What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
That Golden Horse swing launch is interesting. Its currently due to open soon at Sega Joypolis in Guangzhou.

49b3i0nr1zyfdatqvni3nd71.jpg
4hc5ejc2vx8pe8w2rfrn9kvdz.jpg

However its unusual because the way the train returns to the station it will be facing the opposite way to when it left. This won't matter to the ride experience because the cars spin so it doesn't matter which way round it faces.

However I imagine this could have some benefits for ride wear and tear. On any other coaster a car will navigate the track the same way everytime and if more stress is placed on one side of the train than the other then that side will wear down faster. In this case both sides should wear down evenly as they will alternate sides of the track. A small but interesting tidbit I thought.

Can't think of another ride where this is the case to be honest.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Can't think of another ride where this is the case to be honest.
Wasn't there some indoor family coaster thing that does something like this? I can't remember the specifics, but I think it was in one of @gavin's trip reports. Some kinda of indoor shuttle coaster that had an unusual connection to make it a full circuit or something. Or am I going insane?

(ps. maybe it was @HeartlineCoaster)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Wasn't there some indoor family coaster thing that does something like this? I can't remember the specifics, but I think it was in one of @gavin's trip reports. Some kinda of indoor shuttle coaster that had an unusual connection to make it a full circuit or something. Or am I going insane?

(ps. maybe it was @HeartlineCoaster)
Panic Coaster Back Daaan at Tokyo Dome?

It leaves forwards, arrives back at the station, takes the same track backwards and ends up in the station in the forward-facing position again. Some kind of switch track thing.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Ah yes. I did think about that when I wrote that post but I forgot it actually traverses the track the same way twice. In my mind it went back along the track in reverse. I take it back there are indeed 2 such rides.

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
Not exactly a theme park, and it is a flat ride, but the US Space and Rocket Center's classic Space Shot ride has just reopened after down for a year for Covid and another month for a sticky fill valve. Ran great, and feels smoother then ever.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Seems a ferris wheel in Fujian, China has collapsed during construction. There are plenty of videos for those willing too look although at least one I've seen seems to show someone falling from the structure so I won't be posting them here.

Seems the reason for the collapse is currently unknown but it seems the final piece of the outside ring was being or had just been placed. The cars for the ride were yet to be attached.

download (28).jpegdownload (27).jpeg

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Well that's clearly not how to build a Ferris wheel. On the topic of Ferris wheels though, the world's largest is just a couple of weeks off opening in Dubai.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Seems a ferris wheel in Fujian, China has collapsed during construction. There are plenty of videos for those willing too look although at least one I've seen seems to show someone falling from the structure so I won't be posting them here.

Seems the reason for the collapse is currently unknown but it seems the final piece of the outside ring was being or had just been placed. The cars for the ride were yet to be attached.

View attachment 13806View attachment 13807

It appears that, in the 55 minutes since you posted this, all of the videos bar the ones showing the aftermath have been taken down: I searched and couldn't find any showing the actual collapse. No casualties reported, however, so if a person did fall off, he survived.

EDIT: Was it, perhaps, this?
Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 16-17-00 Terrifying scene as Ferris wheel collapses while under const...png

Last edited:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
It appears that, in the 55 minutes since you posted this, all of the videos bar the ones showing the aftermath have been taken down: I searched and couldn't find any showing the actual collapse. No casualties reported, however, so if a person did fall off, he survived.

EDIT: Was it, perhaps, this?
View attachment 13812
There's not many on English speaking media but they are all over the chinese based apps and sites I use to research coasters.

I've just uploaded this one which shows it from afar on a dash cam. Shows the whole structure just fold

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Tiny bit of news but Infusion is currently closed as it is having its lift motor replaced:-
246454756_7108005005891737_4328743408743009519_n.png

Really hope it won't sound any different because the iconic lift hill noise was legit the best thing about the ride.

EDIT:- It's back reopened today.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend

JoshC.

Strata Poster

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Drayton Manor has now confirmed that Pandemonium will be removed after the 2021 season has ended:
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/blog/last-chance-pandemonium/&h=AT2U1Fzt2v2AiM-ZJZWlc_o__2RffEGIMjOO3_mgSCmK549tPS04mENqTLjOVuMO3SK9KlO7YaLsxrg3RUr8vf6zN4TCOhpVtaUO7NYYneeI42lYUXjvE_fhXJ9YKkE&s=1
I wonder what “exciting developments” the park might be alluding to that will replace it?
I've heard talk in late-night Discord call that Drayton's gone with a 3-ride package from Zamperla, but we'll have to see about that