Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
RollerCoasterFanatic said:
EDIT: Speaking of things like this Taylor you should check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Runnings

Who would've thought?[/url]
BEST FILM EVER!

My thoughts on the Winter Olympics? Well we're not hugely into watching spots in my family, so I don't think I'll get round to seeing much of it. Having said that, I am fairly interested in the skiing/snowboarding (especially the freestyle) and I do like watching the bobsled/skeleton run events.

As for who will get the most medals, no idea, I don't know enough about all this stuff. I'm much more into the X-Games I'm afraid.

Finally, heard on the news this morning that a bobsled-er was killed when he hit a metal post in training. Such a shame.

Nic

Strata Poster
^ He was on the luge (feet first on a tea tray)

PS. The girl lip syncing the national anthem proves that yes, they are all, in fact, as bad as Tay ;)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Well it's basically the same sport. Bobsled is just four-man luge. ;)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^*much* :roll:

I know I'd be ****ting it, and I don't think I'd quite want to do it at full speed the first time, but I think it looks incredibly exhilarating. I'd love to watch it, but I'd love to try it. Just one run, but it'd be brilliant.

Luge/Skeleton Run... not without a bit of practice!

CMonster

Giga Poster
Swimming should be in these Olympics. I mean, just use an indoor pool or something! :wink:

Oh, and I think Shaun White's gonna do well.

RCF

Strata Poster
^He's pretty much the only person I pay attention to in the Winter Olympics as I know no one else nor do I care.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
There two perfectly good reasons to watch the Olympics, even if you could care less for sports.

U.S. Alpine skier Lindsey Vonn:
rb_lindsey_vonn-0576_prv.jpg

201108SK12.jpg

and Australian halfpipe snowboarder Torah Bright:
torah_bright_snowboard_revolution.thumbnail.jpg

torah-bright.jpg

Both are gold medal contenders!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, that's why she had to sit out yesterday's opening ceremony.

RCF

Strata Poster
Oh I just thought she was out cuz she had no time to practice. But yeah she's a big gold medal contender.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Ha, Taylorland <3 Even though it's literally like a three or four day drive away :p .

Umm, I bet the Japanese or some Asian country around there like China or something will get the most medals, as usual.

Anything north of the US border is Taylorland per definition. Oh, and it has to be on the other side of the sea.

And... a-hem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Oly ... edal_count
Japan has nine Winter Olympic gold medals throughout history. China has four. Norway has ninety-eight :p

Nic

Strata Poster
Lets hope no one "does a Jacobellis" this year. What an idiot.

Actually, no, it'd be good if they do. Question of sport will need something for the "what happens next?" round ;)

I don't really care about Vonn and her bruises. Skiiers are ****e. Torah on the other hand. FITTTTT! <3

Gazza

Giga Poster
She's probably too busy clubbing a baby seal you obese arrogant American, meanwhile all the Brits are too busy being whingers over the whole matter, and our Irish members are just too dim witted to even notice...Still, I have already been deported on a convict ship for stealing a loaf of bread, so I can hardly complain ;)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^The phrase "hit the nail on the head" springs to mind.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I was watching the final round of the men's luge last night. It's strange how you get to know the sport fairly well after watching it for a while. The moguls were quite fun to watch as well. Hooray for Canada finally winning a gold medal at their own games.

Martyn

Giga Poster
UC said:
Mogul skiing, on the other hand...I just don't see the point, except to do it for the hell of it. I suppose the same could be said for a ton of different outdoor sports, but the origin of Mogul skiing really intrigues me for some reason...perhaps because my knees are bad enough, I couldn't imagine ever feeling a desire to do a sport like that, which is essentially designed to destroy you from the waist down.

Haha, I watched some of that yesterday, it's ridiculous.

And because they're so good at it, they make it look really easy - it's just going down a hill in a straight line, piece of piss!

And then there's the occasional backflip or 360 just to show off.

I assume it's judged, because of the poncy stunts? Any sport that's judged is pretty questionable really, to be quite ignorant about it, it's just opinion after all.

It should just be who-can-slide-down-the-hill-fastest-without-falling-over, then it's just them and a completely impartial clock.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Moguls were awesome! It's so ****ed in the head, it was actually good :p I do prefer the more unusual events to the boring events, like the Skiing on at the moment :roll:

HAW CANADA WON THEIR FIRST GOLD ON CANADIAN SOIL. Which I guess is kinda sad since we had three olympics here, but still, it's exciting news.

I watched some figure skating yesterday and it was decent I guess. The Canadians did their thing to the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack, and had an epic fail when the woman fell, but it was cool anyway.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Just saw the snowboarding, that was imense.

Shame America won, I'd rather Canada did. This is loads better than the normal Olympics!