What's new

The Games we play...

peep

CF Legend
Ollie said:
HEHEHEHEHE. Can't wait. :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOkOAZqh4Og&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

Omg, what an odd game. It looks like a kids game but it's so violent (blood splatters). Mass online play sounds like fun. Do you know when it comes out and how much it'll be?

mrclam

Giga Poster
PS: Game of the show (for me) was also from sony:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULgknP-owRk[/youtube]

mrclam

Giga Poster
BTW: Who is it who keeps going on about monkey island?

In honour of the new game and stuff.. Ron analyzes the original game and gives away some of his thoughts on it - and insight into the development process... (while promoting Deathspank (tm))

http://grumpygamer.com/8280380

Is it dave?

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
^I am looking forward to it..... but i hope its successful, see that some people still like the point'n click formula, and start to make original games again :) hasnt really been a good one scince ??Grim Fandango??

Hopefully it won't be too steep on the marketplace, as i think in this instance id rather see the game in glorious hd on a tv, rather than on my pc :)

Lain

Giga Poster
I ordered The Darkness on PS3 from Asda for £5, but then they cancelled my order and put the price up to £39.91.

Not amused. :(

peep

CF Legend
^That's retarded.

My sister purchased Sims 3. So as she is having an exam I'm installing it on our old retarded pc. I pray it works.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Trash Panic

Buy it now! Best £3.99 you will ever spend at the Playstation Store.

I'll bet you want to know why don't you? You don't just want "because it's the greatest cheap little game ever" do you?

It's kind of like Tetris... With trash... and physics...

Trash drops into a large bin, and you have to arrange - just like Tetris.

Unlike Tetris, you can smash trash down and it will bend and shatter and splinter. So drop a post box onto a violin and it will obliterate the violin, giving you more room. Drop a safe onto the post box and it will bend in the middle giving more room. Smash a barrel of water onto that, and it will split and spill water into the trash.

There's fire too, and you can build bonfires of combustible materials. Drop water from a toilet onto it though and it douses the flame.

When the trash gets near the top, you have to be careful not to let it "spill over". It's not a set height line like Tetris, but more of a balancing game. Throw a tyre on too hard, and it will bounce out and it's game over. Chuck on a milk float and you may be able to compact the lower levels enough.

It's a superb new take on an old format. It's comfortable in it's execution, but brilliant fun in it's kind of "sandbox" game play.

There's no reason in the world for a PS3 owner not to buy this!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BRQqDRo7h8[/youtube]

peep

CF Legend
I was very tempted to get Trash Panic when I was in the Playstation store the other day. Still not 100% if I'll get it but it does sound great.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
£4, not even two pints and it will give you many hours of fun and enjoyment - seriously, what is there to think about? :p

peep

CF Legend
^hehe, I shouldn't really spending more money on games at the mo, need to save for park trips. Might get it next week or something when I'm bored :p

Finally got Sims 3 installed. I seriously didn't think my old pc (which we use for games) was going to handle it. I started it all up and it crawls along, takes up half the computer space (a massive 6GB) and I found it a nightmare to do anything. I'm not the one that likes Sims though so I just find bad things with it :p. From my tiny insight into it though I could tell it was so much better than 2. Everything has been improved although I find the camera controls a bit lame (could just be my pc being silly).

Lain

Giga Poster
Whilst on the subject of the Playstation Store, some might be interested to know that Final Fantasy VII is now on there for £7.99.

Now that's a bargain if there e'er there was one.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
PS Store games are awsome.. anyone else heard about Gravity Crash? I'll get this one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgnllZxcbuc[/youtube]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ploddish said:
I can't see how the Sony motion controller is *any* different to the Wiimote + Motion Plus, in terms of what they actually do? Honestly? How is it going to be any different with Sony?

It also detects depth in a 3d field - motion plus is just a more accurate system than the accelerometers. Wii is rubbish at detecting distance from the screen.

The biggest issue is that it isn't different, and Sony haven't had runaway success with the Eye Toy on PS3 because their machine is too expensive for the casual crowd who lapped it up on PS2 (the same crowd who now have Wii's collecting dust).

The mistake Sony and MS are making is trying to compete here (even if with Sony it was a case of blowing the cobwebs off technology they already had in a cupboard). Wii owners aren't going to buy a PS3 or 360 because it has a Wii like stick and games. They are going to buy them because they want the games on that system, the ones that don't involve waggling your arms like a maniac. They're playing catch up in a market they will never play in...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The camera bit on the front of the Sensor bar are two infra red sensors.

The work like our eyes - so they're slightly offset to be able to work out depth of vision and create the 3d effect.

If you've ever played a game though on the Wii that needs you to push in or pull out - you know it's flakey at best. The Wii (before motion plus) was all about fooling people into thinking it was better than it was. By producing a brand new system, people were blinded and overlooked the shortcomings. The games too wahsed over the failures. Those that didn't got poor reviews. Wii sports itself isn't very good really - it's just different. The Wii remote literally replaces a D-Pad, not working well on sensing changes. Wii sports works by being a bit fluffy and making the games simple and do a lot of the work for you.

I don't mind the Wii, it's just that it's not everything promised (Wii Plus is getting there). Sony have a better system that already works. Natal looks interesting, but like the Sony stuff - it just doesn't do anything for me games wise. It wil ljust be a bundle of poor Wii ripoffs and everyone will soon crave their pads. The reason? Pads are more accurate and responsive all of the time.

How many times have to missed something playing a game because the Wii remote didn't quite get the movement command you sent? How many times did I get a poor score on Eye Toy Play because it didn't read me right? How many missed notes on GH because the sensor on the neck didn't pick up me trying to get into whatever the bonus mode is?

These things are great fun - good toys. To play with permanently though? I have a £100 quality force feedback wheel for playing racing games - but for arcade racers it's useless because the response isn't there. I don't want a raft of Mario Kart games so I can play waving my arms about - I want precision control that's fats and responsive and only a thumb flick can give you that!

Ollie

CF Legend
Lain said:
I ordered The Darkness on PS3 from Asda for £5, but then they cancelled my order and put the price up to £39.91.

Not amused. :(
Why would they do that?

Anyway I rented the Terminator Salvation game from Blockbuster today. Couldn't resist the chance of getting a gold trophy for every level you complete and a Platinum for getting only 11 other trophies which you get just by completing the game in hard mode once which takes about 4 1/2 hours. :p

Yes I'm addicted to trophies. :lol:

kimahri

CF Legend
Lain said:
Whilst on the subject of the Playstation Store, some might be interested to know that Final Fantasy VII is now on there for £7.99.

Now that's a bargain if there e'er there was one.

NIET!!!

mrclam

Giga Poster
Ploddish said:

Okay.. as the gaming press is too stupid to point this all out.

Sony's device worked, and it worked real time without any screw ups. Microsofts one didnt.

With regards to natal :

1. do you really need a 3d camera to navigate a 2d dashboard? Whats wrong with using the dpad exactly?

2. How does the depth sensing work if part of your body is obscured by a table (for example)? - most people dont have large empty living rooms.

3. will the "face recognition" stuff recognise you if you have a different hair cut? (for example)

4. will the depth sensing work if you're stood side on? For example if you wanted to simulate a bow and arrow?

5. lack of resistance when doing stuff. For example, on wii when you're pushing/pulling stuff it never "feels" right as there is no resistance.

6. The painting app showed just how "wooly" the motion sensing was. Compare that to sony's "handwriting" demo - something the wii couldnt do either. In fact there was NOTHING in the "painting" demo that couldnt have been done on the eye toy.

Most of what microsoft demoed REAL TIME (i.e. the non made up stuff) and the stuff which actually worked - is stuff which has been possible for YEARS with the eyetoy.

But as furie pointed out.. these things wont be huge successes.. they're fun add-ons.. which are coming VERY LATE in both of the consoles lifetimes... If you do genuinely feel that natal will be huge - take a look at how succesful the eyetoy was.

The eyetoy was great fun, i bought one... But ultimately it was just doomed to mini game hell.

The sony system on the other hand works, and COULD have REAL WORLD gaming implications (outside of mini game fests)... But I feel too late in the ps3's lifespan to be worthwhile - maybe the ps4 will come bundled with it?