What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ploddish said:
Clam[/possibly furie?], you're not fond of games with a focus on storytelling, when the game leaves gameplay behind, yes?

Not me, I just want to be entertained :)

If that means driving around Donnington once more in pretty much the same car but with nicer graphics than last year - fine. If it means avoiding any game where the main gameplay involves jumping onto things, then fine :)

My current game of choice is Heavenly Sword. I wrote it off after playing the demo. The Ps3 is full of games where you hack, you slash and press some buttons in a cutscene to make it feel interactive. It started probably with God of War really on the PS2, or maybe Dynasty Warriors before that, but it's tedious.

Anyway, I had a bunch of N64 games to trade in, and the only place in town which did trade in had bugger all PS3 games. So I got it, because it was essentially free (thinking I'd maybe play a couple of minutes, get bored and trade it in again somewhere else).

The game is actually really good, as a piece of entertainment. The hack and slash mechanic is mixed up with some pretty fun shooting stuff (reminds me of Thief bow bits for some reason), and some really entertaining cut-scenes. At first it irritated me. I was enjoying it when the demo had convinced me I'd hate it, and the cut-scenes just seemed wrongly acted.

Then I got into the swing of it and realised it was meant to be cheesy and camp. Once I stopped taking the whole thing seriously, I really got into it.

It's not the best game ever by any means, but it's a really good, fun way to while away an hour or so in the evenings. Well worth £15 second hand, or free with some N64 trade-ins :)

I am entertained, ergo I am happy :)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Hack & slashers are not my cup of tea either, but it nice to hear that you ended up enjoying a game you didn't like the first time around. Maybe it was a good thing that they didn't have 'bugger all' when it comes to PS3 games. :wink:

Picked up Fallout3 on the way to work today. Can't wait until I get home tonight and give it a go. I'll let you know how it is tomorrow, but from what I've seen on the tube it should be awesome...oh...er...cracking! :)

Smithy

Strata Poster
Lain said:
I know there are probably some people on here that will be able to help me make an informed decision here, so that's why I'm asking.

FIFA 09 or PES 2009?

Everywhere I've looked on the net seems to have 50/50 views on them. What are the key differences, and what is everybody else going for?

I played both demos, and was put off by the Pes one. I haven't been a Fifa man for the last eight years, but last years Pes was woeful and Fifa is awesome.

Basically, if you play online, or if you play with friends a lot, then Fifa is easily better I feel. However, for single player ness, Master League is probably the best. Although Manager mode, League mode and Be a Pro season mode are all awesome on Fifa as well.

Ollie

CF Legend
They should make this into a real game. :p

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=YwHzsoalq9Q&feature=related[/youtube]

kimahri

CF Legend
Not really.

Its a game called The Demon Rush by an indie developer galled Dragoon.

And they guy wants money for it so he posts it on a forum and people notice stuff from the screenshots like the mentioned MMMMMM instead of some ones name and the game crashing with hebrew font type or something.

Its quite humerous.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Don't get me wrong kimi. I thought it was more than humorous, but that doesn't stop you from being one very strange puppy. :wink:
You do know that I read all your posts, right? I mean I could have posted that as a reply to almost any of them. :p
And I'm still waiting for a chance to join up on live and play together...

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Had a crack of Fallout 3 today. Played for about 1 and a half hours and I think the game is totally original and really fun to play.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^I only got about an hour into it and I gotta say is that...FO3 is Da Bomb!
It had me hooked right from the get go with my birth. (Is this the first game to start out with a vadge shove into the world?) Growing up from a baby to a teenager is a very original way to put you through the basic setup & tutorial.
Too bad your father doesn't repeat the name you choose at the start of the game, as I would have loved to pick one that sounds dirty so NPC's would be saying it every time they see me. :lol:
Anyway, I had to quit just as I was about to leave the 101 vault and the real fun begins, so I'll post again as I progress through the game some more.
So far I can only highly recommend the game to anyone who might be even remotely interested.
Now if I can only find some time to play Fable2. I've had it for over a week now and still haven't even opened the box...

Oh, and have you guys seen the new DLC for Mercenaries2?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cDZ32mhr60[/youtube]Obama & Palin? Yeah Boyee!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
You meet Butch at your 10th birthday, then outside the classroom before you take the GOAT test & on the way out of the vault you can try to save his mother from the roaches, but that's the last I saw of him.
The overseerer's daughter is helping me get out somehow & I'm on my way home to see what's next. :)
But I got to get started on Fable2 as well, but I'll leave that one for tomorrow...

PLCP

Mega Poster
Guitar Hero: World Tour

Got it yesterday, have been playing pretty much non-stop since. Here's how I break it down:

Game: 9.5/10

The game is near to perfect. The new instrument and rocker creators blew my expectations away, and I love the set list.

Instruments: 6/10

The instruments are the game's low point. Note: I haven't used the microphone yet, as I'm not the best singer you've ever seen ( :lol: ). The drums are pretty good, very quiet and have lots of bounce to them. However, my red drum is already starting to falter, and I have to hit it exactly in the center or otherwise it won't register. Occasionally when I hit the red on the edge the yellow cymbal goes off. The guitar is fairly decent. I LOVE the new wah-strip. It's so great to tap instead of strum and the slide sections (albeit a bit hard) are tons of fun. It's also great to have a new effect on the longer notes. A few downfalls are as follows; the whammy bar feels like a wet noodle. Honestly, it's way too big. The strum bar is a bit too big and squishy for my liking. Occasionally my whammy and or strum bar squeaks. The wah-tap also goes off when I move the guitar too quickly, I guess it's too sensitive...

In the long run, I'd be willing to bet that the problems that I'm experiencing are solely because they are crappy first-gens with lots of bugs.

8.25/10

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
East Coast(er) General said:
You meet Butch at your 10th birthday, then outside the classroom before you take the GOAT test & on the way out of the vault you can try to save his mother from the roaches, but that's the last I saw of him.
The overseerer's daughter is helping me get out somehow & I'm on my way home to see what's next. :)

Yeah, I've done that bit. The compass is a bitch, I seriously have geographical issues with that thing. Oh yeah, whats up with the Overseer's daughter's forehead?, its well red.

Lain

Giga Poster
Lain said:
furie said:
So anyone else find the Mirrors Edge demo utterly unremarkable?

I'm downloading it as we speak, well... err, type.

I'll let you know. :p

You know, I thought it was pretty cool. It's a nice twist on the traditional FPS game (which I really don't like), and everybody loves jumping between buildings and doing cool crap like that.

Woo!

Ollie

CF Legend
I kinda liked it as well. But only with the red markers turned off so you have to work things out for yourself.
It doesn't feel very flexible.
It was good but I probably won't be getting the full game.

kimahri

CF Legend
You suck ollie.

I Dl'ed the Mirror's Edge demo as well and I really like it. I was more interested in this than Dead space, COD5 and Fallout 3 and stuff.

Still Left 4 Dead is my main priority in video games.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
So did nobody think "oh, it's Prince of Persia in first person" then?