What's new

The Games we play...

Ollie

CF Legend
^^Loads of real guitars don't have whammy bars. They don't "have" to have one to be counted as a guitar.
I actually think it's quite neat. I love it when it looks realistic and as this one is a real guitar AND a RB Guitar it'll encourage everyone to take up an instrument and learn to play. :)
Also the Drums for RB3 are getting another pedal or something and also two add on cymbals for the back of the drum to make them more realistic.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I like that they're trying to evolve, but I think it's futile.

I'd never buy the keyboard or guitar controller, as I already know I could never play them - I just don't have the speed, reflexes or dexterity to play those kinds of instruments. Likewise I find the normal RB drums tough, so added pedals and cymbals are just too much.

It's great for people who CAN play the real thing (or want to learn to) but...

It's still better for them to go for the real thing. The original games where just that, games. When you start to blur the line between game and real life too much, you go too far. People play games for fun. Rock Band is great because it's simple. You can pick it up and get going in minutes. It may take a long time to master, but you can do it.

A guitarist will tell you, ever since Guitar Hero 1, that it's a very different experience from playing a real guitar. It's a fun "game", but it's not replicating real guitar (drum/keys).

Once you enter into real world territory, you need to have a very good reason for people to do what you're proposing rather than the real thing.

Okay, so you can play along with a bunch of predefined songs. Hell, potentially you could even learn to play those songs (one day). However, you can't learn to play at your own rate. If you need to learn a riff, you start slow and build up speed until the muscle memory is there. You learn a song in parts, mastering each bit until it starts to all come together.

If you're an expert, then it's easy, but why would you play a game when you can just do it? Smugness maybe? "I've got a £900 Ibanez, but I also need a £65 pretend Gibson to play Rock Band, because it'll make "Surfing with the Alien" sound so much better" :roll:

I understand the need to evolve, and a lot of the core gameplay elements they have changed are superb. There's some really nice new design in the actual game - for me, it makes the game a worthwhile investment (though I've not got around to buying Rock Band 2 yet).

The absolute last thing on my mind though is to buy yet another £150 worth of plastic instruments to go along with the game. I bought Rock Band (and Guitar Hero before it) to ply a game, not learn to play an instrument.

My £150 this time will go on a Fender for Minor_Furie who's currently having guitar lessons (he can play Don't Fear the Reaper on a real guitar better than he can on Rock Band :p ). I'll pick up the software and I'm sure I'll love it, but the hardware (in fact "band") market was saturated 18 months ago - every knows it, why don't Harmonix?

Put your money into the software and keep being the best Harmonix, leave the instruments to the people who can actually use them...

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Also, as they're introducing the keyboard, if they do NOT have Final Countdown on the base game music list then the game will be even more fail...

RCF

Strata Poster
Bohemian Rhapsody is the only reason why I'd want to buy the game. Screw the new controllers, it's a game, leave it like that.

Oh and btw, who the hell thought up Rockband: Green Day? They don't deserve their own RockBand, I can think of 5 bands who deserve their own rather than Green Day. That's why I like the Guitar Hero spinoffs better. Metallica, Van Halen, Aerosmith, you know better bands. Beatles Rock Band is an exception.

kimahri

CF Legend
Played Dragon Age Origins.

Like all Bioware titles I've played... it's really boring :|. So I went off and played NMH2 again. <3

RCF

Strata Poster
Finished Real Heroes: Firefighter on the Wii

A better game than I expected. Not a lot of missions, however the missions were very long and somewhat challenging, which is what I liked about it. Very good game

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I'm finally playing Gears of War 2 for the first time. I'm halfway through Act 3. So far, I love it. It's a fun shooter with a good campaign. The campaign seems to be the perfect length and isn't the typical shooter. My only complaint is that aiming is a bit touchy. It's definitely one of those games that I should have bought when it came out.

kimahri

CF Legend
http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/13/rez-cre ... onference/

Brilliant.png

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I'm excited Kim :)

Natal is officially called Kinect... Ooooh, very exciting. There's also a 360 slim due out too. Do you reckon it'll be a slimmer box but and even BIGGER external PSU? ;) The 360 becomes the size of a credit card, but you need to buy a new shed to house the PSU? :lol:

Still waiting to see some of the real Kinetic stuff. I'm really interested in how MS are going to get this whole "no controller" thing working. It's really interesting stuff I just can't get my head around.

Oh yeah, E3 week is exciting :)

Ben

CF Legend
Played a bit of GT5 at Le Mans this week, it's fab, when it eventually comes out, I may have to get a PS3 <3

In other news I finished Bioshock 2 eventually and it was bad. Short, silly story, basically, not a patch on the AMAZING original.

Ollie

CF Legend
What was this about a new Xbox or Xbox Model coming out next week? I heard it on E3 but missed it as I had to go eat.
The new tech demos for the Playstation Move looked fantastic though. I laughed when the games list for Kinetic (what Natal is now called) was released as it's all Wii-type sports games like canoeing and tennis etc. :p

Ben

CF Legend
OH, I played Playstation Move at Le Mans as well...

It's shockingly bad. I don't follow it at ALL so I don't know how many other demos are out for people to have a go with it, but, it's so bad. It's just EXACTLY the same as the Eye Toy from what I played. Except it doesn't work. I spent the whole period trying to get in "the right spot" in front of the tele so it worked. And it never did. Pile of ****e.

Ollie

CF Legend
^How long ago was that?
Apparently it's come along a great deal since the first tech demos. As I was reading on IGN they weren't that excited about it but since they've played again at E3 they said the variation of games is great and playing full titles like SOCOM 4 with it felt natural and realistic/responsive.
And even then they've still got all the way till Autumn to fine tune it.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Hmmm new Xbox actually looks pretty smart... and same price as the Elite was selling. Elite and Arcade costs cut too is good.
Like furie said though, there was no shots of the external PSU which I found ridiculous on other 360 versions so unless thats slim too, they can sod off.
EU not getting it until 16th July.
I would normally say I'm looking forward to Nintendos press conference but the last couple of years announcements of Wii Music and Wii Motion Plus haven't really excited me.
I mainly use the PS3 so I should be looking forward to Sonys too, but I just know its going to be a heavily focused presentation on Playstation Move which will be so cheesey.

Did anyone notice when they were demonstrating the Kinect, their reactions to playing thr game were so OTT pretending to be really excited, its so ****ing patronising.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
I laughed when the games list for Kinetic (what Natal is now called) was released as it's all Wii-type sports games like canoeing and tennis etc. :p

You mean they're releasing casual based games for the casual market which they are aiming the product at?

BASTARDS!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The new 360 slim looks okay, but it's still really designed as a tower, rather than landscape. I like the vague "X" shape about it. The PSU is still separate, but it's been "reduced". Seeing as the old one was the size of a PS3, I'm going to guess the new one will be the size of a PS3 Slim ;)

Kinect...?

It's two Eyetoys??? "Totally new and never seen before"? You mean "Not seen since Sony made the Eye Toy popular six year's ago!".

However, it looks like it actually works - but so did all the Eye Toy demonstrations. Using them in your own home seems to be a very different experience. So I'm still cynical, but I trust Microsoft a lot more making gaming peripherals than I do Sony.

It just smells of typical Microsoft though. Take somethnig somebody else has done and improve on it and repackage it as new. Kinect IS an Eye Toy (they even have Eye Pets), it just looks like it works.

Playstation Move is dreadful. Okay, it's not just Wii sports rip-offs. They have bowling, table tennis, sword fighting and archery! Unlike the Wii which certainly doesn't :roll:

For both companies though... 100 million Wii's out there, 90 million of them gathering dust because people hate standing up to play games. Both Kinect and Move are knee jerk reactions to a system that has been perpetually plagued by gamers ignoring, and non-gamers buying **** (who won't in a million years buy a 360 or PS3 for Kinect or Move).

Both will sell relatively well to both 360 and PS3 owners, but neither will increase the sales of the console to Wii proportions (which is what MS and Sony seem to think will happen).

Move will be utter ****. Like the Eye Toy, unless you have exactly the correct wattage of exactly the correct light in exactly the right direction (we'll call them "Sony demonstration conditions") - it just wont track correctly.

I'm excited by "Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit". I loved the first two games of the series, so very excited - it looks excellent. Love the idea of having separate criminal and cop careers.

I'll double post later on once I've caught up some more :)

EDIT:
Just for Pierre, the new 360 Slim PSU can be seen on the desk here:
360slimunboxt.jpg

kimahri

CF Legend
Reading through the pedia about it and and here's some of my thoughs.

Hideo Kojima can piss off until he announces ZOE 3.
Kinetic can piss off. Natal was a better name therefor I will call it Natal.
I confess my love to Tetsuya Mizuguchi and he can have my babies.
FO:NV trailer looked cool.
Ooooh, Kingdom Hearts RE:Coded. Like.
Bulletstorm looks awesome.
Epic Micky is apparently there. That is good.
The rest of EA can piss off.
As can Nintendo.
Okamiden was there as well. This is also good.
MVC3 still hasn't announced my 5 characters. Uniterested.
Portal 2 blah blah blah lolcancelled.
I'm kinda Interested in Deus EX: Human Revolution.
The Last Guardian <3
The slim 360 looks like crap. It can piss off.
As can their games.
XCOM may be interesting.
Brink Looks interesting as well and it was there.
Activision can piss off.
As can atari.
OMG Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes... ?
Tron <3
Konami can piss off as well. Untill ZOE3 of course.
If Killzone3 is in 3-D I'm going throw the **** up.
Lucasarts can do... something. Uniterested.
MTV games can really piss off. really far away.
Namco Bandai. NO KATAMARI. PISS OFF.
Who the hell are Natsume?
I love Tetsuya Mizuguchi.
NINTENDO...next
SEGA, next.
Square. Hmm nothing I don't already know.
Same with Sony.
SNK can announcea new Metal Slug then I may give them some attention.
And there's meh in this list until Portal 2 and then Batman Arkham Asylum 2.
Mortal Kombat 9 looks interesting as well. I suppose.

Over all I love Tetsuya Mizuguchi.

marc

CF Legend
Is the new Xbox finally including a Bluray player built in? I have tried to find out but cannot.

I am not interested in any of this hands free stuff so for me its not a selling point. I can not play a car game using this Kinetic stuff.

From what I can tell at the moment there is still nothing that makes me want to buy an Xbox.

I want Kingdom Hearts for the PS3, I wish they would stop all this DS crap and bring it out on a platform people want.