"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Ormerod said:
^ Even Heinz Beans: The ride ?

Yes... :roll:

My point is that if a new ride of any TYPE regardless of name, especially a coaster will draw more people into the park than previous years...

And the credit crunch has helped parks more than you may think...

Lofty

CF Legend
Lol, that heinz beans bit made lke lol, you certaily put your point acoss!

I kidna disagree though that SAW:The ride will bring people from everywhere just to ride it, I very highly doubt it, I mean like it will only do that if they advertise alot all over the place and not just ocne in a while like they did with stealth (comng from the north I mean)l.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Inversionperson said:
Ormerod said:
^ Even Heinz Beans: The ride ?

LMAO I have GOT to see that ride...

It would have to be an Intamin Pre-fab ;)

Erm, Benin, I disagree with you. I think that this ride WILL appeal further afield due to the name (and attachment to the franchise).

The Saw franchise is huge, and this is plugging directly into it. Okay, it's go diminishing returns, but Ben isn't the only Saw fanboy out there who'll be heading to the cinema to see the next two outings.

Those fanboys will see this and -not knowing anything about coasters or Thorpe or theming or disappointment related to those things- will head to see what the fuss is about. It's not going to be a bank breaking amount, but it WILL be more than just a new coaster installation.

And of course, no matter how much we all whinge, we'll all be there within the opening few weeks (and at least some time next year) to find out what all the fuss is about ;) :lol:

[edit] Yes, I have contradicted myself a little here. About 2456 pages back, I slated the idea as it will not introduce a new audience, and they're missing out on added custom.

I still stand by that, as Saw fans will come for the coaster, but they won't bring in a new demographic a family ride would. A family will return year in year out though, the Saw fans will bring fewer returns (especially once they've been disappointed ;) ).

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
furie said:
Erm, Benin, I disagree with you. I think that this ride WILL appeal further afield due to the name (and attachment to the franchise).

You missed my point furie...

My point is that even without the SAW name and theme this ride would bring in more visitors anyway....

I'm not saying anything bout it not bringing in more people, just that it would be likely for Thorpe's overall attendance to increase regardless...
It's a domino effect which I'd like to see at Chessie...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nemesis Inferno said:
furie said:

You missed my point furie...

My point is that even without the SAW name and theme this ride would bring in more visitors anyway....

And you missed Ollies point, which is that with the Saw name, it brings in those PLUS more. That's why I said appeal further afield - ie, beyond the usual extra numbers a new coaster would bring in :)

Nic

Strata Poster
I agree with what Furie said... they've shot themselves in the foot a bit with this. If they were aiming for a 'family' coaster, and wanted to take advantage of the lower height restriction, then they've failed by alienating younger kids with the horror theme. On the other hand, this could be a good indication that its bollocks about them trying to become a family park... which suits me nicely :)

Ormerod said:
Heinz Beans: The ride
I feel another bubbleworks re-theme coming on :D

marc

CF Legend
I dont think wanted to appeal to families with this though. I think with this they are aiming for the 15 years up. That's all I can think of.

For the GP they will love the coaster I think, but they will probably still prefer all the other coasters in the park (Fish and X not included). Rage is very popular with 10 - 13 year olds but these kids will probably to young for Saw.

nadroJ

CF Legend
southend marc said:
Rage is very popular with 10 - 13 year olds but these kids will probably to young for Saw.

I beg to differ, my little brother and his friends fits into that age category and their main priority at the moment is deciding whether to download Saw V and watch it on their computers or buy a pirated DVD of the film. They love all of the films, probably t do with the fact that they're not meant to see them. Just because kids are under the age of certification doesn't mean they won't like the film/franchise.

And besides, most 10-13 year olds I know don't decide their favourite rides going by the theme. =].

Inverse

Hyper Poster
SnooSnoo said:
Some would say calling a coaster "Matrix: The Ride" a perfect decision back in 1999.. but now?

I'm looking long term.. as this ride won't be demolished for some time. Yeah, immediate success.. more so because it is a new coaster.. not because of the name.

SnooSnoo is right, it may well be the biggest horror movie franchise ever, but it's no-where near the scale of Superman and Batman (etc) which go beyond films.

I see a name change sometime far into the future. Matrix the ride would feel very dated now, even if the ride still held up to modern standards. I feel that keeping the Saw name too far beyond it's trend will date the ride quicker than having a neutral name.

EDIT:
nicavecmini said:
I agree with what Furie said... they've shot themselves in the foot a bit with this. If they were aiming for a 'family' coaster, and wanted to take advantage of the lower height restriction, then they've failed by alienating younger kids with the horror theme. On the other hand, this could be a good indication that its bollocks about them trying to become a family park... which suits me nicely :)

I don't think Merlin are going for a family park feel, they've got chessington just down the road. Why create your own competition?

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Inverse said:
I don't think Merlin are going for a family park feel, they've got chessington just down the road. Why create your own competition?

To give something for the Preteens to do, like furie said earlier. Yeah thorpes all good for the thrill seekers and for the toddlers but theres not much good in between.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Saw > Horror movie > Popular

And the most important factor about the theme of Saw is that the movie and ride will attract the same target audience/guest.

I still am sceptical about the idea's Thorpe have for this ride, but there's no doubt that it's a headturner for the general public.
Look at what Infusion did for Pleasure Beach in '07 (it may not be a good ride but it piled in some crowds) , I think that it's clear to see how much of a positive impact this ride will have for Thorpe.

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Went to Thorpe today, had a good look at Saw.

Its alot smaller than i imagined! And also alot shorter. I had these thoughts that it was going to be very intimidating. But it just isnt. Maybe when all the themeing is up this will be a different story. But it just looks so small, tucked away in the back.

In terms of what i think the GP would think about it. Alot of families seemed interested in it, and wanting to "have a go".

Alot of work was being done on the station area today. But that was about it.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Once Thorpe knock the theme up to scratch I think it's going to look great.

I hope that there's a lot going on pre-ride, because if it's just a plain ride with no mention of a storyline, I think it's gonna be a little dissapointing.

Emmett

Giga Poster
^I hope so, I think there was a meet last year on opening day too.

I would guess there may be a press launch a few days before the main opening. Maybe on Friday the 13th of March.

spicy

Giga Poster
Joey said:
If Thorpe have any sense, they will get an advert for this into the cinemas on the ad reel for Saw 5.

Yeah without a doubt, probably only throughout the UK but they definitely will have an advert.

They had Stealth adverts in the cinema.

Status
Not open for further replies.