What's new

The Games we play...

peep

CF Legend
Got Lego Rock Band yesterday. Such a great game. The song selection is brilliant, can't wait to start playing the story mode.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Mountain Madman said:
To move things away from consoles for a bit, has anyone played the Sims 3? What did you think of it? I currently have both Sims 1 and 2 and am considering getting the third sequel plus the expansion, World Adventures. Good buy or not?

That depends. TS3 is on some levels amazing, especially the texture modifier (want a rubber car or a brick bed? Or a shower made of textiles? Make it!) and the new wants and fears system, but in other areas it's a huge step backwards:

- Most notably, the shops and community places. These are all pre-made 3D models, you can't see inside them, nor modify them much. That means, no custom restaurants or shops any more. You can still edit places like the gym or swimming pool, though, those are ordinary buildings.

- You can't make new lots, nor can you modify the neighbourhood. There's only one neighbourhood to choose from, and you have to demolish a lot if you want to build extensive...

- ...just too bad you can't build extensive. All the families run in the same real-time, and they make their own decisions (I let my sister play for a while, and when I returned to my sim, he had adopted a child, dumped his girlfriend and got a lot older. You can turn off aging for your sims, but then nobody gets older (lots of fun if you have a baby in the house...). You can also turn off the real-time, but that just means that your families does not age, while the rest of the neighbourhood does, and eventually all the NPCs die off. If you want to play with total control of multiple families, you'll have to make a new neighbourhood for each one. And no, you can't move sims between neighbourhoods. However, if you prefer to play with one family at the time, it's great.

Personality traits are a new great touch as well, and which traits your sims have really affects their behaviours. Too bad you can't choose traits yourself if the sim gets a bad childhood (the computer then lets them be Evil, Lazy and such).

All in all, these little bugs make me prefer TS2 for now. But that might be because I own all the expansion packs for it.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I've just got Forza 3 & Virtua Tennis 2009 for christmas.

Forza 3 seems mega, and it has Le Mans on it, so that makes it better instantly. It looks better than the last one, drives just as good, and seems to have a better gameplay interface and a more interesting single-player game, rather than just a shed-load of races to win.

Virtua Tennis is the same as always really, but once again the Career mode has been developed to make it more lastable and more worthwhile. Gameplay's always been great, so there's not a lot to improve on that, should be a good one!

Lucy also got Scene It for the XBox too, seeing as we've been having to go all the way to Mark & Marc's to play Buzz on the PS3! Its easily the equal of Buzz though, even if it is limited to just movie trivia. There's something for everyone, and there's loads of different games. Some of them are a little easy, but its still a really fun game, great multiplayer, and the handsets are even better than the PS ones!

Ben

CF Legend
robbeal said:
Forza 3 seems mega, and it has Le Mans on it, so that makes it better instantly. It looks better than the last one, drives just as good, and seems to have a better gameplay interface and a more interesting single-player game, rather than just a shed-load of races to win.

Forza 3 is seexxuuallll.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
^Yes! It is! I've not had chance to play it lots yet, but it looks wonderful. I'm happy enough just watching cut-scenes!

trav

Mega Poster
Not sure if this should go in here, but I've been playing Frogger recently. I got onto the high scores :)

ipp8p0.png

kimahri

CF Legend
Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time. <3

It kinda Reminded Me of Spyro The dragon (what with R&C and Spyro being developed by the same group and all.)

Spyro 1 is <3 as well. Wonder where my copy went.

peep

CF Legend
I got Fifa 2010 today for £30 (it was price tagged incorrectly :p). It's quite good, I'm useless at it but hopefully over time I'll get better etc. First football game I've purchased in years.

Ollie

CF Legend
Got Rock Band 2, Beatles Rock Band and Eye Pet for Christmas. Played one song on each of the RB's and they seem fun. Will write a bit more when I've played them quite a bit.

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Started to play Uncharted 2... and I have to say... I don;t think i've ever been as immersed in a game as I am with this.

The voice acting is awesome, it looks fantastic and its a brilliant game in general.

Ollie

CF Legend
^It's amazing isn't it. For some reason Marc and Mark don't think it's that great but their just 2 fish in an ocean. :p
But yeah it's so polished. Everything about it is perfect (graphics, sound, pacing, characters/voice acting) big awesome thankyou goes to Naughty Dog. The only thing now is if the third one can beat it.

peep

CF Legend
Pierre said:
peep said:
I got Fifa 2010 today for £30 (it was price tagged incorrectly :p). It's quite good, I'm useless at it but hopefully over time I'll get better etc. First football game I've purchased in years.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/ho ... 4294961129

;)

It was also £25 on release week in Asda!

A few weeks ago Gamestation were advertising it for £20 but I didn't really want it then lol.

Oh wells. The main point is that I have the game and I also cheated HMV out of £10 :p

Brookes

Giga Poster
Ollie said:
Got Rock Band 2, Beatles Rock Band and Eye Pet for Christmas. Played one song on each of the RB's and they seem fun. Will write a bit more when I've played them quite a bit.

Eyepet is so annoying, my sister got it and it's dead hard to move everything where you're meant in front of the camera.

Anyway, I got Fifa 10 and NFS: Shift which are going great, I really like the new type of races and gameplay of NFS.

kimahri

CF Legend
A while ago I went looking for The World Ends With You. After a while I found it and purchased it and waited till I finished Pokemon to try it... Then KH 358/2 days came out which delayed that even more.
But I've started it now and it has, in fact, one of the most fun battle systems I've played. At first it was over whelming and clumsy but now it's great fun. The story is still dodgey though.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Brookes said:
Eyepet is so annoying, my sister got it and it's dead hard to move everything where you're meant in front of the camera.

Yeah, Minor_Furie needs a lot of help, and you have to use it for a little while to get used to the way it works. Everything is mirrored, but it's not intuitive as you imagine that you put yourself in the position so you tend to move things backwards instead of forwards, and right instead of left.

It's frustrating at times, but awesome when it's working well :lol:

peep said:
Got Lego Rock Band yesterday. Such a great game. The song selection is brilliant, can't wait to start playing the story mode.

It was... Then I got quite a way into it. Most of the time it's fine. I've exported all my Rock Band songs and have a lot of DLC.

So that's good, apart from a lot of tracks are missing as they're "inappropriate" according to, well, some random mechanism. White Rabbit by Jefferson Aeroplane is perfectly suitable for a kid! It's a song that tells the tale of a kids book FFS!

Ahem, so other than that, what is the issue?

Repetition... There aren't quite as many tracks as you'd usually get on a RB/GH disk. That's okay, as you have all the DLC, etc.

The problem comes though because there's too much of having to us the built in songs. When you come to make a record, you need to choose 4 tracks. Usually, you'll have maybe six - ten songs you are good at and like (between your regular players). So four songs is okay.

Then you have to make a second record... And record a music video using an album you made. You have to do this four times for each. So essentially you would use every song on the disk if you used different tracks, and then repeat them all again.

This is on top of the repetition you get from having to play the songs for the general story mode.

It's a problem, because for the albums and video shoots - you have to use the disk content. No DLC at all. It's frustrating being confined to tracks you've played over and over.

I think this is generally an issue with the games anyway. There are always tracks you don't like but have to play. It's just that there's usually enough to get over it, and you can avoid the issue.

It's still a brilliant game, and the more pop based tracks are easier to learn from scratch than other RB/GH games. I still love the idea, it's just frustrating a little bit once you've got about halfway through.

RollerCoasterFanatic said:
Beatles: Rock Band= AMAZING!!!!
One of the best produced games ever. Pity about the last two sections with the (in my opinion) poorer Beatles tracks. Apple Corp rooftop is a real dirge to make your way through.

Also, I can only sing half of Paul McCartney's vocals, he works in a key my voice just can't work in. I can do it, but I really have to practice and concentrate.

Some of the best Rock Band tracks to sing and play guitar along to though. Norwegian Wood <3 :)

I've had quite a playable Christmas... Well, the kids have, I've tried to when I grabbed the chance.

Pixeljunk Shooter
Just brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I do like the Pixeljunk games anyway, but Shooter I was apprehensive about. It looked like "Thrust". An annoying 80's shooter where you had to fight against forces in a gravity free environment, collecting things and generally failing to deal with the gravity effects and blowing up after crashing into a wall every 20 seconds.

It's NOT like Thrust :) There is some inertia involved, but it's natural, it just works.

The gameplay though is just gorgeous. It's classic "blast 'em" action, mixed with some fluid dynamic puzzling. It's hard to explain, but it just plays perfectly. The controls work, the levels work, the fluid dynamics work and above all else - it's superb fun!

BUY THIS GAME NOW 10/10

Inferno Pool
Played the demo, thought it was interesting. So I bought the full game, as I do like pool/snooker types of games every so often. It's a bit like pool mixed with a multi-player "drop block" puzzler though. It's odd (and it's why I bought it over a normal pool game).

Essentially, when you pot a ball, you store it, then you can unleash those balls onto you opponents (you can have four players, either real or AI). The balls then land on their table.

The winner is either the first person to pot all their balls in the time limit (unusual) or the player with the "highest score". You score is based on balls potted, and what kind of mad tricks you pulled off to pot them (bouncing off cushions, using one balls to pot another, jump shots (yes, you can jump shot) and getting multiple balls in (and any combination of the above of course).

So you don't often know who's won until the end.

There's also standard 8 and 9 ball pool.

It's okay to be honest. It's not a massively accurate pool simulator, but that's not a bad thing. How much you like computer pool is really dictated by how much you like real pool. I find it's a way to give you something to do when you're in a pub and conversation is ebbing. It's a way to pass some time. Likewise, Inferno Pool is, but it's done in a Michael Bay way. Shallow, but exciting and good fun as long as you don't take it seriously.

Assassins Creed II
Played it for about two hours last night. I can't quite make up my mind. It's like GTA meets Prince of Persia (so was the first one). They've ironed out all the bugs of the original, but it's still pretty much more of the same.

It's a stunning game at times mind, some great bits and bobs. However, you're never fully immersed. You do just feel like you're sitting and playing a game. This isn't a bad thing I guess, but in a game like this where they're trying very hard to do just that - it fails.

It's good fun in its way, but the city is confusing (like the first one, you can't really tell where you are when you're running around) and very repetitive. Same kind of tasks over and over. I need to play it some more and see if it drags me in. I prefer a more linear adventure though, than something like this which is "open world" - but it's dull unless you do the missions they tell you to do - which kind of makes the whole open world thing a bit pointless.

So, judgement reserved at the moment...

marc

CF Legend
Been playing Lego Indie 2.

I loved the 1st one and I am enjoying the 2nd one even more.

The levels are more varied and there is more to do in the game.

The one thing I do not like is switching characters, it used to be easy but you can not change within a level now. You have to walk round find who you want and change before you start.

Other than that it's great fun.

Btw how are you guys getting updates to post on Facebook?