What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Well it most definitely is illegal to broadcast subliminal messages and sub-frequency, though I am not sure how a couple of films as you said Mark, could do it.

There was a thing with Tesco (I think it was them). Well, their radio station had an underlay of subliminal suggestions saying 'you need to buy this and that'. They got caught and were fined. They also did it with the Exorcist film. They took a single frame and replaced it with the words "I am feeling scared" and things like thate and that also played a part in its banning many years ago.

Mark

Strata Poster
That is just the point though Marc.

Those warnings will probably not be read, so when a customer complains they simple state: "You should of read the terms, conditions and warnings before joining the queue". (don't forget I see this kind of thing ALL the time!)

Naivety does not mean innocence.

Erol, I didn't mean subliminal messaging as in adverts and so on. I meant subliminal in the sense that people can't hear it directly. I guess that was poor word choice on my part. I should have used the word Rob did. Inaudible.

marc

CF Legend
Yes I know, am just saying though that people do not read.

Erol, it will not be a message its meant to be a sound that triggers you to feel scared. If there is no message then its not illegal.

Mark

Strata Poster
Yeah, I know, but what I am getting at is that the fact they (the guests) don't read wont make the blindest bit of notice to the way they operate unless it causes someone to actually get hurt.

It was the same with Nemesis. They have that sign saying something along the lines of "unless you are totally sure you wish to ride do not join the queue etc etc". I presume they still have it, but can't guarantee it.

If you were fool enough to ignore the sign and then get ratty because it scared the granny out of you: Morefool you!

marc

CF Legend
I am not going against what you are saying.

I do it all the time, see a sign saying dont ride this if you have neck and back problems but ignore that sign :)

People will complain but the park can say there was a sign. They just need to be careful they dont make the station to scary and I am sure they wont.

Mark

Strata Poster
Providing they give what is classed as "adequate" warning they can make it however scary they like. The way they see it, if the terms and conditions state it, it doesnt matter how many complain. They have covered their arse.

Its the same with the condition of entry at MT's. Under 16s are not allowed in unless with an adult. We get complaints by loads of people after we turn said under 16s away. These people say "it doesn't say that anywhere on the website", to which we say "yes it does, in the terms and conditions in which you agreed to when you finalised your order for tickets." There is a tick box to say that you have read them and agree. If they didn't actually read them but ticked the box whose foul is that?

Same with fright nights. They actually recommend that under 12's do not attend the fright night events as it might be too much for them... How many people take under 12s... I certainly saw enough of them at GF

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
southend_marc said:

Erol, it will not be a message its meant to be a sound that triggers you to feel scared. If there is no message then its not illegal.

A frequency is still a subconscious message so it is still illegal to broadcast.

Mark

Strata Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
southend_marc said:

A frequency is still a subconscious message so it is still illegal to broadcast.

Well as Rob has said. A NEAR inaudible frequency has been used in films. (17Hz I believe he said) So there must be a way around it. That way around it is probably the word "NEAR"-inaudible. :p

marc

CF Legend
I looked it up and I really can not be bothered to look it up again to post the link.

As long as it contains no words its legal, its been used in the Saw films, Jaws, The Others, The Grudge and many others. As long as there is a warning and no form of code or words its legal.

Erol please provide the link where it says they are illgeal, as I can find nothing to say they are. Thorpe or any other place would not do it if they were breaking the law!

Mark

Strata Poster
The totally inaudible sounds were banned. That shop that fitted a speaker to deter kids hanging around were told to remove it because European Human rights laws... but the is reffering to TOTALLY inaudible sounds.

We are now reffering to NEAR inaudible sounds. Which means they can be heard. Therefore, that law doesn't apply anyways.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Well I can't find anything either but 17hz is of an alpha frequency. It's usually used in the hypnosis world for mind control and going by that, it's illegal to broadcast the sub channel of it. I have software to recreate the alpha, beta and meta frequency, but I use it as a relaxation tool.

Mark

Strata Poster
One example of a movie using low frequency sound is Irreversible (2002). It was a french film and low frequency sound effects were used in the first 20/30 minutes of the film to create a state of disorientation and unease in the audience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irr%C3%A9versible (granted it is a wikipedia source....)

There is also an example of when they tested Infrasounds is here
http://www.spacedog.biz/Infrasonic/experiment.htm

Also there is this (quite large) document that details the pratical uses of Infrasound and so on. An interesting read albeit a bit tough to get through. (Not for the easily bored) http://www.ctbto.org/fileadmin/content/ ... sphere.pdf

I also found this
http://www.noiseresourceservice.org.uk/ ... ge0004.htm
with particular reference to this statement:
The term ‘infrasound’ is used for sound waves whose frequency is less than 20 cycles per second. (By comparison, the lowest note on a normal piano is about 27 cycles and middle C is about 256.) So this is extremely low in pitch, like a growling or rumbling. The term ‘infrasound’ is misleading and frequently misinterpreted as meaning ‘inaudible’. In fact frequencies as low as 1 cycle per second can be heard by a normal human ear if loud enough.

From all that, I would say that in some ways this "sound effect" system can be used within a theme park. There are definately laws governing it, (although I can't find any specifics, on this occasion google is no friend!) but there is equally exceptions to those laws.

If Thorpe Park were to use these effects it might put me off the ride completly! I mean, reading about how some people felt whilst watching Irreversible is a bit worrying. Intense nausea, fear and anxiety etc.....

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Erol's gone way overboard with the "subliminal messaging is illegal" thing. I'm not sure it is. I think some extreme examples are considered to be in violation of human rights, but subliminal messaging as a whole cannot be illegal primarally because you cannot avoid being subconsiously affected by ... er, life?

It is used everywhere, and other rides within the Merlin group even use it. Oblivion does it crudly, but it still does it.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Difference... Silent subliminal, not just a play on words and visuals which is merely based on suggestion...

Silent subliminal is TOTALLY and most DEFIANTLY illegal.
Go for a read dear joey.

Donkey.

Mark

Strata Poster
Erol by your own admission you couldnt find anything regarding the legalties on it, how is Joey supposed to lol.

I'll say this again though, for good measure. Even if SILENT is illegal. We aren't talking about totally SILENT. We are talking about NEAR INAUDIBLE, and as my last post on the previous page includes:

The term ‘infrasound’ is used for sound waves whose frequency is less than 20 cycles per second. (By comparison, the lowest note on a normal piano is about 27 cycles and middle C is about 256.) So this is extremely low in pitch, like a growling or rumbling. The term ‘infrasound’ is misleading and frequently misinterpreted as meaning ‘inaudible’. In fact frequencies as low as 1 cycle per second can be heard by a normal human ear if loud enough.

ie: If it is not totally silent, it is ok, because it wouldnt be classed as subliminal.

I also supplied plenty of reading material regarding infrasonic sounds and an example of when it has been used in film.

neo

Mega Poster
It’s looking good:

dscf1192bmp.jpg

http://sawtheride.com/blog/

spicy

Giga Poster
The railway is being re-tracked through the trees at the back as Saw goes straight through where the train used to go.

I am guessing themeing will be going full steam ahead now, this sounds promising.

the surrounding areas have been themed to look run-down to fit in with the derelict sawmill in which SAW - The Ride will be based.

Status
Not open for further replies.