What's new

The Games we play...

Nic

Strata Poster
I completed 'Another Code: Two Memories' last week. Any suggestions of similar games for the DS?

marc

CF Legend
furie said:
I didn't like it anyway :p

It was just BF 1942 all over again... So 2002! :p

I also want to play after eight! :p

I bought Zen Pinball and GTi Club instead :)

I enjoy pinball, and Zen Pinball is quite a good representation. It's not Pinball Dreams or Pinball Fantasies (Amiga and awesome), but it's still good fun. I love:

a) Being able to use my own music. It's rare I get a chance to listen to any, so this combines music AND games :)
b) Relaxing
c) Beating both Mark and Marc's high scores :p

GTi Club is really good fun. It's a very simple arcade racer, and there's not much to it. However, I've had a seriously enjoyable hour and a half or so on it. Just very focused racing.

Poor value for money with six cars that are all essentially the same and just three circuits (all in the same town area) for £8.

It has some challenging trophies though and the medium and hard levels are actually a real struggle.

I doubt I'll get much from it, but it's a good little blast of a game.

Now I know you have Zen I will have no choice but to beat you :)

I have been playing Burnout again after getting the Island pack :)

kimahri

CF Legend
Sega Saturn with Panzer Dragoon, PD Zwei PDS demo, 2 controllers, arcade stick, scart, memory card and power stuff for 40 quid.

house-do-want.jpg

Edit: 1 problem, I already have Panzer Dragoon Zwei. :|

Ah well. Sell it... or keep it. >_>

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
Now I know you have Zen I will have no choice but to beat you :)

If I catch you online, I'll challenge you to a game :)

mrclam said:
and by the time i decide - it'll be in the bargain bins...
:lol:

Tomorrow then?

I played the demo. It was pretty piss poor.

Actually, I thought it was really good the first time through. Once I'd got the hang of it - when you get into the fights, it's good. Yuo do indeed feel like you're taknig part in the film.

Then I played it again, and realized that the game was a bit tedious actually. Corridor shooter with ghosts... Only it's a comedy... Corridor shooter with ghosts that isn't scary and the comedy isn't funny.

It's okay, they tried to make it a bit less of a corridor shooter by having the ghosts move book cases to make it more (tedious?) maze like and extend the longevity. I suspect that after play testing, somebody said "hey, it only takes two hours to complete, can you add more to the game?" - so they did, they added moving walks to hamper the progress and add and extra two hours of aimless wandering to the game.

The shooting ghosts becomes very old, very quickly. I can imagine having a taste of disgust towards the original film (one of my all time favourites by the way) after just two or three battles.

Watching the video at the end of the demo, the game just looked like level and lifeless level (pun intended) of dire, badly laid out corridors and rooms to capture ghosts in - punctuated by tedious boss fights. All of it over in a particularly unfunny few hours with very little replay value.

Multiplayer may be good, but is it really any different (or better) than any other well founded multi-player games?

I trust Ollie's review about as much as I can trust his ability not to post spoilers ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
No, I was speaking outside of the review :p

I'll do a Malky and pick it up out of the bargain bin at some time. I'd say it's worth £20 at a push, but only then because both kids enjoyed it (never trust the taste of a toddler ;) ).

mrclam

Giga Poster
I played the wii version on the weekend and enjoyed it. Not enough to buy it though.

The 360 version - i'm waiting for the demo to be available to silver members... Man i hate how microsoft do this! Next time i'm sticking with sony

Nic

Strata Poster
Just seen that the new Prefessor Layton is out in September! :D YAY!

Yes... I only like silly girly games :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Ur... completed Club Penguin on the DS for my little sister. It was alright. Quite hard for a kids game though.

Otherwise I'm trying to get all the online trophies on Ghostbusters. I've got all the offline ones. Some of them are quite hard and I've only got till Saturday morning to get them before I have to give the game back to Blockbuster. The race is on. :p

kimahri

CF Legend
I'm nearing the end of Professor layton and it just had the cheesyest and cliched plot twists ever. and it was awesome.

Ollie

CF Legend
^Professor Layton is awesome. Some of the challenges are super difficult though. But it's good to actually have to use your brain in a game other than Brain Training DS balls. :p
I liked the plot twist though. I wasn't expecting it. It might of just been me being dumb though lol.

Ollie

CF Legend
^It's awesome isn't it? :D
Even when you complete the main story stuff there's still TONNES of other things to do. All the other mini-games and modes are great fun in their own way and it's one of those games where you can't stop playing.
In the missions you always find yourself looking forward to the next level to find out what new plants and zombies you'll get. And because you're always unlocking stuff and the location changes every now and then it keeps the gameplay fresh and very entertaining. :)

So yeah. I recommend everyone to get it. Especially as it's only around £15 which is a real bargain.