What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Had a bit of a spending spree over the weekend.

Got a second hand copy of Full Auto Battlelines 2 (or some version of those words in some order) for the PS3 first. It's just an arcade racer, with guns!

The actual racing and shooting part is great fun. It's a solid arcade racer, but with bangs (explosions, it doesn't have a cropped fringe). So that's all great, if a game which was a little early on the PS3 (read looks "alright I guess, but it's really just a shiny PS2 game").

The "battle" modes are tosh though. Driving around in circles trying to blow each other up in a FPS kind of way, only with cars? It's tedious and just isn't needed when the racing/driving sections are so good. Well worth £12 though :)

Then Gamestation had Need For Speed: Shift cheap and I had some trade ins. So I played the demo again, as I didn't like the demo originally.

See, I play a lot of Grid and I love it. However, I've completed it, so I only get fun out of it now on my Thursday night Grid sessions. I want more Grid, but it doesn't exist.

So I bit the bullet and went for the "I wish this was Grid" NFS:Shift anyway :)

It's an odd one. Grid is all "bam" action. It's twitchy, it's fast and it's great fun. However, the tier structure of the main game leaves a lot to be desired. It's a little too tightly controlled and just not as good as it could be. So the gameplay is superb, but the actual game structure not so good.

NFS:Shift isn't so hot on the gameplay front. You quite often feel that the car isn't actually attached to the road. The damage and crash physics are very bland and pale compared to Grid. There's no massive challenge to the driving either, the difficulty levels range from "pretty much drive itself" to "you'll never make it around a corner ever". There's no happy mid ground where you feel it's fun and twitchy and exciting, but not impossible.

It's not bad though to be fair. It lacks a little, but it's okay. The biggest issue is purely that "it's not as good as Grid" :lol: The game structure though is excellent. There's much more variety to the tasks you have to complete. It's varied and expansive. You don't feel as though you're stuck in rut and the races are a chore rather than fun (which is a complaint I put at both Grid and Dirt 2's door - not enough variety and having to complete three races back to back in a car type you hate to move up a tier is aggravating).

So, it's not as much fun as Grid, but at the same time it's much more appealing to play :)

I'm sure as the cars get faster, the slightly iffy physics will start to irritate me more. However, at the moment it's looking pretty good :)

Homer

Hyper Poster
kimahri said:
^ Is it rated M?

I only buy M rated games cause it has cool blood and guts and adult language therefore it mades me mature as well therefor I am cool and oly cool people play M rated games.
I have a pic of you on my hard drive.
1241900958186.jpg

Also, got a PS3 for Christmas.

PSN ID: CarlTheAwesome (say who you are before you add me, please)
Games: Burnout Paradise, LittleBigPlanet.

Also, Project Needlemouse = Sega finally listening.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just had a 1v1 match against Furie on AVP online. I won 7-1. :D
It's a fun game but at the moment it's taking ages to find other players to play against. Only played as the predator as well which was fun. All the species are so different from each other so it makes the game really interesting. I was going slightly invisivble and charging round the map slicing up Furie whenever I saw him and throwing spinning blades at him. While Furie was hiding in the shadows and crawling along the ceilings to try and take me down.

Oh and sorry I didn't have my mic on Phil. It was on charge and the lead won't reach from my PS3 to where I was sitting. :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
An Alien Vs a Predator is piss poor :lol:

The alien just doesn't stand a chance on its own. In the original PC AvP, the predator had three vision modes. One was normal, one showed marines glowing, the other showed aliens glowing. What it meant was that in a deathmatch with a mix of all three races, the predator was limited a bit. Could you see the alien glowing though Ollie?

I also miss the headbite option :)

I might grab a game over the weekend (maybe tonight) and get Minor_furie in too - will give you a shout Ollie.

Had a brilliant session on Grid afterwards though. Stonking multi-player fun with my old mates - Thursday night is becoming Grid night :)

Played Az at Motorstorm Pacific ridge too (multi-player night indeed) which was okay, nice to play against somebody, but I'm not massively keen on the multi-player, but I've been playing "serious" racing games, so it was a bit of a struggle to get into the whole arcade thing (my excuse for losing :p (.

Ollie

CF Legend
I had three vision options. One was like a heat vision sight which made it hard to navigate but if you ran in front of me I could see you. The second just made everything turn black and white and I don't know what that's meant to be used for and the third was just normal vision.
Although each time I did a close combat kill on you I got badly injured as well as all your acid blood went over me.
I don't think we got the full experience of that game though as we only played as one species each whereas in multiplayer games you have Aliens, Predators and Marines all against each other with quite a few players.
Wouldn't mind playing again though but playing with friends seems to be the only way to get in the match as waiting for other players on a 'quick match' took ages last night. I was waiting 15 minutes and I never got more than one person in my team but we couldn't start a game as you need at least 8 people.

That time in the match where you were camouflaged in the wall and suddenly appeared was cool though. I was standing still looking down the tunnel and you just seems to appear out the wall and jump on me. Thankfully my reactions were quick so I stabbed you in the chest and squashed you into the ground while repeatedly thumping you. :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think the black and white vision is for hunting marines - so it looks like they've retained that, which is good news.

Proper multiplayer is better, it's more balanced. The alien is very different to handle too compared to an normal FPS. It's a bit like going into a gun battle on an fps with just a knife and a sword LOL!

Of course, you do have speed and the ability to blend in :) In multi-player that's better, as you can always find one person to take by surprise.

So yeah, will give it another try - I know Big John wanted to play, but I was well into Grid by then.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, would be good - but I have my weekend holidays from CF starting tonight, so if it's not organised before late afternoon... ;)

Ollie

CF Legend
How about 7pm tonight then? I don't mind who hosts the game. Anyone else reading this is welcome to download the AvP demo from the PSstore and join in. :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
See, now you hit difficult-times-of_furie :)

I have to get MMF into bed... The chore starts at around 7:00 p.m. and can go on until 9:00 p.m. :)

My general rule is that I won't be on and about before 9:00, but I can usually manage between 8:00 and 9:00.

That's as long as Madame_Furie doesn't claim the TV :lol:

Ollie, you have a lot to learn about restrictions due to living with people ;) :p

marc

CF Legend
Is the game any good?

If so I will download the demo and join you guys if thats ok?

Mind you it could clash with Lost lol.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
Mind you it could clash with Lost lol.

Good point!!!

I have the catchup special to watch first, then Lost from 9-11.

I can play AFTER that :)
(Bollocks to the family, Lost is IMPORTANT!!!) :lol:

We don't know if it's good or not yet Marc, we've only had a short, two player game. It seems okay though.

BTW Marc, do you have Grid?