What's new

The 2010 Winter Olympics

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
As far as I know, these start in Vancouver, Taylorland, later this evening (local time). It's a global sports event, or at least it's a major sports event for any country with snow and self-respect.

So...

- Who will get the most medals? And which?
- Will there be any doping scandals? If so, how are the odds for the Russians?
- Will that biathlete from Kenya get any rewards from all the training?
- Will Vancouver get any snow, so they can pull off the games?
- Will these Olympics top 1994?

And R.I.P to Nodar Kumaritashvili, who died during training in the Skeleton course earlier today. The Georgian athlete was aged 21.

Now discuss.

Ha, Taylorland <3 Even though it's literally like a three or four day drive away :p .

Umm, I bet the Japanese or some Asian country around there like China or something will get the most medals, as usual.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
That news is very sad. Let's hope it doesn't overshadow the event :(

There's a guy from Milton Keynes nicknamed 'The Snow Leopard' whose competing. I don't think for GB, but he certainly will be one to look out for on the slalom.

Our best hopes lye in the one where they constantly think the ice is dirty. We always get the best ones with OCD winning medals for us in that. God bless the UK mental health service <3

Homer

Hyper Poster
Vancouver 2010 = best mascot ever;
bear1573909c4995208.jpg

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
ciallkennett said:
Our best hopes lye in the one where they constantly think the ice is dirty. We always get the best ones with OCD winning medals for us in that. God bless the UK mental health service <3

You mean Curling?

wash

Mega Poster
Pokemaniac said:
- Will Vancouver get any snow, so they can pull off the games?
weather.com says no snow in Vancouver itself in the next 10 days. However, I'd think there would be a good amount of snow in the mountains where the skiing/snowboarding events will be.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Haha. So somebody photoshopped pedobear into the image and some foreign newspaper printed it? Brilliant!

I'm looking forward to this. The Winter Olympics have all the fun crazy sports. Although the death of that athlete brings reality back in a bit. Still, bring on ski jumping, tea tray sliding, ice mincing and whatnot.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Uh... yeah! I want to do that too, whatever that is. :p

tks

Strata Poster
The luge. Y'know that one where the guy died in training yesterday.

*sigh* Apparently the course has always been thought of as a bit extreme.

Does anyone else think it's wrong that they are posting videos of the athlete's death, as well as pictures and stuff? It's actually one of the most horrific things I've seen, just the prospect that you see him alive, and a few seconds later, he's dead. Plus the pictures they have posted are photos taken literally milliseconds before he hit the pole. I don't think it's fair if the family and friends see it.

RCF

Strata Poster
^Well his family's going to have to deal with it and possibly see his body anyway and it's for the public (who, for whatever reason likes to see these things) to watch, and see the horrors of what has happened. Yes it's slightly wrong but that's how it goes.

My views on the Winter Olympics? Don't really care much. I'll watch vits and pieces such as snowboarding and skiing but that's about it.

^ I watched it many times simply because of the shock and horror factor I guess.. But still, yes they're going to have to see the body, but I doubt they ever gave the permission to have the video released or whatever. Still, very horrifying and very sad.

On a higher note I guess, I find it funny how countries like Pakistan are competing in skiing.. How they even got into that I'll never know.

nealbie

CF Legend
RollerCoasterFanatic said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:
On a higher note I guess, I find it funny how countries like Pakistan are competing in skiing.. How they even got into that I'll never know.

So many jokes are floating through my head right now.

EDIT: Speaking of things like this Taylor you should check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_Runnings

Who would've thought?[/url]

You sir, can have LOLs! Good effort! =D>

Nic

Strata Poster
Dad used to work with the guy that was coaching the skiier from Ghana. This was a couple of years ago, and I dunno what happened with it. They trained at the MK snow dome. There were lots of jokes at the time about how it was all a bit Cool Runnings.

Anyhoo, I quite like the Winter Olympics. And the real Olympics for that matter. Gives you a chance to see sports that aren't normally on the telly, and that's a great thing imo.

I'm not too keen on the skiing events, find them a bit boring to watch. I like the ice skating, and the curling. I also like the snowboarding, although it upsets me because I can't go anymore. Oh yeah, does anyone wanna buy a snowboard? :cry:

Inverse

Hyper Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:

Google Maps

The north of Pakistan is very mountainous, it's the far western end of the Himalayas.

mountains_small.jpg