What's new

The Games we play...

Intricks

Strata Poster
Ive actually had my ISP shut off my internet for a few days because my friends and I were pulling in so much data that we were lagging everyone else.

So yes, it can end up happening more frequently than what most think based upon the area you live in, your ISP and just how many people in that area have the same ISP.

Im still in debate on if I want the XB1 or not. Im more used to FPS on that system, and everything else is solely played on either the PC or PS3/Vita. There are some things I dont particularily like about the XBox overall, but Ive still owned an original and currently have a 360 collecting dust. If they were to do DRM the way Sony has it, and allowed us to game offline, I would still be wary on getting it.

marc

CF Legend
A lot of people at work were talking about this today and are really pissed off. They have always had an Xbox and are thinking of getting the ps4.

Ben

CF Legend
I still don't understand; with the Xbox if you go away, you have to leave your Internet on or else you just can't use it?

I... Surely I'm getting this wrong?

davidm

Strata Poster
^^ I've always had Xbox rather than PS - was always much better IMHO.... but not now I think!

^ No, just you can only play "off line" within a day of being "on line". Its still stupid though. VERY stupid.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Here's the thing though, and this may piss of people looking for "only gaming" but the XB1 can really be an all in 1. Essentially, you can have just that and your tv and that's it if I understand it correctly. Being able to get TV subscriptions, added bonuses of watching sports, tie in with fantasy leagues (which for me is going to be a blast as I will no long need my computer open while watching games as I constantly check) DVR, so yeah, your cable box, but I'm assuming it won't be nearly as expensive as you won't need the equipment.

What's the likelihood that game developers start going away from hard copies of games and just offer codes in the not so distant future? I'm a bit disappointed that XB1 hard drive is only 500 GB, especially for that price. You would need bigger hard drives for that to be the case though.

marc

CF Legend
But you are hoping companies sign up to that.

I can never see sky and virgin media offer their full line up on the Xbox so therefore its rather pointless.

It might be different in the USA but in the UK I cannot see it working.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Yea, but tomahawk, all this butt hurt is coming from MS own fanbase. All that added in crap is how Nintendo went with the Wii almost; diverging itself from the gaming core it created and targeted the family market. The Wii worked wonders, but the Wii U success is solely dependent upon Zelda and Mario. Take away those, and you are left with a LOT of crap with a couple amazing titles.

Microsoft is diverging from its main core of game buyers, the hardcore gamers who have devoted months upon years of gaming onto the 360, to be given a gimmick box that can game as well. The XB1 works for you, but it doesnt all work for me. Why the flying hell should I pay 500 bucks for a system Im only going to use to play video games on, when Im not even going to be using its centerpiece the Kinect?!

This is why Microsoft is getting so much flack. They are relying on the maybe

Maybe they will pick up the Fantasy Football base.

Maybe they will pick up the family market that is getting it for the All-In-One use it has.

Maybe they will get a larger Kinect fanbase with far better game usage than **** Kinectimals.

They are relying too far on the what may happen, when they are already losing their core base: Dedicated Gamers. Face it, the XB1 is going to be as sellable as the Wii U, cause the everyday family doesnt care about graphics or what new high-tech game is coming out that is supposed to blow your freaking h3ad off with such an amazing plot and character development. Gamers care about those things, everyday families dont.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I can see the major companies here picking it up in a heartbeat. Either U-Verse, Cox, or Time Warner will be the first to do it probably. 360's you can watch sports on already, one of the cable companies already has a link, so clearly the market is there since it already exists. You can subscribe for MLB extra innings, which is exclusive to DirecTV and Time Warner. A lot of the flack they are getting is for features they HAVE, they just expanded.

You will still have the 12 year olds playing Call of Duty

You will still have the 20 year olds playing Battlefield

You will still have a mash playing Halo, Assassins Creed, and all the other games. It is STILL a gaming console, just with enhanced features of the current model.

Kinect will be enhanced, but not enough for it to be the focal point they are trying to make it, not until it recognizes finger movements.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
You mean I can watch TV programmes on my Xbox that's CONNECTED up to a TV?

WHERE DO I SIGN?!

It's something that will get the US market, but everywhere else? Maybe not...

Pierre

Strata Poster
Yeah i just genuinely don't get why its such a positive to be able to have tv subscriptions through your xbox?

Currently I switch from HDMI 1 for my Sky to HDMI 2 for my gaming console, why is that such a chore to make me want to have it all through one input?

Intricks

Strata Poster
^^^^ Exactly, they are relying on the frat boys and tweens in the families to make up for any loss of sales they will lose from the lack of giving out a console with gimmicks added to it (PS4 is a gaming console first and foremost, with some extras tossed in). Do you really think they will gather a crowd buying into Diablo III, KH3 or FFXV? No, but the games will still make some profit off those few sold. Even the new AC:BF will only gather a small grouping of sales with most being for the PS4 guarenteed.

Adding in the fact that youve listed games that mainly house a heavy online base with leaderboards involved and you

I disagree about it being a gaming console. Its a DVR box with the XBox name added to it to draw in the few extra sales, that also happens to play video games. Gamers wont justify the price based on that alone. Adding in all the gimmicks to the XB1 and making those the headfront of the system as well as the Kinect, a poorly recieved add-on mind you, and you wind up with this poorly recieved box of gimmicks that just so happens to play games as well.

Its bad when there is already speculation that Microsoft is already trying to change its whole No Used Games approach, as well as a very strong rumor of a strict gaming version of the XB1 (or something similar) possibly coming out as well.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Pierre said:
Yeah i just genuinely don't get why its such a positive to be able to have tv subscriptions through your xbox?

Currently I switch from HDMI 1 for my Sky to HDMI 2 for my gaming console, why is that such a chore to make me want to have it all through one input?

This is aimed for an American market where one huge selling point is the ability to turn the console on without having to get off your arse.

spicy

Giga Poster
Grid 2 is awesome, haven't had this much fun playing a racing game for a long time.

It's got the perfect balance between being 'arcadey' yet is still challenging enough but no where near Gran Turismo level.

10/10 for me.

Intricks

Strata Poster
So I got accepted into the beta for FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. I really got to say this about them, they really turned the entire thing around. I barely enjoyed the first version they put out as everything felt clunky, whereas now it runs far better and much smoother. Gameplay feels far more natural and the game mechanics are superb for the PS3 controller.

Will most definitely be getting this once it is out.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
^ and ^^Hey, stop talking about games and get back to bitching about the two new consoles ;) :p

Intricks said:
^^^^ Exactly, they are relying on the frat boys and tweens in the families to make up for any loss of sales they will lose from the lack of giving out a console with gimmicks added to it (PS4 is a gaming console first and foremost, with some extras tossed in). Do you really think they will gather a crowd buying into Diablo III, KH3 or FFXV? No, but the games will still make some profit off those few sold. Even the new AC:BF will only gather a small grouping of sales with most being for the PS4 guarenteed.

Adding in the fact that youve listed games that mainly house a heavy online base with leaderboards involved and you

I disagree about it being a gaming console. Its a DVR box with the XBox name added to it to draw in the few extra sales, that also happens to play video games. Gamers wont justify the price based on that alone. Adding in all the gimmicks to the XB1 and making those the headfront of the system as well as the Kinect, a poorly recieved add-on mind you, and you wind up with this poorly recieved box of gimmicks that just so happens to play games as well.

Its bad when there is already speculation that Microsoft is already trying to change its whole No Used Games approach, as well as a very strong rumor of a strict gaming version of the XB1 (or something similar) possibly coming out as well.

Twoddle, all of it (and I mean that in the nicest possible way ;) :lol: ).

The XBOne IS a gaming console through and through. It's as powerful as the PS4 and no multiplatform game will look worse on the XBOne than it will on the PS4 - how can that not be a gaming console?

MS have just focussed on what makes it different. They succeeded but in an environment that was hostile to it (hardcore gamers). The thing is, those gamers make up a large part of the huge sales numbers of 360 game sales. The XBOne will still sell well and will still sell large numbers of copies of games like the new AC.

The XBOne as it stands now is what we will see for years to come. EA and Activision will already have their own DRM/anti-2nd hand systems in place which will affect the PS4 too. Nothing from the MS front will change apart from they'll kick up a gear showing off more and more games.

There are millions upon millions of American's the XBOne is perfect for, and they will lap it up. There's a staunch XBox following in Europe too (smaller and it will take hits, but it's still there). When the XBOne has the first price cut, you'll see massive sales as people jump from their 360 to the XBOne. Absolutely huge numbers of people, probably within the first year of release.

spicy said:
Grid 2 is awesome, haven't had this much fun playing a racing game for a long time.

It's got the perfect balance between being 'arcadey' yet is still challenging enough but no where near Gran Turismo level.

10/10 for me.

I tried to resist, but couldn't. I've played and loved every Codemaster's saloon car type racing game right from Toca, to Grid. All the Tocas and Toca Race Drivers in between have been played from start to finish and the ones for the last ten years or so played massively online. I love the series.

I love the false realism. It's exciting and challenging and makes you feel like you're actually part of a race. I love Forza too and there's room for both, but Grid is a fast action blockbuster, and Forza a well paced, lovingly crafted piece of film art.

I'm just starting to get taken in by Grid 2 now, but it's been a difficult process. Grid was one of the best games to arrive in the last five years and all that was really wrong was the actual career system which was weak.

They've played with Grid 2 in terms of handling, aggression and "collision outcome" and I think that they've taken some of the fun out of the game with it. It feels much less like real racing than Grid did - though they've made it more difficult at the same time (you can't just knock a car out of the way by tapping their back end). I wish there was a game where you could set things up to make it work just how you want it to.

So there's quite often a lot of "WTF are you doing running into me???" moments and more than a couple of "I rammed him hard and he just slowed me down, but I get a slight knock from the rear myself and end up spinning off" times. It's frustrating, but...

Once the controls click and you get a perfect powerslide round a corner to overtake a handful of cars:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_0c9yrKpxc[/youtube]
it's sublime. It's just so satisfying, but requires very little skill :lol:

Career is flimsy and a bit annoying, much like the original. I really want to see somebody tackle a true motorsport career system. As it is, I've already got a garage of 9 cars, no idea between them really and why/where to use one in preference to another. It's just pick a car, race, maybe win another car, pick another car randomly, race. There are seasons, but you don't win a "season", just finish it.

Still, it's well made, it's solid, it's fun and it's great to play. I guess it's the evolution of Grid, but really I wanted to see a reinvention of the Toca series. It's become an arcade game from end to end with no pretences towards any kind of simulation, and while it's still great, it leaves me sad that all the really good stuff has been well left behind.

kimahri

CF Legend
CBA To quote but EA have said they're doing off with their DRM stuff but, I'm not sure if it's just their online passes on console. I think they're going to avoid situations like SimCity and having an always online model but don't quote me.

Either way since it's EA and they're aweful I'm would take all news about taking away DRM with a pinch of salt. Granted that pinch would be so big it would end up in cardiac arrest...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
EA Bloke in charge of stuffs said:
If we want to be progressive about it, we will make online services available to them that if they want to buy they can, but they don’t have to. At least that way we participate in some monetization.

This is worrying. It's about dropping the online pass and essentially suggests - no online pass, but if you want to play online there will be some kind of upcharge whether you bought the game brand new or not - EVERYONE will have to pay us more [/evil laugh]
http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/13/online- ... president/

Interesting interview here with EA too:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/442131 ... used-games

Again, it says EA had nothing to do with the MS decision and talks about third party opt in.

And talking about online passes, I like how everyone forgets Sony also has them on its products, much worse than the MS DRM stuff but a different name so it's ignored.

Intricks

Strata Poster
By online pass do you mean something similar to a monthoy charge one might have to pay in order to play games such as WoW, FFXI and FFXIV?

If so, then it is something most gamers are used to.

Or do you mean something like how you download a game (Playstation Stars Battle Royale for example), and are given an online pass as part of your order?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The latter, where you get a code in the box (though buying online they give it to you as part of the game because you can never trade that game in).