What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
New Ds if anyone is interested... It's, erm, Nintendo making their systems into a poor man's mobile phone or something? Also new details on a 'HD' Wii.

http://www.infendo.com/ds/nintendo-anno ... #more-8003
http://www.infendo.com/wii/sources-nint ... -hardware/

I don't really understand the mentality behind it. I can understand the risk in innovation they made originally with both the DS and Wii, but this? It's an odd one - it's like "right, we've taken the risk, it's paid off, we've captured the world, now let's play catch up with everyone else".

I just don't really get it, but I guess there's only so much you can innovate, then you do have to actually update. The new DS though with a 640x480 piss poor camera, SD slot, MP3 and no GBA slot? It's not exactly making me wet with excitement.

HD Wii was inevitable, but I think it will be more like a PC kind of system, where games are written in Standard def for old Wii's, and with a higher resolution version with it for HD Wii's. Not actually a new Wii as such, just a new graphics card :)

spicy

Giga Poster
Yeah that DS seems pretty pointless, however the Wii HD tempts me but realease is in 2011? The new Xbox will be out by then I think that they would be better off releasing a completely new Wii, not just a Wii with HD.

Anyways it's Fifa 09 launch day and I shall be playing it all night tonight.

peely

Roller Poster
Well, just looked through about 10 pages of this thread, and unless i didnt look far back enough, no one has mentioned WIPEOUT HD!

I purchased this when it came out a week or so ago, and its brilliant. Its still remarkably hard, but they do now have that assist mode for newbies to the game, and all this for £11.99 - Quite possible the best game bargain of the year!

Not to mention that it looks amazing as well!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
spicy said:
Yeah that DS seems pretty pointless, however the Wii HD tempts me but realease is in 2011? The new Xbox will be out by then I think that they would be better off releasing a completely new Wii, not just a Wii with HD.

Sony are also talking about a 2011 PS4... Well, doing a Nintendo and using current PS3 hardware with a few tweaks - so a PS3.5 if you like, using the same Cell processor. Could be an interesting year :lol:

Slayed said:
With the DS they're targetting the iPhone/iTouch market apparently. Don't really see the point myself, we've all got mobiles that can do it all already; I've got a DS because it plays games better.[.quote]

I don't get it in the slightest either. A DS is a games machine, and that's all it really does. I'm not going to replace a either a phone camera, or phone mp3 player with the DS. My phone does it all, and does it better than the DS, and I need my phone on me at all times.

I think it's the worst bit of 'development; Nintendo have done. However, they have such a strong market and following, I think it will still sell. I noticed on a lot of Nintendo fansites, they were full of "I'm pre-ordering mine as soon as I can". It's just a ridiculous mentality - must have it because it's new - no matter if it's better, or worse. The DS Lite is a lovely bit of kit, and a superb improvement over the original DS (which was good anyway). This is just heading into phone territory (as you say), which is already flooded.

Slayed said:
The Wii HD is meant to have an improved input device as well.

Surely it'll just be motionplus integrated into the Wiimotes? Possibly the Wii Talk integrated into the sensor bar? It's all good, don't get me wrong, it's refinement and additions which are nice on that front. The Wii HD I have more time for than a new Xbox or Playstation as the Wii offers something a little different anyway, it's just catching up a bit. With a new Xbox or Playstation, you're back into that whole churn thing with completely new stuff and risks on buying hardware etc, etc, etc.

Though I think Sony want out of the PS3. They can't make back their money on it, so I think that they'll run it as a cheap option, but use the tech to release an updated version as the PS4, and therefore cost per unit on the PS4 will be very low, but cost per unit of the PS3 will remain high. So the Ps4 can be a success, riding on the failure of the PS3 - if that makes sense? Whatever, it's still too soon in the cycle I think, but Sony have a great, diverse product and they need to capitalise on it the way Nintendo have with their new take on things.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
peely said:
Well, just looked through about 10 pages of this thread, and unless i didnt look far back enough, no one has mentioned WIPEOUT HD!

I purchased this when it came out a week or so ago, and its brilliant. Its still remarkably hard, but they do now have that assist mode for newbies to the game, and all this for £11.99 - Quite possible the best game bargain of the year!

Not to mention that it looks amazing as well!

Not bought it as I have the PSP versions. It's the same, only on the big screen with better graphics.

So there's nothing new "game-wise" for me to bother paying even £12 for. However, it's a superb game, so if you don't have the PSP version, I'd recommend it :)

peely

Roller Poster
^ Yeah, i dont have a PSP, so getting it on PS3 was a must for me personally! It is great to see it in 1080p 60fps on a massive TV though. Also, as i havent played the PSP version, the zone mode was new to me, and i really like it!

It sends me back in time to when i used to play the first one on the orignal Playstation along with Ridge Racer! Awesome game.

kimahri

CF Legend
WO HD is only a little bit of the last 2 wipeout games

Pure and pulse. Tbh its better off getting them as they have much more tracks, ships and stuff.

I'd wait for the full ps3 title really.

big john

Mega Poster
Oh my ****ing god iv ****ing done it i got a ****ing sweet ****ing beta key for LITTLE BIG PLANET and **** me is it amazing i recomend you all get this on the 24th but untill then i will be locked away for 10 days playing this awsome piece of work

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
We're finally taking a weekend off from coastering, so I'm buying Brothers in Arms:HH tomorrow. Can't wait to give it a try and play on my 360 for the first time in months.
Maybe I can even talk the kid in joining me in a few Rock Band sessions, since I still haven't given the last 10 or so tracks I downloaded a try.
With so many good titles coming out in the next month, I really have to get back in the groove of gaming again. In 2 weeks we get Fifa09, then Fable2 & Legendary, followed by Fallout3. Then comes the motherload with Gears2 & End War coming out just one week before CoD:WaW.
Man-o-man - what a time to be a gamer!

big john

Mega Poster
jerry just to let ya know hells highway is rubish i didnt think much to it it looked poor and played even worse so just a little warning you might wanna try before buying

mrclam

Giga Poster

Oh boy. Erm.. um.. erm..

REALLY wish i could comment on this one from a GAMER point of view.. But i cant..

Well erm.. put it this way.. erm.. this rumour states 2011 release date.. Which is 5 years after it's initial release.. Which is the average lifespan of a console anyhow.

If microsoft dont announce/release the xbox 3 by then - i'll eat my hat.

That said, looking at the nintendo conference yesterday.. There's a HELL of a lot more games in that announcement which "float my boat" than exist on 360/ps3 (more shooters/racing games and yearly sports releases).

Hell, just on the gamecube remakes, i'm looking forwards to playing Metroid Prime 2 and Pikmin 2 - neither of which i played the first time around. And in the case of MP2, I *hated* the first one thanks to it's analog controls (Im like furie - im crap at fps games), but loved the 3rd one thanks to its control system (so i may pick up both of the originals if they're cheap)

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
I don't get it in the slightest either. A DS is a games machine, and that's all it really does. I'm not going to replace a either a phone camera, or phone mp3 player with the DS. My phone does it all, and does it better than the DS, and I need my phone on me at all times.

Its not meant to be a "proper" camera. It's only 640x480 for instance.

I agree the ds is a games machine.. and that's what the update is about - games.

1. It is smaller and it has a larger/better screen (always a plus)

2. It can download/store and run games from SD Card. Now I dont know for SURE, but I'll bet money on (with the new "play wii vc games from sd card" system), that you'll be able to save VC games from the wii (or ds) to a SD card and choose to play them on either DS or Wii. I'd personally pay good money to be able to play (For eg) mario rpg on the DS.

3. Two cameras - front and back. Now this has numerous opportunities.

The one on the back of the device (facing away from player) I presume being a digital camera - can be used to detect movement. Therefor games could use it as a "rudimentary" tilt device (same as the gizmondo did years back)

The one on the front could be used by kids to talk to their friends over wifi during games (kinda like a pc webcam). Maybe take pictures of themselves for use in game, etc etc.

I dont see the camera being used as a "proper" camera.. More of a fun thing which can be utilised in games if you want to ...

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Ormerod said:
^ That the new 'Brothers in Arms' John?
Yep!
I'll go rent it before buying, but I loved the last one (which wasn't much graphic was either).

Swat

Hyper Poster
Brothers In Arms: HH is awesome, Not a COD4 beater but we knew that. The gore is class when you get a headshot or blow some one to peices. makes it worth it.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
I think BIA have brought their game out at the wrong time, too close to more profitable games such as: Fable 2, Gears of War 2 and Call of Duty 5.