What's new

The Games we play...

Ollie

CF Legend
big john said:
the kit with the new GH is actually relay poor quality
Really? I've heard the complete opposite. :? With peoples pedals snapping on their drums. And the guitar lagging everytime you activate overdrive.

Plus, doesn't the kit for GHWT look awesome. :p
Instruments.jpg

big john

Mega Poster
But ollie i can actually comment as iv played both and trust me the gutare hero drums are very poor the hit detection is poor. The are velocity sensitive and if hit too hard register double hits wich kill your combo and the cymbles have a tendency to snap if used to hard or much the guitar is the same as all the others just looks a little different with a touchplate. As for the pedels on Rockband iv had no trouble and iv hammered it like a good un and as for gutare lag iv experienced none at all. Dont get me wrong the new GH is looking impresive game wise just not periferal wise. I will be getting the game solus as they are relising a patch to let rockband instruments be used but not until i think its 3 months after relise so im willing to wait as ill have rock band 2 from usa to keep me happy lol.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
big john said:
Furie Wrote
And I pwned Don't fear the Reaper! 100% Flawlessness!
You where singing though. singing can be cheeted on and i couldnt hear you lol hehe i was on guitare and it was bloody hard lol but ye good game took a little setting up but good once you get going. Rockband is consuming mine and tanyas life we love it even so i didnt even bother buying starwars just yet as it wouldnt get played on lol but after the reviews iv seen i might not get it at all lol. Oh ye furie tanya says stop singing so she can as she cant play the other instruments and seh wants to play too lol

How do you cheat singing? I'm not saying you'd have wanted to to hear me, but I has hitting the correct pitch :lol:

Next time I'll drum or something - I'm starting to get the hang of it now, but the bass pedal is evil!

Ollie, the RB kit is great quality. You'd have to work hard to break the pedal, and the drums are very well made. The guitar feels cheaper at first, but playing on both last night, swapping between them, the RB guitar is much more responsive, and much more comfortable to play.

I got Warhawk on loan over the weekend too. It looks like a great game, but the lack of single player kills it for me. The game has been around too long, so you've no chance online. I also just don't enjoy playing online. Split screen was good fun, but it needed bots to fill the map out.

I was impressed by the gameplay mechanics though, it's an excellently put together game, and I imagine it's great fun if you really get into it.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Warhawk is fun. I suck immensely at it. But I enjoy going on a quiet level and just gliding around using the six axis, running my wing tips in the sea. And doing barrel rolls between the cliffs and rock faces. When it comes to shooting down other plans then I suck. And I'm even worse on the ground as the aiming is shiite. :p

Smithy

Strata Poster
Furie, did you not try any of the training modes that they'd added? A few people I know who hadn't played the game before found them extremely useful when it came to just starting out. It's actually my favourite game ever to play online. Yes, the lack of a single player mode is annoying, but that level of annoyance varies depending on what you do with your games. I'm guessing you tend to spend most of your time playing games in single player mode. Whereas I prefer games with online functions so I can get more out of them in that sense.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah Smithy, I played the training levels. Mostly a waste of time to be honest (I'm pretty veteran at these things :lol: )

It's learning maps and the like where you tend to be at a massive disadvantage.

Anyway, I dislike playing online, unless I know the people I'm playing against. It's an odd one...

If I'm playing a game, then I play the game. If it's online and I don't know anyone, I don't know what the advantage is? Basically it means that I can't tailor the game to my level of ineptitude :) I'm forced to play in a way which isn't natural to me. I tend to just feel like cannon fodder :lol:

So why play against other people, when I can enjoy the game for what it is against bots?

Playing with people I know is different, it's a social thing. You can scream at them, lord it over them when you pwn them, or take a wet fish in the face off them when they pwn you. Done over a few beers it's a good way to pass an evening. It's faux sociality. So I enjoy it (and still play online against old clan member's every so often).

Obviously, I could play online and make new friends, but I don't want to. I have lots of friends (real and virtual ;) ), and don't feel the need to expand my social circle to include random people off PSN.

So Warhawk fails for me, but I did think it was a blinding bit of game, and I can understand why people love it.

Ollie

CF Legend
Downloaded the 'Elephunk' demo. Can't do the first level so quit.
Downloaded the 'FIFA 09' demo. It's alright.
Downloaded the 'Fracture' demo. Like the idea of changing the terrain, but get boring after a while.

Smithy

Strata Poster
furie said:
It's learning maps and the like where you tend to be at a massive disadvantage.

Ahh that makes sense I guess. Most people will know where the sniping points are, the routes back to bases etc... and the spawn points for weapons.

So Warhawk fails for me, but I did think it was a blinding bit of game, and I can understand why people love it.

See I completely get where you're coming from in terms of wanting to play with people you know. Before I got my ps3, we used to system link Xbox in the same room, and have 3 teams of 4 on 3 tv's in the same room against each other. The banter was awesome, and yes, it's something that you can't really get online.

But then with regards to the bots, I prefer playing against real people. There's much more diversity in the way that they play, and the tactics they employ. In one game, you could join where everyone sticks to the air, and you can use ground weapons to great effect. Other games, you can't move for land mines behind strategically placed around you.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Quite a few times I've found you in Warhawk and followed you round. Had conversations with you and shoot you. Then on MSN after I talk to you about it and your like "you were there?" :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ollie said:
Downloaded the 'Fracture' demo. Like the idea of changing the terrain, but get boring after a while.

Another great idea doomed to failure! It was like 'Red Steel' on the Ps2. Touted as the first game to allow you to make your own way, as the levels were deformable. In reality, at certain points, you could blow up walls, but only the walls it let you blow up. You couldn't blow up a wooden door which was locked for instance.

Fracture is the same. You can deform the landscape - great. Can you deform it to get you into a compound the game doesn't want you to get into? No, you jump over the wall, and bounce of an invisible barrier.

The deformable areas are specifically set to solve specific puzzles. Try to use them in a more open way, and they fail. The deformable areas just replace crates and exploding boxes.

Neat idea, but ultimately nothing new.

Smithy, I agree with you by the way, not ignoring you. I'm just rubbish at games like Warhawk, so get nothing from playing real people I don't know. I like to set the bots to a level I'm happy with - a challenge, but not demoralising :) You can never guarantee that with online play.

Oddly, as crap as I am at FPS type games, I'm awesome at paint balling. I've played against the top gamers in the clan I was in (paint balling), and beaten them all! Yet using a mouse and keyboard (or joypad) and I'm pants! :lol:

kimahri

CF Legend
furie said:
Another great idea doomed to failure! It was like 'Red Steel' on the Ps2. Touted as the first game to allow you to make your own way, as the levels were deformable. In reality, at certain points, you could blow up walls, but only the walls it let you blow up. You couldn't blow up a wooden door which was locked for instance.

*Red Faction

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Oh yeah, I was thinking of the other crap game with red in the title :lol:

Smithy

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
^Quite a few times I've found you in Warhawk and followed you round. Had conversations with you and shoot you. Then on MSN after I talk to you about it and your like "you were there?" :lol:

That's because it's hard to read names on the game, so I tend to just shoot anyone and everyone who isn't my colour.