What's new

The Games we play...

A

Anonymous

escape_020000.jpg

CAKE!!

Lain

Giga Poster
I was up all night playing it yesterday.

At 0130 I thought I'd nearly done so I thought I'd just finish it then sleep.

I didn't finish it 'til nigh on 5am. ¬_¬

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry to ruin the Portal love-in going on here (what is this? 2007 again?) but Harmonix have a survey out for what YOU might want as the next dedicated band game from them.

There's a choice of Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, U2 (ugh) and The Eagles.

Two of those have been top of my list of "wish Harmonix would make them" list since Beatles Rock Band was announced. You can also offer your own suggestion too.

Anyone who doesn't vote for either Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin is off my Christmas card list!

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190325

Lain

Giga Poster
I'd quite like them to make an Iron Maiden or Rush game, and as Maiden are the most popular they've been in 30 years, I don't see why that hasn't happened yet.

From the choices given though, I'd be happy with Queen or Floyd.

Led Zep are the second most overrated band of all time. :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The first being either Queen or Iron Maiden? :p

The Maiden one hasn't happened because they're dross and only appeal to 12 year olds pretending to be hard ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Only if it was a Guitar Hero version which means very little Queen and lots of bands who may or may not have liked them :p

I think there are already ten Queen songs available as DLC. There really can't be that many left now before you've easily exhausted the "good" ones.

Dave

CF Legend
It's hard to say Queen when some of their songs don't use guitars for the majority of the song.

A Pink Floyd one would be good as they have a large discography which would explore different styles.

They should do a Devin Townsend one, it give you arthritis ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The problem with a Floyd one is that there aren't many tracks that are actually "singles". Most are part of continuous albums.

Imagine Shine on, Atom heart Mother or Echoes? Plus you have the five minute "noise" intros too :p

However, I'm sure they could manage it, and it WOULD be awesome :)

Dave

CF Legend
Well just off the top of my head I can think of a few songs that would be good ones.

You should be able to unlock Echoes as a song to play, be epic.

- One of These Days (Meddle)
- Comfortably Numb (The Wall)
- In the Flesh (The Wall)
- Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 (The Wall)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You'd need about 5 per album I reckon (going on Beatles Rock Band).

Piper - lots there.
Saucerful - Not so many
Immagumma - Several small species of furry animal gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pict? Thought not :p
Atom heart Mother - Two?
Meddle - maybe one or two
DSOTM - Three or four realistically.
Wish you were here - Three?
Animals - We could spit at the screen ;)
The Wall - lots, let's face it, but most of them are just Roger Waters having a moan.
The Final Cut - We hate Maggie Thatcher. Embarrassing album these days. None with luck (actually there are a couple of okay ones).
Momentary Lapse - A few Cliff Richard-esque ones here.
Division Bell - See above ;)

Yeah, as far as "sing along" goes, you're really limited to early and late, with the Wall thrown in for good measure. You'd only capture a small amount of the best years in reality.

Still, it would be good to see what they make of it :)

(Albums done in order off the top of my head - if I missed any, it's because I don't know them)...

CMonster

Giga Poster
They should make one with, instead of just one band, different hit 70's and 80's rock songs.

Might get a bigger audience, as most bands have about 5 songs that everybody knows, and then the rest only fans know about.

RCF

Strata Poster
^Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80's, and most Rock Band games have hits from the 70's and 80's...... :wink:

No I see what you mean. As in strictly 70's and 80's.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Looks like I forgot to review Monsters (probably) stole my Princess

It's a PSP/Ps3 "Mini" which means it's cheap, quick to play, tiny and looks great on the PSP and a bit poor on the PS3.

Most of the minis I've played so far haven't been up to much, but Monsters (probably) stole my Princess oozes with game play, character and fun.

It's a simple premise. You are The Duke a cloak wearing dude that lives in a castle. You wake up one morning to find your Princess has been stolen. It was (probably) the monsters that live in your lands.

The actual game is just leaping up the screen from platform to platform chasing the escaping monster. When you get close, do a "double jump" into him, and you'll hurt him. Hit him three times and you'll do a finishing move.

It's very simple to play, but difficult to master. You get a multiplier for hitting platforms, but lose it if you hit the same platform twice. While it's easy to run through the game (I think there are five or six levels) quickly, trying to do it with high multipliers to win medals is very tough.

The graphics are endearing, the sound a brilliant mix of maniacal laughter and remixes of classical music (including a haunting techno version of Hall of the Mountain King). It's fast to play, exciting, challenging (when you try to beat the high scores) and just generally fantastically appealing.

It's quite a lot for a Mini game (I think it was a fiver), but the production values are exceptionally high for this type of game. It just manages to squeeze into the 100Mb limit required to be labelled a PSP/PS3 Mini - which also explains the lack of levels.

At face value, it's not very rewarding. You should be able to complete the single player game in 20 minutes at the most. Not good for five of our Earth pounds. However, it's the challenge mode that gives the game longevity. Playing to try and beat the high scores getting higher and higher multipliers - using advanced techniques like wall jumps and level drops to hit every platform (while still defeating the monster).

You can easily find yourself lost for an hour on a single level trying to beat the high score set to win an amusing "diary page" unlock - or just beat your own score.

Endearing, fun, challenging and well worth it! Better on the PSP than PS3, but worth a punt anyway :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYlHUH4Orlk[/youtube]

8/10

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Going back to the next Rock Band game, shouldn't it be the Rolling Stones? They're the closest thing to the Beatles with a catalog of singles that could fill 2 Rock Band games.
Just sayin'...

kimahri

CF Legend
The brave adventures of brave kim bavingly braves the scorching hot street to the valiant GAME to purchase some games.

It was a scorchingly hot day, and I, Kimahri set out at the time of dinner to brave the buring hot street to the valiant game, ones inside he embraced the Air condition unit befor crying is that was really hot as well... In the end I got Metro 2033 and Bayonetta. Now I can have Russions and scantily clad ladies with oddly long necks. :|

Ah well. Nearly time for NMH2 to be released. Kivent whayt.