What's new

Raptor - B&M 'Wing-Rider' - Gardaland

Lofty

CF Legend
I know. They do look pretty strange. If it is that well themed (which it looks as though it is going to be because that's a photo that has been photoshopped in and not just an animation/graphic) then this must rank up high as B&M's most themed train. Alongside Hollywood Dream and Manta.

Trico

Roller Poster
16680917040504125651577.jpg

18031917040514125901577.jpg

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Fantastic theming there.

Few things to look at in those pics though, not just the tower. That tree behind the track is fake I think, I saw some pictures somewhere of them building it. Also notice the tunnel in between the corners with a walkway going under the inversion. Some nice pathway-interaction, I approve.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I can't wait for this, B&M track always looks so beastly and impressive, like it's really going to make you feel something. Yeahhh.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Nom. This gets better and better with every new photo.

Gardaland always do a pretty nice job with their theming, and this new thing is no different. I really liked the park 7 years ago, hope it's still as good in July.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Fantastic shots!

Can't wait to see some full coverage of this coaster.

On a side note, this layout constantly reminds me of Hydra at Dorney Park. If only Dorney would have held off and waited for the Wing Rider concept, I imagine it would be a much more popular ride!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Details about the story have been released...

After having unveiled the name one month ago, Gardaland reveals now the unusual characteristics of RAPTOR. Time to discover the spectacular features and the breathtaking atmospheres which, along with the technical might of the track, make this Rollercoaster something unprecedented for Italy!

The story narrates of an implacable predator, an unknown winged creature which, after having been woken up from its ancient sleep in the subsoil of Gardaland during the construction works for the new Rollercoaster, has started to devastate Earth in order to seek vengeance for the slight perpetrated by humans. It is ferocious, merciless, enormous, fast, powerful, invincible... It kidnaps anyone trying to tame it by dragging them into an extreme flight through enormous arid forests and devastated lands. To make the experience even more extreme there will a long series of obstacles which will be avoided only at the last second.

The starting point of RAPTOR will draw inspiration from a governmental industrial style research lab, located in the subsoil. The whole track will unravel in a setting devastated by the ferocious winged creature, in a surreal atmosphere, in an arid and deserted setting with swampy areas, destroyed forests, knocked down trees and rocks.

The convoy represents the unknown winged predator; the monstrous creature kidnaps those brave ones who, ignoring the severe warnings, dare challenging it. Kidnapped and dragged with no mercy along a terrifying flight and thrown through devastated lands they will be spared only to be able to recount their experience to others.

The train is made of a series of lateral seats, suspended mid-air on the wings of the creature. The Guest will hence feel a true sensation of extreme flight which will soon become “chilling” thanks to a number of obstacles, which he will have the impression of crashing against only to graze them at breathtaking speed, avoiding them only at the last second!

The terrible flight of the unknown winged creature is teeming with ruins such as watchtower about to crumble, a tree broken in half, a bride with protection barriers... remains of the untameable fury of RAPTOR. The insane run will continue with an extraordinary nebulisation effect, a waterfall programmed to stop upon passage, grazing pillars which, in some points, become out-and-out obstacles for the track.

The theming of RAPTOR was devised and carried out by the creative team of Merlin Studios in London, dealing with the needs, on a daily basis, of all Amusement Park of the Merlin Entertainments Group. Strongly involved ever since the first planning phases of the attraction, the team worked side by side with Gardaland’s managers.

Definitely a spectacular world the one of RAPTOR, capable of transforming the most imposing and extreme Winged Rollercoaster in Italy – made by the best and most qualified producer in the business, the Swiss firm B&M (Bolliger & Mabillard Inc.) – into an attraction which will be, for Italy, truly one of a kind.

gardalandraptorachillin.jpg

Source: Press release.

It sounds very much like Nemesis' story if you ask me! I like the idea of the waterfall. I'm really impressed by the way this has been marketed. From the start when they found the egg, to the balloon flight to the release of the full story. From a goon point of view, it's really nice to have a story behind a ride, it really makes it feel more like a work of art rather than just another ride. Can't wait to ride it in July!

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
'a bride with protection barriers...'
Italian weddings are something else!

Seriously though, I love a good backstory. Three cheers for Merlin, I just can't wait for the live ! :--D

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Along with Peppa Pig World at Paultons and seeing Lightwater's new area, I'm hoping this will be a 2011 highlight for me. I've seen the NL POV but I'm going to do my damn best to avoid a real POV until after I've ridden it.

I'm guessing that the "governmental industrial style research lab" will be the station.

The only small concern I do have is that the theme will not be developed for a few years, until the surrounds have had a chance to mature. If you look back the opening of Inferno and Air, the actual ride part was over muddy, barren land. It has only been in the last few seasons where the footprint area has had a chance to grow and feel part of the theme. Unless, of course, barren and muddy is the theme as "enormous arid forests and devastated lands" could imply.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
What a nice monster. If anybody try to tame it, it picks them up, takes them for a (safe) ride, and drops them off where it started. Is that a way to make them stop?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nadroJ said:
The blonde girl in the front row is my sister haha XD

What did she think of the ride???? Are the restraints really like that? Are they comfortable. OMG EXCLUSIVE EXCLUSIVE EXCLUSIVE!!!

;)