What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I keep considering Bayonetta. The demo was okay gameplay wise, but it was stunning to watch. I think it's about £12 now online which is a good price. I have too much to play though and button mashers don't do a great deal for me, no matter how exceptionally flashy they are :)

I got Split/Second: Velocity on Friday. I'd played the demo and thought "it's okay I suppose".

It's okay I suppose.

The basic concept is that you're in a game show or some such other rubbish. Basically, you have to drive fast and blow stuff up. You gain "power" by drafting, drifting, jumping and avoiding death. There are three power bars which can unleash three levels of death to competitors. These are called "Power Plays"

Level one are simple little explosions. Things like lorries or cars exploding at the side of the road and spinning into the way of competitors (or you if you've mistimed it). This is a decent way to maybe hit one opponent, and knock another couple around a little bit.

Level two are much bigger. Building exploding in huge way (or collapsing completely onto the track), helicopters dragging enormous trucks down the road, boats in dry dock falling across the path - that kind of thing. You can usually get a few people with these.

Level three lets you change the route of the race. This is done by altering parts of the track in huge ways. Knock down a smoke stack, drop the entire road into an underground car park, blow the hole in the side of a cargo ship to let you race through it, etc. You'll usually finish off anyone partway through the section going down when you trigger these.

It's all pretty much a mild twist on kart racing, with massive explosions to spice things up. To be fair, the alternate routes tend to be spectacular. You're now forced down a runway with a Jumbo Jet crash landing heading towards you, exploding all around you as you swerve to avoid bits of engine and fuselage. The broken ship sends you leaping up through decks until you explode out the end onto the deck on a aircraft carrier, with Top Gun-esque jets taking off and landing around you. A suspension bridge collapses and drops you off the twisted metal onto the bay side.

I've not seen them all yet, and some have "multiple levels" of destruction. It's good stuff, but saving up for those level threes will mean you getting quite far down the pack. And this is where the game starts to suffer a little.

The balance isn't quite right. You need to take risks and try to destroy the other cars to get ahead. This means you often miss the better side routes. Drifting isn't a quick way around a corner, but you need to do it to get the power to set off a power play. So by trying to get enough power to take out second place ahead of you, you can end up losing out to fourth place and then have to take HIM out.

Worse than that, trying to catch up is tough at times, but at least it's a fair challenge. Not so much when you're out in the lead. Racing well you'll find yourself running away with a 12 second lead - brilliant, reward for playing the game brilliantly.

However, knock a barrier slightly and lose the tiniest amount of momentum and bamm! Suddenly you're being overtaken by three cars who have closed a 12 second gap in half a second. Even worse, crash or get taken out and you'll find yourself back down to 7th place and with a royal fight on your hands to try and gain any placing back.

It's designed to be a challenge, but it just feels like you're being cheated. This permeates right through the whole game where you always feel that no matter how good you are, you're never quite good enough for the game.

It sound much harsher than it is though. Some of the game modes are really fun. Dodging missiles shot from a helicopter - you have three lives to build an "avoidance" multiplier and get a high score. Overtake articulated lorries dropping payloads of explosives all around you. "Detonation" which is a time trial lap, with random set pieces going off to try and take you out and lose you the places. They're great fun to play.

When the game is "there", it's brilliant. You have ridiculous explosions, massive set pieces, excitement and thrills. It's really enjoyable and when you string everything right together to bring you from last place to first through the guts and wreckage - there's a real buzz. It's refreshing like the first two Burnout games were, and the game is reminiscent of Burnout in a few ways, all good.

When it's not "there" though, it's a bit of a struggle. It's niggly and irritating. You feel cheated and frustrated and you want to throw things at the TV. Though race over, you hit replay and off you go again on the promise of a "good" game this time around.

Online play is quick to join and good fun. It's a little unbalanced not matching your online ranking and car choice well - but it doesn't matter, it's the same game only against real people, you feel a little less cheated at least :)

So overall, it's a mixed bag of brilliance and Chinese water torture. The fact you want to come back play some more means it must be good. You'll certainly find yourself lost in an hour of "just one more goes". Is it a keeper though? Nah, you'll reach your limit in a week or two and then find the aggravation of the game design out weighs the joy of seeing the same track set pieces over and over. It was worth it at £35 on release (a good price in the high street for any new release), and if you see it cheaper and like a Burnout type or arcade racer then snap it up. Otherwise, you were probably better of trying to snag a copy of Red Dead Redemption. ;)

8/10

Inverse

Hyper Poster
I been predicting that for years. Not a surprise... I was quite a fan of these band games but now I think it's getting a bit boring. Wonder how long it'll keep going.

kimahri

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Rock Band 3 is going to have a Keyboard controller.
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1092597p1.html

441srsly-u-guys.jpg

RCF

Strata Poster
^^recently Rock Band games have really declined in terms of sales and things of that sort. Maybe it won't be much longer.

Snoo

The Legend
^Thank god.

Ace Combat 6... yummy game. Came out in 2007 but I hadn't been able to play it until I got my 360 recently. Awesome game. Played every one in the series so far.. <3

kimahri

CF Legend
Metro 2033

I kinda like it so far, then again I kinda like the post apocalyptic stuff. Couple of things though, It's a little buggy... I've had one random crash, the sound cut out and the enemies do silly things. Nothing Game breaking yet though so s'all good.

kimahri

CF Legend
Wii time...

New Super Mario Bros Wii

Played it with my Nephew, boring. Next.

No More Heroes 2

Awesome so far.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
kimahri said:
Wii time....
Is that because the PS Network is down again? Don't worry, it'll only be down for 12 hours this time. :lol:

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Downloaded the new map pack for MW2. I love all three maps. They all offer a wide variety of playing styles and are well balanced.

I also started playing ODST finally. To be honest, I'm disappointed. The game is fairly boring so far. Walking through the dark city is a drag and obnoxious since it's dark. The missions aren't the most exciting either. I also don't like how the weapons seem to be underpowered. That might just be because I've been playing MW2 for so long, but to kill a group of grunts and one brute, it's taking me 2/3 of my ammo in my SMG, and I am getting headshots. I'll take the original Halo 3 over this any day.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
East Coast(er) General said:
kimahri said:
Wii time....
Is that because the PS Network is down again? Don't worry, it'll only be down for 12 hours this time. :lol:

WTF has this been all about???

Seriously Sony, if you're taking the network down for 12 hours - give us a bit of cheese or something? Nothing today.

PSN wasn't down though, just the store and making new accounts and changing accounts. I played online last night fine.

I think it was for a couple of things.

1. The release of the 3D games for today (three so far and one demo).
2. To prepare the network for the announcement of "Premium PSN" next week at E3. And here's a hint Sony... Cross. Game. Chat!

Oh, and to deal with the system for giving me my free ten PSP games Woop!

I downloaded (yes, the PSN was down, but I could still spend money and play new games due to having lots of warning and Sony making things available early :p ) Joe Danger

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

It's a mix of Trials, Excitebike and Kick Start 2 (from C64/Spectrum days), with a little bit of platform game chucked in for good measure.

It's superbly presented and plays fantastically. It just works so well. Brilliant fun to play and the level editing stuff is good (it's not LBP, but it's still good).

It's a lot for a tenner (a lot for a PSN game), but it's well worth every penny.

Get it now (that the PSN is back) ;)

kimahri

CF Legend
East Coast(er) General said:

No. it was because No More Heroes 2 came out and a planitary alignment. I don't go online with my ps3 anyway you silly billy.

RCF

Strata Poster
^Agreed. So far the only acceptable songs on that list are Bohemian Rhapsody, and Crazy Train (which has already been on Guitar Hero, weird huh?).

Ollie

CF Legend
For those saying why not just get a real guitar, the RB3 guitar essentially is.
Rock Band 3 will also be offering a new electric guitar/guitar controller hybrid – the Rock Band 3 Squier Stratocaster. Combining real electric guitar components and advanced touch-enabled sensors, the Squier Stratocaster serves as both a fully functional guitar and Rock Band 3 controller, which can even be plugged into and played on a real guitar amp.
rock-band-3-20100610060008756-000.jpg

rock-band-3-20100610013325628-000.jpg

Rock Band 3 is going to pack 83 songs on its disc, but it's also going to allow you to import songs from Rock Band, Rock Band 2, track packs, and Green Day: Rock Band. Plus, all of the downloaded songs you already have are going to work here

For those who want to read into it a bit more there's a 3 page article here.
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1096281p1.html

Looks good and it's nice they're trying to add more to the game to keep it fresh. Still will be quite costly though so will get it once the price has dropped a bit.