What's new

Rank your Ridden B&M Inverts

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Interesting list, @Hutch . I love that you have my dear old Nemesis as the best B&M ever. She was my all time number 1 coaster for over 20 years y'know, and I still rate her as the 2nd best B&M on Earth (nudged off the top by Shambhala about a year ago). I even call her "her", rather than "it". 🤣
Montu at number 2 is also a good shout.
But then you go and stick Banshee at the bottom. What's that about?? I loved Banshee, and would probably put it way up there just behind Montu.
I loved Raptor too, mainly because of that almighty roar. Can't believe you'd put N'Inferno above Raptor!
Still, overall a solid list. 👍

Hutch

Strata Poster
Interesting list, @Hutch . I love that you have my dear old Nemesis as the best B&M ever. She was my all time number 1 coaster for over 20 years y'know, and I still rate her as the 2nd best B&M on Earth (nudged off the top by Shambhala about a year ago). I even call her "her", rather than "it". 🤣
Montu at number 2 is also a good shout.
But then you go and stick Banshee at the bottom. What's that about?? I loved Banshee, and would probably put it way up there just behind Montu.
I loved Raptor too, mainly because of that almighty roar. Can't believe you'd put N'Inferno above Raptor!
Still, overall a solid list. 👍
My only worry about Nemesis nowadays is that I only had around 50 creds when I first rode it. I trust that it will ride that same once get back on again (I mean, she was running great at 20 years, what's another decade gonna do?). But with many more years of experience and creds since then, was it always as good as I remember? I think so. It helps that I had already ridden a few B&M inverts prior (Nemesis was my 6th I think), and it one of the first whore sessions I had, so it wasn't like it was a surprising one-off ride I had. But man, getting those back row rides on the very right were so good, and I remember exactly how the elements felt. The corkscrew, helix, and zero g combo is one of the best sequences ever.

Alton Towers is definitely gonna be a must visit for me whenever I get back to the UK (Thorpe Park can pass lol), but I have no idea when that'll be. Problem is, there are so many other European parks that hold priority (good problem to have though).

Banshee just runs like ass, man. Kings Island doesn't know how to maintain its B&Ms, so the ride just shakes its way through all the valleys (and I'm wondering if the bigger trains contribute to the rattle as well... hard to tell as its the only invert with those trains). But even the layout is a much different style than all the other inverts. All the inversions are way too big, so the whole ride lacks the snap or whip you get halfway through the inversions. I think my favorite elements are honestly the first drop and the final roll into the helix, but that's not really saying much.

Similar to Banshee, Raptor is held back by its smoothness. However it does ride better than Banshee and it has the intense inversions, so it's definitely a good step up. And I do like the cute little layout of Inferno. That's a nice smooth one but doesn't quite kick your ass like the good ones, hence its placement above Raptor, while still being quite low.

Last edited:

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
1. Nemesis
2. Montu
3. Katun
4. OzIris
5. Batman The Ride (SFMM)
6. Batman: Arkham Asylum (PWM)
7. Flight Deck (CGA)
8. Dueling Dragons
9. Black Mamba
10. Nemesis Inferno
11. Silver Bullet

And this summer I can hopefully add Monster @ Grona Lund to this list too.
After the stories I've heard about it, I think it will end in the top half.

Rock_N_RollBob

Roller Poster
Montu, Fire Side Dueling Dragons, Alpie, Raptor, Banshee, (The one @carowinds), Ice Side Dueling Dragons, BM Clones (4 I've ridden), Talon, Great Bear, Patriot? WOF? Forget it's official name - Once I get across the pond(s) it'll change. Haven't been to Knott's in quite a while, either.

Rush

Giga Poster
1. Alpengeist (2009)
2. Montu (2011)
3. Nemesis (2018)
4. Batman the Ride (SF Great America) (2019)
5. Black Mamba (2022)
6. Nemesis Inferno (2018)
7. Dueling Dragons: Fire (2011)
8. Dueling Dragons: Ice (2011)
9. Silver Bullet (2006)

I've put the year last ridden against each one as it's been a long time since I've ridden most of these. Alpengeist in particular doesn't seem to be as favourable due to the mid-course killing the second half which was still quite whippy for my rides. I still recall it gave a unique sense of speed by how massive it is which I don't find on the others. The cobra roll is insane too.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I've got 7 under my belt now. Pretty straightforward to order them really; also included their overall place in my Rankings...

Coaster​
ParkRank
Oz'IrisParc Asterix6
NemesisAlton Towers12
Black MambaPhantasialand19
Nemesis InfernoThorpe Park27
Batman The RideSix Flags Great Adventure31
Great BearHersheypark54
TalonDorney Park75

Think there's an obvious pattern of how the better landscaped / themed ones rank higher.

Indy

Hyper Poster
1. Nemesis
2. Black Mamba
3. Montu
4. Raptor
5. Banshee
6. Dragon Challenge - Chinese Fireball
7. Dragon Challenge - Hungarian Horntail
8. Goliath
9. Great White
10-15. Batman The Ride (all of the actual "Batman The Ride" badged clones... the San Antonio clones just run better)
16. Great White
17. Alpengeist
18. Talon
19. Afterburn
20. Silver Bullet
21. Patriot

Last edited:

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
1. Montu (2019)
2. Alpengeist (2019)
3. Banshee (2017)
4. Talon (2017)
5. Afterburn (2017)
6. Batman: The Ride — Six Flags Over Georgia (2018)
7. Great Bear (2018)
8. Batman: The Ride — Six Flags Over Texas (2018)
9. Raptor (2017
Time for an update...

1. Montu (2022)
2. Alpengeist (2021)
3. Banshee (2022)
4. Talon (2017)
5. Afterburn (2022)
6. Batman - Over Georgia (2018)
7. Great Bear (2021)
8. Batman - Great Adventure (2021)
9. Batman - Over Texas (2018)
10. Raptor (2017)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Status update:

New 1. Alpengeist - Busch Gardens Williamsburg - da fuq did I just ride? The placement, the theming, the MASSIVE expense of inversions across the first half are some of the most on-point roller coaster-ing out there. Stuff tamed down after the second half (advantage to Banshee for not having MCBR), but absolutely loved the g-force, speed, and especially night ride.
1. Montu - BGT - they just don't build them like they used to.
2. Alpengeist - Busch Gardens Williamsburg - da fuq did I just ride? The placement, the theming, the MASSIVE expense of inversions across the first half are some of the most on-point roller coaster-ing out there. Stuff tamed down after the second half (advantage to Banshee for not having MCBR), but absolutely loved the g-force, speed, and especially night ride.
3. Banshee - Kings Island - it's an original design with so much g-force. My only qualm is not very re-ride-able, but by far one of the better B&Ms of recent history.
4. Afterburn - Carowinds - Man, they don't make them like this any more! Smaller, but lots of tight, small inversions.
5. Raptor - Cedar Point - Come at me; this is one of the best ideas Cedar Point ever had. It still remains a forceful ride 24 27 years later; a lesser second half compared to today's standards is easily forgivable. It still has one of the best zero-g rolls and cobra rolls out there.
6. Great Bear - Hersheypark - And you said Raptor has a dwindling second half? This ride is very underrated for it's quirky layout - I still really enjoyed its flow of inversions!
7. Patriot - Worlds of Fun - It's a perfectly fun ride, but like Talon, doesn't offer an edge over other inverts.
8. Talon - Dorney Park - Great ride, very standard.
9. Batman the Ride - Six Flags Magic Mountain - It's blue.
10. Batman the Ride - Six Flags St. Louis - not blue.
11. Batman the Ride - Six Flags Over Georgia - blue again.
12. Batman the Ride - Six Flags Over Texas - yellow!
13. Chinese Fireball - Islands of Adventure - Better than the other half, but still feels like half a ride.
14. Hungarian Horntail - Islands of Adventure - Just felt... slow.
15. Silver Bullet - Knott’s Berry Farm - Honestly quite fun to ride, albeit more tame than other inverts.

andrus

Giga Poster
1. Katun
A giant beast of a coaster. Tall, fast and forcefull. Great theming too, and the landscaping with all the plantings is top notch! I really like #2 and #3 as well, but what puts Katun apart for me is the sheer size and speed.
2. Black Mamba
I'm a big fanboy. Both Katun and Black Mamba are in my top 10. And I really wanted to put Black Mamba at spot #1 due to it's incredible theming. It's a stellar ride too. But Katun's speed wins it for me.
3. Nemesis
A similar ride to Black Mamba and the "original". But Black Mamba is a more complete ride for me: better theming, better inversions and a longer layout. Nemesis is still bloody good though!
4. Oz'Iris
Yet again great ride (see a trend here?). Beautiful theming. Original layout. Great first drop, dive loop and zero g rolls. But all three aforementioned coaster are more powerful and has a greater sense of speed, which is why Oz'Iris "only" ranks in at the 4th spot.
5. Flight Deck
A very underrated coaster imo. The zero g roll above the entrance is very picturesque and the final turn over the lake has to be one of the greatest moments of any coaster. Rest is good too, but a little bit on the short side.
6. Batman the ride (all clones)
A mediocre first half is compensated with a brilliant latter half: fast, snappy and brutally intense.
7. Alpengeist
Disappointing first drop, but otherwise really good first half. The mcbr totally kills the momentum though.
8. Talon
Pretty good, fast close to the ground turns. But a dull setting and nothing out of the ordinary.
9. Nemesis Inferno
Pretty good little ride. But I can't remember much of the ride other than I liked it. OK I guess.
10. Great Bear
Now we're getting into the "bad" territory. I had a hard time deciding, but Great Bear at least has the setting going for it. Can't remember much of the layout other than that it rides along the river. But Great Bear is greatly overshadowed by the Intamin creations at the same park.

What can I say? All of the top entries are european. I guess Europe got lucky with their inverts! Although a lot of that comes down to the effort put down on theming and landscaping.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Another three years for an update, surely not.

1. Pyrenees
2. Nemesis
3. Black Mamba (elevated by fireworks)
4. Batman la Fuga
5. Monster
6. Montu
7. Afterburn
8. Flight Deck
9. Nemesis Inferno
10. Patriot
11. Great Bear
12. Alpengeist
13. Katun
14. Phaethon
15. 'Will I bother putting more Batmans here?' SFStL
16. Yes SFGAm

17. and SFMM
18. and SFoG
19. But it is getting a bit samey now SFGAdv
20. Oh, and a Raptor too
21. Silver Bullet
22. Talon
23. Diavlo
24. Banshee
25. Ozlris

Hutch

Strata Poster
Another three years for an update, surely not.

1. Pyrenees
2. Nemesis
4. Batman la Fuga
5. Monster
6. Montu
7. Afterburn
8. Flight Deck
9. Nemesis Inferno
10. Patriot
11. Great Bear
12. Alpengeist
13. Katun
14. Phaethon
15. 'Will I bother putting more Batmans here?' SFStL
16. Yes SFGAm

17. and SFMM
18. and SFoG
19. But it is getting a bit samey now SFGAdv
20. Oh, and a Raptor too
21. Silver Bullet
22. Talon
23. Diavlo
24. Banshee
25. Ozlris
Why OzIris bringing up the rear? I could see it either being really good or pretty mid, but it doesn't look BAD.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Why OzIris bringing up the rear? I could see it either being really good or pretty mid, but it doesn't look BAD.
I wouldnt call it bad, none of them are that, it's one of the most dependable ride types out there.
Ozlris boxed me in the ear straight out of the gate, rode rather poorly and I just didn't get on with it.
It was also at a very early time when I'd never even been disappointed by any B&M so that's always stuck with me.
Coincidentally reriding it again very soon so we'll see how this holds up!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
This is getting quite tricky now, I've ridden 20 of the bloomin' things over a span of the last 28 years, some of them I haven't been on since 2010, 2007 and in one case 2003! 😮
That makes the humble B&M invert my most ridden coaster model by a comfortable margin - nothing else has even gotten into double figures, not even worms, mice or SLC's.
Man... 28 years. Seems like only yesterday when a young, impressionable 20 year old me went to Alton Towers on the opening weekend of Nemesis. It's difficult to describe to anyone born after that time just how big a deal that was. B&M's are commonplace now, but can you imagine seeing, and more importantly hearing, a B&M roar around the track for the very first time? This was pre-internet days remember, pre RCDB - we literally had no idea that stuff like this was even possible, we simply had nothing to compare it to. Don't forget that up until that point, Alton's flagship roller coaster was still probably the Corkscrew! I mean, that's how big a leap forward this was. It was huge!
It's safe to say that I'm here now, ranking coasters with this community of geeks, because of that very day.
Anyway... new entries in bold.

1. Nemesis. Obvs.
2. Montu. Not ridden it in 15 years but I definitely remember it being awesome.
3. Banshee. I guess you either love or hate this one. I'm a lover!
4. Monster. The Swedish one. Brilliant it is. Great to see that B&M can still throw out a fun, fresh and action packed layout.
5. Raptor. Possibly the loudest of the lot. Absolutely love that roar!
6. Black Mamba. Yes. Very very good.
7. Patriot. Another one with a good roar, and an airtime hill too. 👍
8. Monster. The French one. It's Raptor, without the MCBR. What's not to love? Oh yes, the crappy park it lives in, that's what.
9, 10, 11, 12 and 13. The Batmen. I've grouped them all together to make it easier as there's really nothing between them. Good rides. I like 'em. For the record, I've been on the GAdv, GAm, SFMM, St Louis and PWM versions.
14 & 15. The Duelling Dragons. I was lucky enough to be able to marathon both sides of this back in the days when it was duelling properly. God that was good! But without the duelling? Meh.
16. Alpengeist. After discovering RCDB and learning what a B&M invert actually was, this was one of the first that captured my attention and became an absolute bucket list ride. Nemesis... but 200ft tall and twice as long?? 😮 OMG, yes please! I even had it as the screensaver on my PC. So, how was my ride, when I eventually got it? It was alright. First half is great but MCBR kills it stone dead.
17. Oz'Iris. Weird one, this. Not big enough to be fast and whooshy, not small enough to be whippy and forceful. A strange middle ground that is just... meh.
18. Nemesis: Inferno. S'alright. It was better when all the effects worked.
19. Silver Bullet. Decent size but decidedly unmemorable, probably marred by shoddy park operations and a bad mood on the day. Deserves another chance someday.
20. Flight Deck. Small and unmemorable.

Last edited:

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Coincidentally reriding it again very soon so we'll see how this holds up!
1. Pyrenees
2. Nemesis
4. Batman la Fuga
5. Monster (Walygator)
6. Montu
7. Afterburn
8. Flight Deck
9. Nemesis Inferno
10. Patriot
11. Ozlris (bump)
12. Great Bear