What's new

The Games we play...

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^^^ Yeah, i added you a while back. I'm Shaetano, i might set up a computer with skype in that room, PS communication is balls.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Inverse said:
^^^ Yeah, i added you a while back. I'm Shaetano, i might set up a computer with skype in that room, PS communication is balls.

Ahhhh, right - was wondering who you were:lol:

Yeah, the PS comms is pants. It's okay when you're in a game, but you need to be aqble to talk outside it too.

It's still "coming soon" - but likely to be part of an additonal PSN charged for service :roll:

There's a reason PSN is free and X-Box Live is charged for, that reason is one is good, the other is mearly functional.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Heavy Rain demo (thanks Ollie)

OH EM GEE!

Wow, just seriously, wow! I've been kind of seeing the hype for months and months, but couldn't see why on earth there was any. Looked like a bland kind of RPG only without the fighting and maybe a few different path choices.

I wasn't going to bother with the demo, but was at a loose end.

Was NOT expecting the game though. It's not something entirely new, but it's something really very, very special. I can't really explain it, it's just such a simple idea, but so fantastically executed. Simple interaction controls like on an old "interactive movie", but beautifully done, with a superb animation and graphical addition.

Bit disappointed by some of the voice acting, real shame when the game is so dependant on it.

The excitement though of the fight scene, the smile brought to you face as you fluff walking up a muddy bank and see you FBI agent get covered in mud, the sheer blinding brilliance of the inspection system.

I hope the game does well, because it's brave and bold to do something quite so different in these days of endless sequels and shooters/racers.

I'm not saying everyone is going to like it, it's a slow, labourious game - but it IS very special.

Lain

Giga Poster
Ooh.

I'll have to have a play this eve.

Also - I have Grid as well, so I'd be well up for a sesh on Thursday.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That'd be brilliant if we can get a few more on the track - as long as you're aware that while we try not to deliberately crash, we're messy drivers :)

marc

CF Legend
I no longer have my copy of Grid :(

Get the F1 game lol.

Sorry I did not make it online last night, my net was so slow.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
furie said:
That'd be brilliant if we can get a few more on the track - as long as you're aware that while we try not to deliberately crash, we're messy drivers :)

Fine by me, bit of touring car action! I gave up on Grid online cos it seemed to be full of people wanting destruction derby. I'd love to race with people who want to see the finish line. I'll get Skype sorted too.

Ollie

CF Legend
Even though I downloaded the Heavy Rain demo this morning I've only just got round to playing it because I was out.
I wasn't too sure with the trailers and walking down the first alley. But really got into it. That fight scene in the apartment was great and the sixaxis was well integrated such as kicking down the door and pushing him into the glass. Also for little things such as shaking your asthma pump.
But yeah, I really liked it and it's different. Like Furie I'd really like to see it do well but for that to happen they really have to start getting really good adverts out now for it and let people know about it as most people I've mentioned it to are like "What's that?"and it's only days away from being released.

Also anyone up for AvP at 10:00pm tonight?

Inverse

Hyper Poster
I just played through the Heavy Rain demo too. Damn good. Story like an old point and click bit with a new control scheme that'll bring you into the action more than a P&C ever could. And... as i loved the old SCUMM point and clicks, i think i'm gonna love this.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Which bit is in the demo? I've been following Heavy Rain pretty much from the beginning, and it's still the only reason I want a PS3.

Fahrenheit, their previous game, really sticks in my memory as something that I really enjoyed, even when the story went completely off the wall at the end. Since, I've been a pretty big fan of how they do things, and have been unashamedly sold on Heavy Rain since that "casting demo" way back when.

Should probably preorder it or something.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ollie said:
Also anyone up for AvP at 10:00pm tonight?

Sorry, had the TV all last night, and most of today - so I have to let Madame_Furie have her turn tonight :lol:

Ploddish, the demo has a training session - You get out of a car, walk down an alley and take an asthma inhaler :lol:

I played that and though "well, it's interesting the way you interact to make it happen, but it's exceptionally mundane"

It looked lovely though, so I played the next section.

You are a private detective asking the mother of a murder victim questions. She's a prostitute which makes it interesting. Lots of talking here - not convinced by some of the facial expressions - but I liked the way it focused on her talking, while split screen so you can walk around and have a nose about.

There's a short action sequence next which is actually gobsmacking.

FInally there's a scene where you play an FBI agent at a railway siding where a body has been found. You have to go around hunting for clues, climb up muddy banks and the like. I could explain it, but it would sound dull :lol:

As Inverse says, it's like a SCUMM game, think Grim Fandango only brought bang up to date - with graphics not far off the first Final Fantasy film - and action scenes which require "natural" putton presses and controller movements.

I thought being slow I'd hate it, but it was just so intriguing. Apparently there are not just multiple endings, but there are different ways to interact which don't change the endings, but change scenes anyway.

Yell at the prostitute and at some point further on she'll just yell at you. Treat her nice and she'll be pleasant. There are tons of these little changes which means you can play through it again and again and again and produce a slightly different story each time.

I wasn't excited about it before, but I am convinced now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z91z9fGR-t0[/youtube]
The whole demo here - BEWARE SPOILERS

BTW Marc - You fail! :( :p :lol:

Homer

Hyper Poster
^I'll have to agree with your review. While its a breath of fresh air, some of the facial expressions in a demo for a game that's "serious" are a little cartoon-y. But overall, well done.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Lol, that could easily be a Wii game with all the actions you do :lol:

The plot sounds like something from CSI as well, plus the detective looks like Jim Brass from it, so yeah, watching those vids all I could see was that...

Looks a decent game though... Shame I don't want a PS3 :p

Lain

Giga Poster
The demo was good fun, and if I can find the game for under £30, I may well get it. The voice acting is naff though!

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Well, the most interesting thing I find about Heavy Rain is that there are no fail states - if your character dies, the story keeps going, it just changes to reflect that change. You have to roll with the punches - the good and the bad.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I guess this is the topic to stick this. Couldn't decide between Bad News and Happy Things, so here it goes:

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/F ... mon_Sunday
Bulbanews said:
In an expected move, Game Freak has announced a new generation of Pokémon today during Pokémon Sunday. The first Generation V Pokémon has been revealed. Many details are unknown at this point, but it is known that the new Pokémon will be starring in the next Pokémon movie, Ruler of Illusions Z, with it said that the Pokémon "grasps the key" to the movie.

Generation V has been anticipated since the release of Pokémon Platinum Version. Its release is expected to be in 2010 for the Nintendo DS, following the earlier announcement on the Japanese Pokémon website.

The new Pokémon was only shown in silhouette. The Pokémon's full revelation will come in two weeks, on the Feb. 21 episode of Pokémon Sunday. Some sites have reported that this mysterious Pokémon is Z itself, but as of now this is purely speculation, apparently based on an announcement earlier in the program that Z would be revealed in that same program on Feb. 21.

PSGEN5.png

*sigh*...