What's new

The Games we play...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I played the demo of both, and neither really impressed me. Same old same old as the Star Wars games. They're good fun and all, but nothing that really made me want to buy them. I do hate platform games though...

marc said:
Btw how are you guys getting updates to post on Facebook?

It's in the Account management section on the PS3. You turn Facebook updates on, and give it your Facebook details. You have to tell it what you want it to automatically update with too. I like it :)

Oh, another game we got...

New Super Mario Bros Wii
Bloody cheek putting the word "New" in there. Same as all the others, only with a bit of arm waving and multiple players on screen at the same time.

Other than that, same game, same levels, same enemies, same game play, same thing everyone was doing 20 years ago - yawn.

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Hmmmm....

I need a good game on the PS3 to keep me going for the long run... I LOVED Uncharted... but I need something a little more long term.

Any suggestions?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I have the gaming attention span of a sea slug (and the personality disorders, but let's not go there) - so I can't recommend anything at all :lol:

Batman (Arkham Asylum) was good, but you're looking at just a few hours to complete it, then twenty hours or whatever to slog through it and try and get all the extra bits. I guess it depends if you're into completism or not.

I love racers, and both Dirt (the original) and Grid kept me occupied for a long time getting them completed.

Burnout Paradise is also cheap at the moment off PSN.

Online, people seem to love Warhawk (again, cheap at the moment off PSN).

Also cheap is Trine, which the kids love, but it's a platformer (see above somewhere for my opinion of platformers).

Minor_Furie is currently well into Battlefield 1943. I was well into 1942 on the PC ten years ago or something. So it's all a bit old to me, but I still play a couple of hours a month on it (1943). Online games though really depend on who you play online with. IF you don't mind a bunch of strangers... I don't like these computer geek types :p

Biggest issue with the PS£ is lack of voice comms though. A lot of games have it built in now - so it's not always an issue, but older games it's a pain. Sort it out Sony, and I don't mean by making us pay for it!!!

Erm, Pixel Junk Monsters Dave! That'll keep you going for quite a while and it's cheap too :)

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
See I've completed Paradise on the 360 (without bikes). And that did mean getting all the billboards and all that too.

I was looking at Dirt the other days, seeing as its cheap cause the sequel came out... And I used to love the older Colin McC games. I am currently going through Ridge Racer 7. But its just a bit too simple for me. Grid will be a definite purchase though.

I tested WarHawk on and off, and unlike LBP it didn't keep my attention after it left the office.

Uncharted was simply amazing though. Its true, the actual game itself doesn't have much going for it in terms of mechanics. Its just another 3rd person shooter at hear But the cinematic style of everything just makes it so immersive that you cant put it down. It is just like playing through a movie, and its amazing!!!

Has anyone purchased a PSX game yet. Are the textures "upscaled". Are the games 16:9 or are they still in their native resolutions? Cause Crash B is only a few quid... and that would keep me going for a long time (it was so hard back in the day)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
There you are then. Grid and Dirt :p

I loved Dirt, there was just something so huge and satisfying about it. Dirt 2 is more "fun" in the short term, but it's not as challenging or rewarding as Dirt was. Dirt is the real Colin M descendant.

I have Crash Bandicoot downloaded. It's the original. They don't touch the games at all. If it's in 16:9, it's just because that's what the TV displays it as :) Textures are the same, which is both good and bad... Good on the PSP :D

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'll second what furie says about DiRT.

The graphics and game play in DiRT 2 are much better than in DiRT, however there isn't as much of the 'point-to-point' rally driving that should dominate in a rally game. DiRT was more a challenge, but without a doubt DiRT 2 is more fun to play.

I have to admit, we only got DiRT 2 because it was a steal, however I don't regret it now. They're a lot of fun just to put on and play, without worrying about a hardcore story line as such.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LOL! I find it really odd. The handling in Dirt 2 I think is much better than most other games I've played (including Dirt). Everything seems to react and work as you'd expect it too, it's brilliant.

But then the courses are quite, arcadey is probably the best word. So it's designed as a quite burst of fun, rather than a real rally game. So you need to play Dirt for the tighter, more technical (and much more varied) courses, but Dirt 2 has the better handling (rather oddly).

Both are good games, just different. As I say, I find it odd :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Agreed. If they could get the handling/gameplay side of things from DiRT 2, and the track variance and technicality from DiRT and make them work well together in DiRT 3, then that'll be a winner.

peep

CF Legend
I was lent Batman: Arkham Asylum for a week or two and only enough time to play it this afternoon.

It's epic. Definitely lived up to the hype that I read on here. Harlequin <3 I didn't manage to complete it (played for about 5-6 hours) so I might try and borrow it again at a later date.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Aidan wanted Tony Hawk's Ride for Christmas, so I purchased it for him the day it came out. What a mistake! Horrid game. The board interface is crap & the game itself is just plain dull.

1/10

Luckily I was able to return the game & bought DJ Hero for him as a replacement. I also got DJ Hero at a bargain price of $80 (list price is $120).
We've been playing DJ for the past week & it's so much fun. We keep trying to outdo each others scores. We like that a bit more than the duel mode that allows you to play co-op using a Guitar controller (both Guitar Hero or Rock Band controllers work fine).
I pretty much like everything about the game. The turntable interface works flawlessly (scratching & crossfades work great), the music selection & mashups/mixes are top notch + the game is challenging enough without being too tough for beginners.
The great thing about the game is that even (somewhat) seasoned DJs like myself can enjoy the interface as much as anyone who has ever wanted to scratch & spin.
DLC is just starting to trickle in but I'm sure it will pick up, just like Guitar Hero DLC has become plentiful.
I haven't been able to play Xbox Live matchups yet, but I'll post another update with how that is soon.

9.5/10

kimahri

CF Legend
I bought a wii game. *gasp*

Blast Works. I originally found out about this when looking for bullet hell games (lol Touhou) and I found out a guy called Kenta Cho, downloaded one of his games and enjoyed it quite a bit. Thus I did a bit of research on his other games and TAKUMI Fighters was one. Never downloaded it though. Now that it's surprisingly been published on Wii I decided to buy this interesting little game which involes shooti' **** and picking up the debris from the **** you shot and shootin' more ****, metephorically speaking.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've only read bad things about Ride Jerry for months and months. The last few Tony Hawk games have been pretty lacklustre efforts though - I guess they thought "Wii gimmick selling like hot cakes with piss poor games, we can have some of that!" :no:

I've heard a lot of good stuff about DJ hero though, I don't have the room though for any more plastic gadgets!

Anyway, I just had a go on MAG (Beta)

I hate FPS. I hate on-line FPS. No idea why I played this, but I loved it :D

It's just really kind of "old school". Something about it just works really well. I get on with it immediately, and can actually rack up some kills and stuff (very unusual for me). It feels like Tac Ops or Counter Strike or something. Would be better on the PC, but it's still very, very good on the PS3.

I wonder what the 256 Vs 256 games are like???

If you want to play - you've got a few days before the Beta closes. It's available on the Playstation Store now.

spicy

Giga Poster
I just finished Assasins Creed 2. Great, great game in my opinion! If you were a fan of the first one like I was then I really recommend this.

Also the first one was slated for being too short, don't worry about that, this one is really long took me alot of hours to complete all the missions and I still haven't done everything.

Gets a 10/10 from me!