What's new

The Games we play...

kimahri

CF Legend
I was aware of what happens in the airport. I was more worried by the fact it didn't bother me at all.

Anyway it should be interesting to see what happens.

Lain

Giga Poster
That Makro deal is insane. It's almost 1/3 of the RRP!

I'll be getting mine from Asda tonight, as the nearest Sainsbury's is miles away.

Ollie

CF Legend
Lain is right. That Makro deal is crazily good. I am also getting my copy from ASDA as my nearest Sainsburys is hard to get to.

Anyway literally just a minute ago I got the Platinum on Uncharted 2. I think that's 6 or 7 Platinums I have now lol.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
For anyone that may be considering a PS3 (you know you want to ;) ).

Sainsburys are currently selling the PS3 Slim for a bargainous £200.

Linky

That's Minor_Furie's Christmas present sorted then :)

peep

CF Legend
^Wow that is very cheap. We were thinking of getting one for the grandparents for when the younger cousins go round, they then have something to do instead of driving everyone insane :p

marc

CF Legend
Who is getting MW2. I saw the video of it today and I do admit it looks stunning.

I am still playing Uncharted 2 which has still not impressed me at all. It is taking me ages as I simply can not be bothered with it, I do want to complete it though and I am near the end. As soon as I have completed it I will trade it in as I have no intention to ever play it again.

The story is poor, game play to me to the same as the 1st game and it is just anoying. Every time they drop a ladder you stumble back, after 50 times its rather boring. The game is just the same all the way through, jump on things and shoot people. And yet again near the end you get zombie type people, come on its been done before in the 1st game.

Yes I do admit the back ground graphics are stunning but for me its about the game and I prefer the 1st one.

Ollie

CF Legend
^That level is awesome but much more graphic and disturbing than I was expecting. It's just the way the civilians act real as well and drag themselves while bleeding across the floor and others come to try and help them. It's pretty heavy stuff but I like controversial things like that.

Anyway as you may of known I went to ASDA to get MW2 at midnight. I had no idea how busy it'd be so decided to leave just over an hour to get there. I arrived at the store at about 10:40pm and the queue was already coming out the door. Security and staff were checking ID's and giving people numbered tickets. I was number 22 so I'm guessing I was the 22nd person to get it. By about 11pm the queue had gone down the entire length of the car park and people were still joining it. It was crazy as I didn't expect it to be that busy. People in line were nice though and all seemed excited about the game and it got lots of people who hadn't met before talking which was good. When midnight came they started selling them. It seemed to take ages to get to the till even though I was near the front as they only had one till open for each platform they were selling it on.
Got my copy at about 12:15am and went home. Been playing it all night and have already completed the story so here's a little review on what I think of it.

Modern Warfare 2:
All you can say really is that it's ****ing amazing. Easily lives up to the hype and surpasses it. The levels are great and are full of intense action that keeps you on edge. The enemy AI is really good. They seem to have their own plans and try to out flank you so you end up being fired at from all directions which is pretty hectic. It had quite a few moments when I literally said "WOW" out loud which I don't think I've done with many games before. The airport level really stands out though as expected and shows why the game definitely needs it's 18 rating. It's just that it's something you've not seen in a game before and the way they've done it makes it feel like it's real and you do have to think about your options before you make choice.
The story took me roughly 6 hours to complete. But bare in mind that's on normal difficulty and playing it almost non-stop.
The only downside I can think of is that I can't make heads or tales of the story. I'm not very good at understanding military based narratives but because I don't get what's going on the levels don't seem to link together as well as they should do.
But the level of detail is incredible and the graphics are amazing. Also almost everything is fully destructible. And they react weird as well. For example if you shoot a wall it will make a crack and scold mark or whatever but if you shoot a basket it'll burn the material. Also if you shoot a fan etc the blades stop spinning (if they're still intact) and all things like paper that were moving and flapping stop. Another section I liked was when you're in a market and all the animals get spooked by the gunfire and all the chickens in the cages go crazy and if you pop a bullet into it it dies and feathers go everywhere. :p

Also played Multiplayer quite a bit as well. Still getting used to the maps but I have to say right now there doesn't seem to be much variety. Yes you've got snow and dessert etc but whereas in the last COD game I could think of distinct features about each map and plan out my tactics I can't do it with this one as they all seem slightly samey. The custom perks and kill streaks are great though.
So yeah it's a great game and definitely worth getting if you can get hold of a copy.
9.5/10

EDIT: Also has anyone else had any problems unlocking trophies? When I first played through the game the game hadn't even appeared in the trophy section and now it has but when I do something to unlock one nothing happens.

kimahri

CF Legend
Yeah, I got MW2 at dinner. Only got a chance to play it for half an hour before I had to go back to college. It's good yeah but IW have done the same thing that irritated me alot in the first MW (not sure if it's intentional). People popping out of no where and killing me in one hit. It's only a little thing but it's annoying. Not had a chance to do Multiplayer yet.

Dave

CF Legend
But awfully short games surely mean a good thing? Means its not been dragged out?

Portal is awesome and that can be completed in about 3-4 hours.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Brilliant article on Cracked.com regarding the short-/longness of video games:
http://www.cracked.com/article/190_5-pl ... ames-suck/

Basically, developers have two choices:
1) Make a long game, but it will get a "dragged out"-feeling. It's a limit on how much grinding gamers want to do, and it's a limit on how many plot twists a story can have before it gets tedious.
2) Make a short game, with a short and sweet story, but then again, length is often a criteria when people review games.

kimahri

CF Legend
So yeah, I've finished MW2's story.

*Spoiler Warning*

At first there wasn't many really interesting parts at the begining. Controversial scene was controversial but not really that bad although it did have cool music. The part with the EMP I found was more more interesting and memorable with all the stuff falling from the sky and then just stopping and starting to rain. I agree it was a bit too short but there is going to be another sequal to finish it all off.

*Spoiler ovar*

Multiplayer is like COD4 but alot more balanced. I can kill people on normal modes were as in COD4 I was too used to hardcore and when I attempted to kill anyone on other modes I got no where. I feel there are too many Rifles in this game and not much else however the different types of side arms are nice as well as being rewarded alot more than the prequal. Callsigns seem a bit uh, shoddy and low quality... then again they would probably take up alot of memory if they were higher quality.

Lain

Giga Poster
I haven't played it, but I've heard quite a few people say that they thought the video footage of Japanese PoWs in World at War was a lot closer to the bone than the airport level in MW2, due to the fact real footage was used. Hmm.

I agree with kimahri on the whole about the game. I haven't been online yet, though, so can't comment on that.

Also, I thought the ending was far too similar to that of CoD4, and I hated the way they made a sequel unavoidable by introducing Makarov and not killing him. Bah.

Ollie

CF Legend
I've been thinking more about it recently and have come to a semi-conclusion about the story mode. I feel that it's actually got TOO MUCH action in it. It feels like Infinity Ward have come up with all these epic ideas to put in the game and then worked the story around that. Whereas before you could pick out key scenes and locations here you forget about half of what you played due to explosions every and almost constantly being in gun fights.
It's good but I think I would of enjoyed it now if there were spaces in the story for you to have a little breather from the action and for them to make the story a bit better. They never explain the twist and why he did it which is silly.
Just playing through on veteran now as I got the trophies to work (had to delete and reinstall the patch). Just got to the Russian airport level so not that far into it yet but it means I don't have to do it again when I'm fed up with the story.

Also has anyone noticed how the multiplayer menus seem kinda childish? Whereas the previous games have had dull grey backgrounds and fonts this one has bright colours and all the pictures and symbols you get to customise your tag thing with are quite colourful and funky as well.
I'm doing crap at the moment online though. Got more deaths than kills which I didn't want. It's annoying as it seems I spend ages shooting people and they turn round and kill me with a single bullet. Really pisses me off sometimes. Still it's good fun though so I'm not going to stop playing it. :p
Also played a bit of special op with my brother. Great fun but some of them are insanely hard.
Actually IGN have summed up how I feel about the game pretty well in their review.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1zFmnlmSZE[/youtube]