What's new

Strongest roller coaster for airtime at Alton Towers?

Strongest roller coaster for airtime at Alton Towers?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Airtime is becoming an increasingly "in" thing on roller coasters, and with this in mind, many enthusiasts feel that an airtime-focused ride is something that Alton Towers, the UK's largest and joint most coaster-heavy theme park, currently lacks from its coaster selection. But I'd be really intrigued to know; of the park's current selection of roller coasters, which one do you feel is the strongest airtime machine?

Personally, I'd go with Wicker Man. While I don't think it has the strongest or most sustained individual pop of airtime in the park (strongest would go to Smiler or Rita, and most sustained would go to Oblivion), I think it has the most airtime and the most consistent airtime throughout the layout, and those pops are pretty strong, particularly in the back!

But which Towers coaster do you feel is the strongest for airtime?

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Rita has the most aggressive airtime
Oblivion best sustained
Gal most surprising, especially back row on a Scarefest slog

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
Though I haven't been to Alton, Wicker Man looks like the easy choice. I'm sure Oblivion's is powerful, but it lasts for 2-3 seconds at most.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
I would have said Smiler originally - I always get some pretty decent ejector on the two hills that go past the Marmaliser.
Then there is Oblivion and Rita as others have mentioned - not the kind of coasters you'd expect to get your 'typical' airtime on however they both have strong moments where you're out of your seat (this is restricted however by the OTRs.)

And then there's Wicker Man...I saw a lot of people say there's little-to-no airtime on this. However when I got on it for the first time a few years back, I was totally surprised. I could have just been lucky, but pretty much every row I sat in on it gave me a lot of airtime moments. Some were ejector, some floater - and the plus is that it was only with lap bars. For this reason, I can confidently say Wicker Man is the strongest.

Luca B

Mega Poster
Rita for sure, it has a great monent of strong, sustained floater, another solid floater moment and a great pop of ejector to conclude the ride. Behind that I would say smiler, and the second hill is probably the strongest moment in the park. I don’t really get why people are saying wicker man, it struggles to give airtime at all on its hills and at best it gives brief moments of incredibly weak floater.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Its a hard one cos they do not have a clear airtime focused ride.
Wickerman has probably the most 'airtime' moments, though it does vary by seat, and its some fun floater at best. Nothing too strong.

The Smiler has two good hills, though i'd say only the second hill is really the only hint of airtime. Oblivion has a BRILLIANT drop that gives airtime, its also very sustained, but it is one moment and it does have OTSR, but those restraints are much kinder than the new Dives.
Rita: Well Rita sucks- the one ride wish didn't have airtime as the airtime is so unbearably painful.

So i'd say Wickerman, but Oblivion has the best single airtime moment, though Alton Towers is not a park with much airtime to begin with..