What's new

Tennis Topic

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
First match, lost, but he beat Raonic in his second match. He plays Federer tomorrow. I'm skeptical that he'll do it but he doesn't have an awful record against Federer so hopefully he can scrape a win!

Smithy

Strata Poster
Reckon Federer's got his number in truth, especially indoors. Novak Fed final with Novak winning easy, not lost indoors in 2 years.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I cannot stress how much I really really want Federer to finish world number one, but Novak is such a machine, I can't see it, Novak will win, but a Novak Federer final will be very enticing, I'll be able to watch the game on Sunday live at least as I'll be at my parent's and they have a TV licence :lol:

Smithy

Strata Poster
Haha called it.

Thing is Federer wasn't even that good, his first serve % was woeful (down around 36% when he was 6-0 up) just Murray couldn't get near him and his serve was diabolical. Think that's his biggest issue and why he's currently a million miles away from the top three, he has to fight too hard on his own serve.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Murray through to his first major final since Wimbledon 2013 after a (reasonably) convincing win in four sets over Tomas Berdych 6-7(6-8) 6-0 6-3 7-5. It's also his fourth Australian Open final and his eighth grand slam final over all. He'll face either Djokovic or Wawrinka in the final.

If he gets Djokovic he has a chance but I can't really see it, Murray has lost to him twice before in the Australian Open final but, having said that, Murray's opponent was Djokovic in the US Open final 2012 and the Wimbledon final 2013, both of which Murray won. Reigning Champion, Wawrinka would put up a good fight, but I reckon Murray could do that. Whatever happens, Wawrinka and Djokovic are gonna have a long, tough, late night match, and with Murray getting the extra day's rest that could prove vital.

Come on Andy!

Smithy

Strata Poster
I don't know I reckon Murray's going to win it this year.

Djokovic has been immense as he usually is at the Australian but I think Wawrinka is going to push him to 5 sets tomorrow and may even beat him. Murray's serve has been faultless for most of the tournament and his second serve is being protected well.

I'll temper that with both his final wins vs Djokovic have come off the back of Djokovic being knackered after grueling semi finals so hopefully history repeats itself.

Nah, he's gonna do it.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Well it went to 5 sets but Djokovic wasn't showing many signs of fatigue as he won the 5th with a bagel. I'll be gutted for Murray if, for the 4th time, 3rd against Djokovic, he can't do it but I still really can't see it.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Nah have the faith, he will.

Murray hasn't been this good or this consistent since 2012-2013. If Murray wins one of the the first two sets, which will be tight ones, then he's got a chance at outlasting him.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Personally I'd be quite happy for him to lose the first set, he tends to then play the next three sets excellently (take the match against Berdych as a prime example). Its when he wins the first set, he gets happy too quick and dies off, look at the Wimbledon Final 2012 vs. Federer, and even the US Open final 2012 when he won the first two sets vs. Djokovic but then fell asleep for the next two before walking up in the fifth.

Casio

Mega Poster
I agree with Smithy; I think Murray's got it. I haven't got to watch much of the tournament because of a pain-in-the-ass lecture schedule, but from what I've seen he's been tactically brilliant. I find the Murray vs. Djokovic matches quite dull in general, because they have similar games and usually one player plays a lot better than the other, but if Djokovic's semi is anything to go by, that player will be Murray.

It'd be awesome for him to have gone from no slams two and half years ago to having three out of the four of them.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Permission to say told you so? ;)

But I have to say Murray played some exceptional tennis and at the beginning of the third I genuinely thought he had it. Amazing stuff from both players, those first 2 maybe 3 sets were exceptional exceptional tennis.

Murray is back up to his old strength though. He'll win Wimbledon this year, I'm sure of it.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Those first two sets were at a level I haven't seen for some time. Djokovic didn't make an error for the first 20 minutes and Murray somehow took him to a tie break.

Back up to fourth in the world, dominated the best player in the world at his best for periods, can only do him the world of good going forward.

Casio

Mega Poster
Haha fair enough :lol: never a good idea to be optimistic with Murray. Very disappointing though; the first two sets were incredible aside from a very sloppy first set tie break. I didn't watch after that but it sounds as though Murray just melted away. Very promising for him though, I think.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
^To be fair, I'm usually the optimistic one ;) even when it is stupidly optimistic like when I said I could see him getting past Nadal in the French Open semis last year...yup.

I was taking a different angle on it, I thought if I'm negative, he'll play well, win and I'll be wrong, yay. But alas, that didn't come to fruition.

Plus I wouldn't have said his first set tiebreak was sloppy really, both played exceptional level tennis, Murray just folded slightly at that early stage. When he went up 2-0 in the third set I thought he'd done it but nope :p

Smithy

Strata Poster
Haha that's usually always my approach, especially when it comes to football which is why it was weird I was so confident he could win.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Somehow Murray has beaten Nadal on clay at the Madrid Open final. Murray had never won a clay tournament title and now he's one 2 in 7 days. Excellent stuff. Might have a little flutter on him to win the French Open.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I think Djokovic will do the career slam tbh. Murray was outstanding but Nadal was equally as poor.

Still, 2 clay court titles in a week, as he wrote on the camera, "marriage works".

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I want Djokovic to be spited because I'm not a huge fan :p

Murray was 8/1 on PaddyPower last night for French Open Men's Outright, so I used a free bet on it, hopefully it comes in but if not, I haven't really lost anything.

Then it's just the Australian and Murray will have the golden slam, wouldn't that be nice!