What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^ People hated Maverick?

Always thought the ride itself looked impressive, and it certainly did Monday, but I'm still dissapointed with the theme...

marc

CF Legend
I do admit Saw did look good when I saw it on Monday, good in the way I like the colour and the corners and the size of it.

As I said before I dont have a problem with the theme etc or how it looks I have a problem with me, I just dont like the way Eurofighters run. Never know they could have made the trains better for this, shall see soon enough.

I just worry a bit that the ride does everything near the start and the 2nd half has nothing and thats what people will remember.

I always found it strange how people raved about how Baco looked and slated Mav, but for me I always thought Mav looked the better coaster.

neo

Mega Poster
They should have given this theme to X:\ No Way Out. Think about it, the ride is more realistically sized for a jigsaw project. There is great opportunity for a pre-show in that building. But most of all, they could have had a clever narrative. For instance, say jigsaw has kidnapped a detective and his challenge is to release the train of thrill seekers from deadly traps. That would have exponentially increased the realism and possibilities.

So you’re on the train, you stop on one of the many mid-course brake runs and jigsaw enlightens you to the fact that a timer is counting down until an incinerator is lit. Your train would happen to be placed in this incinerator and the detective has to burn his hand to disable the device. The possibilities are endless!

But no, Thorpe Park decided to make the unrealistic choice of creating an entirely new coaster, whilst leaving X:\ No Way Out to die of neglect. There is no way jigsaw could organise such a big layout, even if it was a disused mine or saw mill. It’s a bit insulting towards the franchise actually.

Those viral marketing videos have just added to the insult. We’re meant to believe that Jigsaw is alive, well and stealing blueprints for the ride, whilst leaving traps for the workers. It’s a bit pathetic in my opinion.

jacoaster

Roller Poster
neo said:
They should have given this theme to X:\ No Way Out. Think about it, the ride is more realistically sized for a jigsaw project. There is great opportunity for a pre-show in that building. But most of all, they could have had a clever narrative. For instance, say jigsaw has kidnapped a detective and his challenge is to release the train of thrill seekers from deadly traps. That would have exponentially increased the realism and possibilities.

So you’re on the train, you stop on one of the many mid-course brake runs and jigsaw enlightens you to the fact that a timer is counting down until an incinerator is lit. Your train would happen to be placed in this incinerator and the detective has to burn his hand to disable the device. The possibilities are endless!

But no, Thorpe Park decided to make the unrealistic choice of creating an entirely new coaster, whilst leaving X:\ No Way Out to die of neglect. There is no way jigsaw could organise such a big layout, even if it was a disused mine or saw mill. It’s a bit insulting towards the franchise actually.

Those viral marketing videos have just added to the insult. We’re meant to believe that Jigsaw is alive, well and stealing blueprints for the ride, whilst leaving traps for the workers. It’s a bit pathetic in my opinion.

I agree with everything you've said there. I was actually thinking the same thing about X:\No Way Out being better for a Saw theme.

I saw the first two films the other day... I thought the first was okay, the second was crap. I don't know if it was just me, but I ended up feeling sorry for Jigsaw in the second film and hating the police guy. :?

Ollie

CF Legend
Yeah those lifts you walk through to get into the station could be used to great potential.
But I won't happen as X:NWO still gets queues up to an hour so Thorpe won't get rid of it for a while.

CoasterKing

Mega Poster
X:\ No Way Out deffinatley needs to go. Its poorly maintained and with the new direction the park seems to be taking I can't see an out of place coaster working anymore. I like the idea of a pre-show it sounds captivating. If they are themeing the ride on 'Saw' then they need to really work on effects, themeing and atmosphere. Its good enough throwing a few Saw posters here and there but that would be a substantial let down. Maybe they could use the X:\ building as Jigsaw's lair or something of that sort. The queue could start from the building and wrap around the park until you actually get to the station platform to the coaster.

Also with regards to Gerslaur Euro Fighters, I think they are ideal for places like Thorpe. Tussauds already used a massive backdrop budget investment with Stealth, so maybe a Euro Fighter isn't such a bad idea. The ride itself may be on the cheaper side of the coaster pond, however that leaves more money for themeing and thus will make the 'ride' better anyways. And from what we've seen of the ride so far it looks reasonably large. Enthusiasts might be shaking their head because they 'want' another B&M flyer or something, but remember its the general public who steer the industry. I doubt many people are going to tell the diffrence between a £12,000,000 B&M inverter and a £8,000,000 Euro Fighter. Its the quality of the ride people deal with. The ride has all the elements- speed, height, verticle drops, inversions, airtime and with a Saw theme its deffinatley going to appeal to many thrill seekers, will it not?

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
I think if this ride had been indoors it would have been all kinds of awesome.

Still I think the SAW theming could still work well in the indoor part of the ride.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

YEAH! Just like it's ludicrous that we're meant to believe that an alien erupted out of Alton's countryside! And that 50's/60's race cars can shoot 200ft in the air!

I wish they'd make some damn sense and theme a roller coaster to a roller coaster!

neo

Mega Poster
Joey said:
YEAH! Just like it's ludicrous that we're meant to believe that an alien erupted out of Alton's countryside! And that 50's/60's race cars can shoot 200ft in the air!

I wish they'd make some damn sense and theme a roller coaster to a roller coaster!

That is not my point at all. Because this ride is themed after a movie, there is a lot of expectation to meet regarding the story and feasibility of this ride. But as with every theme park, as a guest, I’m willing to suspend my disbelief, to a point. Thorpe Park is pushing that boundary with Saw: The Ride.

Jigsaw could never achieve that layout, even if it was a disused mine shaft or saw mill. Besides Jigsaw would never organise such a test on thrill seekers anyway, it has no relevance to his philosophy. The movie was intended to be realistic, with realistic traps and gore. This exaggeration in the ride is actually getting to the point of insult towards the franchise. Especially given how far they have gone in the viral marketing.

Saw: The Ride could have been done so much better.

However, I’m not completely against the ride.

Anyway, Thorpe Park is giving you the opportunity to saw off your foot! (Well virtually.)

Become a disciple:
http://www.sawtheride.com/

A

Anonymous

Theres a new developers diary blog post:
http://sawtheride.com/blog

100_0688.jpg

also the first new picture for several weeks.

You have to be 12 to enter the competition, I don't think it's necceceraly an age restriction on the ride, I'm sure the ride stealth first comp had an age restriction of 12 too??? :twisted:

also,
Sawing through a crappy flash animated leg to prove yourself :lol:
fail.

Martyn H

Hyper Poster
The station looks like it's coming along nicely, although it looks a bit on the cheap side :?

I've entered the competition, so fingers crossed with my email address, they'll pick me :lol:

nealbie

CF Legend
^Randomly drawn unfortunately me thinks :( I was hoping for the same thing with my coastery thorpe park type email address

Martyn H

Hyper Poster
^ That's a bit silly, having a 1.4m height restriction. Rage and Speed have 1.25m restrictions don't they, how silly.

As for that quiz, I got 10000ish, considering I've only ever seen 2 of them, I think I did quite well. lol

v That's the highest score, you should submit it.

jokerman

Giga Poster
I think that they'll be able to fit quite a lot into that building, even if it is mostly taken by a coaster. You'd be surprised how small most haunts and stuff are.

Ollie

CF Legend
Haha, Thorpe have given this a 1.4 meter height restriction. :lol:
Why, Thorpe why? Eurofighters can get away with 1.2m.

nealbie

CF Legend
Stealth.thorpe said:
That's the highest score, you should submit it.

Ooops, I thought the highest score was 19,000 so I didn't bother.

Curse my suckish reading :x

Half of them were guesses anyways so I don't deserve it

Status
Not open for further replies.