What's new

Tennis Topic

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Do you think the 'high profile ex-pro' thing works? Personally I'm not so sure...having said that Federer is doing much better than he was last year and Djokovic is still world number 2.

I seem to remember Murray saying after Aus Open, 'it's great to see the old faces of Becker and Edberg back on the tour but a high profile ex-pro isn't for me'. I'm sure I remember reading that.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Hard to say really. Worked with Murray but that was sensible, Lendl was the only other player to go through what Murray went through so his experience was invaluable.

Federer is doing better with Edberg but a part of that is also down to him getting used to a new racket/racqeut (lul not a clue which one to use) that he struggled with last year.

Djokovic working with Becker was the oddest one, by trophy standards he had a poor 2013 but yet he reached several finals before bringing Becker on board. That's the one I see making the least sense going forward but iirc he's not a full-time coach, moreso just an advisor at big events where he'll be there as a commentator anyway.

To be fair at the level the top players are at and the teams they have around them there's little for a coach to actually do bar working on strategy against certain players/styles.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Aye I think that video ties with his initial comments in showing it was moreso Lendl's decision than Murray's. Don't think he's annoyed at Lendl with it, the pair of them clearly really like each other. Plenty of time to make a decision though. From his book I seem to recall him saying masses and masses of people putting themselves forward as potential coaches in the past so I imagine that'll happen this time too.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
The French Open 2014 begins on Sunday. Any thoughts?

I suppose it's gonna be Nadal again isn't it but I'd happily put a bet on to say there'd be an upset.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Reckon we'll see some of the big seeds fall early on. Don't expect Murray to make the quarters (though he put up a stunning effort against Nadal the other week on clay), think Federer will fall early, have high hopes for Berdych and Raonic to go deep.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Murray and Nadal are in the same half which is annoying but I suppose no matter what, he'll have to overcome Nadal at some point.

I get the feeling Murray is slowly getting back into his stride again now, but we all know, clay isn't his forté so I'm not really expecting too much.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
You can call me mad or mental, that's up to you but if Murray can get past Monfils in tomorrow's quarter finals, Murray can win the French Open.

He'll (99% likely) face Nadal in the semis but Nadal isn't playing as well as he can and his back is clearly playing him up, Murray can take him I reckon and I strongly believe it.

He'd most likely have Djokovic in the final and Djokovic is the one player Murray can beat in grand slam finals. I genuinely think Murray can do this now.

Smithy

Strata Poster
You're mental :p

Murray will beat Monfils in four sets, but will lose to Nadal in straight sets.

Djokovic will beat Nadal in five in the final.

He won't win it, his serving has been woeful and although his backhand yesterday was a thing of absolute beauty, he just doesn't have the game to beat Nadal or Djokovic on clay.

Fancy Berdych as a cheeky outsider, but then I'm always rooting for him and he falls so close all the time :(

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Whatever happens though he has surprised me, since his back surgery late last year he hasn't been playing as well. Yet, he has come to the French Open which he missed last year and which is his least favourite surface and still managed to get through to the quarters. He performs when he needs to.

As for Wimbledon, I reckon Murray can defend his title. Federer just isn't a task anymore for the likes of the other big 3, I'd like a big Nadal Murray Wimbledon final if I'm honest. But would Murray win it...?

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Well THAT was a **** roller coaster. I couldn't watch the match but kept up to date on my phone, when he lost the 4th 6-1 I thought it was all over. How he managed to pull it out of the bag though only he knows :p

I did hear he wanted to go off at the end of the 4th and didn't get his own way. What I often find with Murray is if something pisses him off he plays MUCH MUCH better tennis. I still stand by what I said, he can defeat Nadal, and it won't be easy, let's hope something pisses him off :p

Smithy

Strata Poster
Nah, Ferrer battered Nadal for two and a half sets and apart from the first set couldn't get near him.

Murray has a chance of taking a set, but that's it. Nadal has lost one game at the French open and something like 60+.

He is an absolute champion though, again conceded a point he didn't need to just to get on with the game, take the heat out of a situation and in both occaisions he's actually conceded a point he didn't need to. Reflects very well of him.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
It's Nadal's to win, I can't see Djokovic doing it, UNLESS Nadal's back plays him up like it did at the Aus Open against Wawrinka. I want Djokovic to win for him to get his career slam but I want Nadal to win to become the winner of more French Opens than anyone else in history.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Djokovic deserves a career Grand Slam, Federer lucked out to get his what with Nadal's injury but Djokovic earning it would be a massive achievement. He's the only player on the entire tour who can get close to Nadal on the surface.

Casio

Mega Poster
^How exactly was he injured?

http://www.ina.fr/video/CAB10000647

Simply no way. It's such a shame for Soderling for anyone to say Nadal was injured that day; sure he may have been hurting, no one but him can know that, but it certainly didn't affect his game. Soderling just hit ridiculously deep and ridiculously hard. Federer then played exceptional tennis to beat Soderling (try hitting four aces out of four serves in a slam final tiebreak and call it good luck). You can only beat who's put in front of you.

On topic, before the semis I would've called Djokovic the slight favourite for the final, but now I think Nadal is really the strong favourite. He played his best match of the year today, and after two sets Djokovic looked very tired. I think it may be a little embarrassing on Sunday.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Casio said:
^How exactly was he injured?

http://www.ina.fr/video/CAB10000647

Simply no way. It's such a shame for Soderling for anyone to say Nadal was injured that day; sure he may have been hurting, no one but him can know that, but it certainly didn't affect his game. Soderling just hit ridiculously deep and ridiculously hard. Federer then played exceptional tennis to beat Soderling (try hitting four aces out of four serves in a slam final tiebreak and call it good luck). You can only beat who's put in front of you.

Tendonitis in his knees that following this match kept him out for several months?

Believe me I dislike Nadal more than most, but he was clearly injured in that tournament. And as much as I love Federer, and as good as he is, he never would have won the French Open if Nadal wasn't injured.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
While Nadal plays tennis he will win the French Open, that's just a sad fact. Murray can and probably will win in Australia. But Murray will have to hope Nadal gets injured for the french, and probably Ferrer and Djokovic to just make sure :p

But by the time all this comes round again he might be playing for Scotland so......