What's new

Nitro12345

Roller Poster
Hi everyone. New here, but have been enjoying posts for quite some time. I have a question regarding the headrests on Kingda Ka and other launch coasters, like TTD, Maverick, etc. On Stormrunner my head had to be held back, face facing the sky with the top of the headrest poking my head. Uncomfortable to say the least. I'm 6'2". However, I didn't have problems with the launch. I want to ride kingda ka, but am worried about my head being too high over the headrest, causing pain or injury. Any tall riders out there have any experiences like this? Any tips? Loved coasters as a kid. Just starting to branch out from my home park(Dorney) and having a blast. Thanks everyone!

Alex B

Mega Poster
Hi everyone. New here, but have been enjoying posts for quite some time. I have a question regarding the headrests on Kingda Ka and other launch coasters, like TTD, Maverick, etc. On Stormrunner my head had to be held back, face facing the sky with the top of the headrest poking my head. Uncomfortable to say the least. I'm 6'2". However, I didn't have problems with the launch. I want to ride kingda ka, but am worried about my head being too high over the headrest, causing pain or injury. Any tall riders out there have any experiences like this? Any tips? Loved coasters as a kid. Just starting to branch out from my home park(Dorney) and having a blast. Thanks everyone!

I’d continue to branch out, as a 6-7 year old dorney was my homepark and now it’s gadv even though I didn’t move from my current house I’d go to Gadv instead I recently revisited dorney and I thought the lineup had some Serious holes to fill like a launch coaster...If that comes you’ll get your chance to see i personally have no problem with headrest but I’m only 13 years old and 5’5 maybe 5’6 I feel like the headrest should work until your 6’6 so I’d give it a try but id take this with a grain of salt

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I have same problem. I'm about 6 foot and head is always above headrests on launch coasters. Lack of legroom often means I can't slouch either so have to place head above headrest, leaving head in uncomfortable position (rear skull bones resting on hard top of headrest). To counter this, I often get my head as far above the rest as possible, avoiding any direct bone-to-seat contact and rest more on head/neck transition point. Still not amazingly comfy but better than the alternative.

Any other tips from other people would be greatly appreciated by me as well.

Nitro12345

Roller Poster
I have same problem. I'm about 6 foot and head is always above headrests on launch coasters. Lack of legroom often means I can't slouch either so have to place head above headrest, leaving head in uncomfortable position (rear skull bones resting on hard top of headrest). To counter this, I often get my head as far above the rest as possible, avoiding any direct bone-to-seat contact and rest more on head/neck transition point. Still not amazingly comfy but better than the alternative.

Any other tips from other people would be greatly appreciated by me as well.
Nice to know I'm not the only one. I'll have to give that a try. Dont want neck injuries from KK or TTD. You'd think they could just extend the headrest another few inches.

Matt N

CF Legend
Welcome to the forum @Nitro12345! As a bit of an indicator, I haven't ridden KK or TTD, but I have ridden the likes of Rita and Stealth with the Intamin OTSRs on them; I'd personally advise sitting as straight as you possibly can so that your entire head is above the headrest, sort of like @Thekingin64 suggested. On a side note, one thing I will warn you about on coasters with the traditional Intamin OTSRs (e.g. Kingda Ka) is that they can be somewhat painful on the shoulders if you are above a certain height. My dad finds these restraints very painful, however he's around 6ft 6in, so quite a bit taller than yourself.

Sorry I can't offer any better advice, but I'm afraid I've never had first-hand experience of this myself, being around 5ft 9in-5ft 10in!

Nitro12345

Roller Poster
Welcome to the forum @Nitro12345! As a bit of an indicator, I haven't ridden KK or TTD, but I have ridden the likes of Rita and Stealth with the Intamin OTSRs on them; I'd personally advise sitting as straight as you possibly can so that your entire head is above the headrest, sort of like @Thekingin64 suggested. On a side note, one thing I will warn you about on coasters with the traditional Intamin OTSRs (e.g. Kingda Ka) is that they can be somewhat painful on the shoulders if you are above a certain height. My dad finds these restraints very painful, however he's around 6ft 6in, so quite a bit taller than yourself.

Sorry I can't offer any better advice, but I'm afraid I've never had first-hand experience of this myself, being around 5ft 9in-5ft 10in!
Thanks! I'll definitely give that a try on stormrunner before KK. Intamin OTSRs are definitely dig into my shoulder blades, but as soon as the train is dispatched, I forget all about it. Lol.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Hmm... my husband is 6ft5 and hasn't mentioned the headrest issue on Stealth/Rita/Red Force before... maybe if you're that bit taller it's more comfortable as your head is way above the rest rather than the back of it hitting half way up the rest?