What's new

The Games we play...

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Days is far longer than most games I buy nowadays, but I wouldn't hold length against a game any more, Portal proved to me that small games can be as good as 20 hour epics.

And I'm much more partial to a linear and crafted experience than one where they've made an enormous and barren game world. There were a lot of details in the map, it's just a shame it was all... grey and... occasionally red.

The gravity bits lasted a lot longer for me too, more like 1/5th of the game. I really liked what they did with the music, mixing the line between sound effect and thematic tune.

Dead Space did nothing original - but it did what a lot of other games did very well, and I really enjoyed it for that. Most of that was down to the dismemberment being way too enjoyable for me, and that was the core mechanic.

In other news, more L4D DLC soon, free for the PC community and $7 for the 360ers.

Not much else going on for me in the realm of gaming - nothing much on the horizon till Christmas, which is quite a shame. If anyone wants to remind me of anything glaring and huge looming that I'm clearly not seeing, please feel free to point it out.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Ploddish said:
Not much else going on for me in the realm of gaming - nothing much on the horizon till Christmas, which is quite a shame. If anyone wants to remind me of anything glaring and huge looming that I'm clearly not seeing, please feel free to point it out.

Which platform?

kimahri

CF Legend
mrclam said:
Ploddish said:

Which platform?

PC, Plod's a bit of an elitist person thingy.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Er, any really. Doesn't matter. I've got access to all of them. Alan Wake looks like my next game, because Remedy are <3

kimahri

CF Legend
So I have been to GAME this morning and purchased Mass Effect. Jer warned me of a slow start and he was right. So far it's alright, I'll just have to press on a bit. I know it's a 3rd person thing, but it's no where near as bad as what Dead space and RE4 was, god those are irritating to play.

In other news. ZOMG PREORDERED FFXIII, JIZZEM!

John91

Mega Poster
I've been getting stuck in to Ghostbusters on ps3. So far it's pretty good albeit tricky in places. My only gripe with it so far is that the online play is rubbish.

Ollie

CF Legend
kimahri said:
but it's no where near as bad as what Dead space and RE4 was, god those are irritating to play.
WHAT! Dead Space and RE4 are one of the best Horror games out there. Add Silent Hill 2 to that and you have my top 3 horror games I've ever played.

^And I agree. The story on Ghostbusters is good but online is crap because it takes ages to get into a game you want.

PLCP

Mega Poster
Map Pack 3 came out. The maps are alright, not too bad, not too good. The new zombies is insane though...

kimahri

CF Legend
Der Reise is awesome!

The new multiplayer maps are alright as well. They're alot better than map pack 2's multiplayer maps.

Well 2 of them are. I havent been on battery yet.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
Picked up Ashes Cricket 2009 from ASDA for only £25 on Thursday.

In short, it's a fantastic game and plays extremely well.

Cricket games are known from their plethora of button combinations and choices when it comes to batting and bowling, but I have to say Codemasters have kept it simple enough! It's easy to get into the swing of things (excuse the pun) after awhile.

The catching system is fantastic, the red - orange - green - red light system (with green being a good catch) is fantastic and really tests your reactions and timing!

Commentary is great, it's so relaxed and sounds exactly like it would do on Sky Sports. Graphics are also pretty good, very rich colours and the player likeness is close enough - although Freddie Flintoff doesn't look all that great!

Only niggle would be the fielders can be a little slow and tend to drop the ball more often than not before throwing it back to the wicket keeper / bowler.

Great game though, I spent all day yesterday playing a full Ashses series against my brother and it really captures the spirit of cricket!

9/10 from me. :)

Homer

Hyper Poster
Whose picking up a PS3 Slim?

I want one, cheap, nice looking, and I already have a PS2. Its win. Now what game should I get at launch? I was thinking GTA4 and Ratchet & Clank Future.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The price point makes a second PS3 a distinct possibility :)

I've not caught up yet and seen the pictures though. Plus, $299 - I'll bet it doesn't sell for £200! :roll:

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
£249.

I won't be buying one, I've only just got my replacement!

I don't like the matte finish on them either, prefer the shinyness of PS3 Phat! :p