and games. I love it so much. Just good, cheesy, brain numbing fun.

Plus it is quite fun to sprint around while randomly killing people with the 2nd trigger, and the Dubstep gun is the most overpowered weapon in the game once fully advanced. Plus it may occassionaly glitch a corpse and will cause it to dance in a half twosted, sideways manner. Lovely

bmac

Giga Poster
furie said:
Hahahahahahaaaaa
2ds.jpg

Sums up nearly everyone's reactions but I can see where they're coming from with it. Kids are a big part of sales with Nintendo, and the 3DS has stigma about it due to the screens damaging undeveloped eyes (basically anyone younger than 16).

Beyond that yes I laughed my **** ass off when they announced it, too.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Intricks said:
So my ps3 is being abused (finally) for FFXIV. This thing is a work of art to me. While some of the animations for the mobs are a bit....stiff...and the map is about as useful as a vagina to me, it is still a really fun and awesome game all on its own.

I've tried FF games, but I just find them too much of a life eating chore. It's all long cut scene and nonsensical story, more cut scene, walk two yards, battle for 20 mins, cut scene, walk two yards, battle for 25 mins, repeat ad infinitum.

In my experience ;)

The reason I liked Ni No Kuni was that because it was Ghibli, I actually cared :)

Intricks said:
I also had the chance to play Saints Row IV over the weekend. Three words: What. The. ****. And I mean this in the best manner ever. The game just kinda tosses you into the Matrix and just showers you with overpowered stupidity and blatant use of other movies and games. I love it so much. Just good, cheesy, brain numbing fun.

I played SR2 and have SR3 on PS+ but never bothered playing it. It was quite good fun, but like a lot of open world games, I just found myself wandering around, wasting hours not doing anything :lol:

I like to work towards completing a game. SR2 wasn't quite fun enough to justify the time and I've spent so many hours of my life needlessly mowing down people in open world games, I've kind of become tired of it now.

I guess that's why I liked Mafia II. It was open world, but really, you were following a tight plot.

bmac said:
Sums up nearly everyone's reactions but I can see where they're coming from with it. Kids are a big part of sales with Nintendo, and the 3DS has stigma about it due to the screens damaging undeveloped eyes (basically anyone younger than 16).

Beyond that yes I laughed my **** ass off when they announced it, too.

Don't get me wrong, I think it'll sell well. Nintendo have now got the 3DS price point down to a DS price, so coupled with the new Pokemon game, it'll sell massively.

It's still complete **** to look at and it says "we were wrong about 3D". Sony have already admitted it, nice Nintendo have too. The thing will be the biggest selling joke ever.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Sony Japan have announced the PS4 won't be out in their home territory until 22nd February 2014. Very odd.

They also announced the PS Vita SCH-2000 (slimmer, lighter, longer battery life, no 3G models). However this was only announced for Japan, no release date/price given for worldwide.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Pierre said:
Sony Japan have announced the PS4 won't be out in their home territory until 22nd February 2014. Very odd.

They don't need to worry about competition in Japan. Let's face it, the Wii U is hardly going to cause them problems and the XBone probably will not have a release there for years.

New Vita is interesting. Quite surprised they've pumped money into it.