What's new

Tennis Topic

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
That's such a brilliant quiz. I got 3 wrong though :/

I reckon Murray's got this. He's playing exceptional tennis, Djokovic is being broken with, almost, ease, as is Nadal, early on in the match anyway.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Djokovic is still the bookies favourite and he's still mine. Think Murray will struggle against Dimitrov, though do fancy him to make the final.

Raonic, Isner and Federer have yet to drop a service game.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I don't really rate Dimitrov, I don't know why, I know he won Queen's but there's just something about his game.

I'd love Federer to win. I really would. I'd love Murray to win more but I want to see Federer win at Wimbledon once more.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Murray's first test came today vs. Kevin Anderson. Stunning 3rd set with a brilliant tiebreak. They both played fantastic tennis. Murray made it in straight sets though.

Dimitrov (who won Queen's) or Mayer in the quarter finals. I'll be slightly nervous if it's Dimitrov because of the hype the guy's been given, but like I said, I don't really rate the guy.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
What an upset today. Nadal was defeated in four sets by the world number 144.

Nick Krygios was the first time a player outside of the top 100 has defeated the world number one since 1992 and the first time a teenager has defeated the world number one since Nadal himself did it in 2005 against Roger Federer at Roland Garros.

This means 3 of the men's quarter finalists were born in the 1990s for the first time in history. Murray has Dimitrov tomorrow. Should be an excellent game.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I never thought I'd see Federer in another major final. He's only ever lost one, to Nadal in 2008 and that is wisely regarded as the greatest tennis match in history. The problem Federer is going to have is he hasn't really been tested apart from against Wawrinka...I want Federer to win because realistically it's his last chance but I can't really see it. I just hope Djokovic plays reasonably poorly like he did in his semi final.

It was sad to see Bouchard get destroyed by Kvitova yesterday. I mean 6-1 and then a bagel 6-0. But Kvitova played some of the most outstanding women's tennis I've ever seen so credit to her. We'll be seeing a lot more of both players over the coming years.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Djokovic is the Wimbledon champion. It was such fantastic match. It was unbelievable close too, Djokovic won 6-7(7) 6-4 7-6(6) 5-7 6-4. Absolutely fantastic. I wanted Federer to win but, I'll be honest, the better player won today.

The saddest part of today? Wimbledon is over for another year. :( Just 357 days to go! ;)

Smithy

Strata Poster
Called Djokovic all the way and the only time I waned was when Federer won the fourth saving a match point.

Wanted Federer to win more just as I think this was his last chance at both a Wimbledon title or a Grand Slam at all, the younger players beneath are getting better and he had a piss-easy route to the final all things considered. Toughest test was an exhausted Wawrinka and Raonic whose game was made for Roger.

Didn't want either man to lose though, Novak is the classiest man in the mens game, he applauds his opponents winners, plays the game with a smile, shows his emotions, he just lacks those little niggly things that annoy me about Federer/Nadal/Murray.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
GAHH I KNOW. Amazing stuff. Can't deny it though, Murray knackered Djokovic out. I like history n **** so it would be nice to see Niskikori to win but I still want Federer to win.

Having said that Monfils has probably knackered Federer out so I can't see him winning tonight. Of course, that will mean we will have a brand new grand slam winner, neither have been in a slam final. It's all rather exciting!

Smithy

Strata Poster
Don't fancy Cilic winning the final let alone tonight, druggy, plus Federer/Nishikori would be great and I wouldn't care who won.

Guaranteed 4 different slam winners this year though.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Boo, Cilic played fantastically though, winning with three consecutive aces can't be bad.

Nishikori vs. Cilic. Should be a good final! I bet no one expected that.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Murray is currently trying to get into the ATP world tour finals in London in a couple of weeks. This has meant he has/will be playing 6 weeks solid tennis. He has won the Vienna title where he beat David Ferrer in the final, he was beaten the previous week by the aforementioned Ferrer in the third round of the Shanghai Masters.

He lost in the final of the China Open to world number one Novak Djokovic but also won the Shenzen Open title.

This week he is playing in the Valencia Open where he will be playing his second round match today.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I was talking about this to the missus today - I think it's a combination of wanting to play in the ATP World Tour Finals and also avoiding the fact his mum is embarrassing herself on a weekly basis on Strictly Come Dancing.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Over the moon Murray made it to the world tour finals. Not because I wanted him in the finals (let's be honest, he doesn't actually stand a chance) but the higher ranking will prove invaluable next season, he won't be facing the likes of Djokovic and Nadal in the quarters of the majors.