What's new

Tennis Topic

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Fantastic tennis from Djokovic to pretty much destroy the king of clay today. Brilliant stuff. Murray played bloody well too...but he literally doesn't stand a chance against the Serb. Shame really, he'll have Wawrinka or Tsonga in the final who he could easily beat. It's Djokovic's for the taking!

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Amazing match from Murray today. To get two sets back from Djokovic, he played some of the best tennis I've seen him play since Wimbledon 2012/13. Djokovic was too strong in that final set but Murray will win Wimbledon this year, I'm sure of it. He can beat Djokovic. Apart from the odd 'one or two' I reckon Murray and Djokovic will be favourites to win titles, Federer is too old and Nadal is too useless now :(

robbeal

Hyper Poster
It really is now! There's no reason he should lose to Wawrinka in the final, and if he wins this, he's won all Grand Slams, so fair play to the man. He's a top top player, and a genuinely nice bloke too.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Wouldn't write Wawrinka off so easily, he's been immense on clay and tore Federer apart. With an extra day and a half rest too, he could be dangerous.

Feel for Murray somewhat, Federer/Nadal/Djokovic will easily be top ten of all time and he's hung around with them and picked up two slams and a gold medal in the process. Think it'll only be after he's gone that people realise just what a high level he's been performing at.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Yeah definitely, he's just been unlucky to have been born into the same era as the other three. Any other time, he'd probably be world No.1.

As for Wawrinka, yeah he's definitely a top player and he's really impressed me in recent years with his climb into the top 10, and the way he's stayed there, but I can't see him taking down Djokovic. I could watch that backhand all day though, best shot in tennis.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I should listen to your thoughts more often, Smithy. How about tipping Murray to win more often, you clearly have luck with this stuff! Haha.

Sensational stuff from Wawrinka, I am quite speechless. Both Wawrinka and Djokovic played an outstanding match of tennis today. I think Djokovic playing three consecutive days took it out of him, but Wawrinka deserves this.

I feel kinda sorry for Djokovic that he hasn't polished off his Grand Slam today, I was hoping to see some history today, but Wawrinka winning is history enough for me. There's always next year.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Haha I've called a fair few wrong tbf.

I knew Wawrinka would play well, his clay form has gone under the radar because we've been focusing on Murray and the will he/won't he story around Nadal, plus he's played very well against Djokovic the last few times.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Yay. The best event in the sporting calendar begins tomorrow, Wimbledon! :D

What are your predictions? Mine are pretty simple. Murray will win Wimbledon.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I'm almost, almost as confident.

He's got a possibly tricky route and Wimbledon more than most brings the best out of some people.

Think Raonic is due a big tournament. Karlovic and Isner will go deep just for their serves.

Think Federer, Murray and Djokovic all make the quarters. One of them will lose there, one in the semi's, one will win the final.

Can't quite nail who I believe wins it out of Andy and Novak though.

As a bit of a left field shout I'd love it if Berdych does it.

nealbie

CF Legend
Jordan and I have our tickets for Court #2 today after staying up all night and getting here for 4:30. We also lucked in to some studio audience tickets for the 2day at Wimbledon show this evening. Yay haha.

Get to see Berdych this afternoon, but first (the other) home favourite, Ward.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
It was awesome, a great day. So worth not sleeping at all Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Also got resale tickets for centre court in the evening to see the last set and a half of Nadal's match, quite some match! Smithy be jealous :p

Second major upset I've seen on that court, the first being Federer in 2013 R2 losing, what an evening that was!

Smithy

Strata Poster
When you get a selfie with him, then you can talk about jealousy. He's not been the same since though :(

Murray looked a bit shaky today, hope the injury is nothing serious. Huge fight from Ward too.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I genuinely think Nadal is past it. I'm not a fan of the guy as I've pronounced many times, but I can appreciate he is a world class player and I don't like to see a fantastic name in the sport crash like he has recently, one of the best to ever live but he simply refuses to change and adapt his game as he's gotten older. He's 30 now, yes Federer is older but he has changed the way he plays. Nadal, for the first time since 2004 he doesn't 'hold' any grand slams, he's down to 10th (probably slip more after Wimbledon). He needs to change the way he plays, and get a new coach! Yes, it's been great with Uncle Toni but there needs some new blood in the Nadal camp.

Yeah gutted for Ward, I got to sit on court 2 on Thursday with nealbie and watch his R2 match which was amazing stuff, and he came close tonight but it wasn't to be :/

Glad Murray made it through despite the hard 3rd set, quite a spectacle of a result 6-2 6-2 1-6 6-1!

Smithy

Strata Poster
Surreal level of tennis, Murray didn't even play badly (sure I saw that he had his best ever 1st serve % at Wimbledon today), Federer was just unplayable. That 20 minute game in the 2nd set was the best tennis I've ever seen.

nealbie

CF Legend
It's so amazing watching Federer buttrape other top quality players with little to no effort. He had no intention of breaking until towards the end of each set and just nailed it every time.

That 15 minute game was indeed fab tennis too! <3

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I am gutted for Murray, I really thought he was gonna do it. I haven't seen the match yet, I'll watch it tomorrow before the women's final.

I really really hope Federer does it on Sunday, if he plays as well as you guys say he played today then it sounds like he might do it. Anyone know where I can find a Swiss flag?

I also found several people raving on Twitter about how Nadal is the best player to ever live and not Federer. I am going to quote a post I put on Neal's Facebook.

myself on fb said:
Ugh cretins moaning on twitter about how federer can't be the best player to ever live because nadal has beaten him 23 times whilst he's only besten nadal 10 times. Yeah fair but that's one player over a relatively short space of time. Who has won more matches overall? Federer. Who has won more titles? Federer. Who has won more grand slams? Federer. Who has has more wins over to 10 players? Federer. Who was world number one for **** 302 weeks? Federer. Who is still, at 33 number 2 in the world? Federer. Nadal is 10th and will drop even further now, hes lost to world 100+ players at wimbledon 4 years in a row ffs! yes he's the best ever clay court player but over all, federer is the best player of all time. I really really hope he wins on Sunday.

I'm gonna create a poll in another topic about who you think is the best player to ever live in the modern era actually.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Impressive stuff hey?! Obviously Murray was the reigning force but every one else played their parts! Such good news, Britain, tennis champions of the world!