What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
My bad... It's actually 128 vs 128. 256 players in total... Tsk! Sorry.

Rush, AC II really isn't anywhere near 10/10. It may be long, but that's because it's "another run to here, climb up this, kill this person" mission after mission after mission after mission after mission. All along streets that look the same, filled with people who all look the same.

I did a base review of it before, but even being generous, I'd say it's a 8/10 at the most. It lacks (a little) in almost every area TBH.

kimahri

CF Legend
256 people is still silly and awesome. Although at those numbers won't it not be a bit demanding on connections or something?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sure it will be demanding, but I think the game's remit was to be a "Massive Action Game" - which it is :)

It was designed from the ground up (server wise too) to handle that number of players.

It's a gimmick of course, but then the game actually plays well too... Damn them!

I love the idea of parachute drops in instead of spawn points too :D

Ollie

CF Legend
Downloaded the Burnout Paradise + Big Surf Island Bundle with my PSN card I got for xmas and then purchased the full version of Battlefield 1943 as it was in the sale.
Also downloaded the MAG Beta but it was taking an age to update so will leave it downloading overnight or something.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Rush said:
furie said:
Rush, AC II really isn't anywhere near 10/10.

I don't think I recall posting in this topic. :lol:

LOL! Spicy even... I wasn't having a great day yesterday :lol:

Ollie, I'll have to have a game of Battlefield with you, both Minor_Furie and myself are playing it a bit at the moment.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Yeah sure. I'm still getting used to it though. Took me ages to know how to control the planes as I missed the tutorial. :lol:

The MAG Beta is awesome. Although it's only limited to 60 players or so a match it's still quite weird starting up and seeing dots everywhere and it works really well without getting to hectic.

Also Sony made a really big cock up when they accidentally released the film Armored on the PSN store to download for FREE when the films only just been released in cinemas.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177483

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I spent about an hour and a half on MAG last night. I think that's the longest I've spent playing a FPS since I completed Half Life 2 many years ago!

I don't know if it's just a new love affair, and the full game won't be as good? I've had that before (Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2).

When you have just two or three maps (on a Beta or demo), you get to learn them quickly and enjoy them.

Once you have hundreds to choose from, it becomes much harder work to learn your own "sweet spots". So then you have to rely on skill - which I don't have with FPS :lol:

Minor_Furie will definitely be getting it though.

Ollie

CF Legend
Some more good deals on the Playstation Store this week. Including Topatoi which has been reduced from £7.99 to £3.19 and Daxter which has been reduced from £14.99 to £7.99.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Played Mag. It was ****ing awful. Just the entire gameplay was dreadful. Wasn't slick, felt clunky to play, the aiming was awful, the menu were rubbish to try and navigate, it was just utterly awful. I had high hopes for it but it seems as if the novelty is on the number of players rather than tthe quality of the game. MW2 is gash but I'd take that any day over MAG. Still no Warhawk though.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Both are tonnes better than Warhawk. That's boring now and was only really fun for the first month or so.
I agree about MAGs menu system though. That could be improved although it is still the Beta and not the full game.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I loved MAG, it felt like a PC shooter - like Unreal Tournament does too. It just "works".

It made Battlefield 1943 feel like you're playing with a controller covered in butter and jam.

I didn't have a problem with the menus either. It just worked for me.

I tried Warhawk for an entire weekend and it did nothing for me :(

Didn't know you had a PSP too Ollie? Have you got an Minis yet? Red Bull X-Fighters is good fun.

And Lain is wrong. Showing nipples does not make a game good :p

Actually, it's okay, but it's just button mashing and Bayonetta does it much better :)

Ollie

CF Legend
I have a PSP? Where did you get that from? :lol:
I wish.
And I found Dante's Inferno much better than Bayonetta.