What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
The sound barrier is being extended along the back of the Maus au Chocolat building now.
20180929_230047.thumb.jpg.3b39d8ecb4b644c6fb7875a61ed044c7.jpg

Tobi has posted a screenshot of his model depicting the progress. In bottom left you can see behind the Fantasy facing wall the steel structure that has been erected around the lifthill (to eventually enclose it) along the back of Maus. The new wall is on top of this.
Eventually it will all come together and blend to form various Rookburgh buildings and facades. Really intrigued to see how this insane jigsaw looks when done.
screenshot-2018-09-29-19-56-20.thumb.png.3ec5ea799d2b958a0beed4a54de910e1.png

That wall along Maus will be visible from Kaiserplatz (the Berlin square) though so hopefully they manage to blend it together/theme it nicely so the view won't be ruined.

Then again it can hardly be worse than what it used to be... good riddance Race for Atlantis.
phantasialand-kaiserplatz-race-for-atlantis-620x350.jpg

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Nope, still not arsed about this. Every construction photo looks the same, it's just... stuff. Lots and lots of meaningless, random.... just stuff.

FFS - What. Is. It??

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm with @Howie in a sense; I kind of keep forgetting this is happening, and I have absolutely no idea where anything is with the project at the moment. Is every Phantasialand project this confusing, as I seem to remember Taron being a similar confusing mess of things right up until it opened?

Though as it's new Vekoma and Phantasialand together, I have faith in this to be truly world class!

Ethan

Strata Poster
I get where you're both coming from, but it's obviously going to take a while to make something this complex. I know it's probably boring if you're from the states and half of your coasters are on parking lots, but for some of us it's exciting ;)

But now the big cranes have moved, I imagine in the next few weeks we'll see the rest of the layout emerge, which means we'll have something to look at.

Matt N

CF Legend
^See? It's not just me. Good lad, Matt, I always knew you were the 'right sort'. ;)
I'm sure it will be amazing in the end, but right now all I'm thinking is; what's with that big-ass wall??
Thank you! I've got to admit that I love how Phantasialand is building a 60ft wall just to cover the area; that is dedication! Phantasialand really is one of those parks that I think I'd love if I were to visit; I love parks with lots of theming, which is why I love places like Alton, IOA and Animal Kingdom so much!
I get where you're both coming from, but it's obviously going to take a while to make something this complex. I know it's probably boring if you're from the states and half of your coasters are on parking lots, but for some of us it's exciting ;)

But now the big cranes have moved, I imagine in the next few weeks we'll see the rest of the layout emerge, which means we'll have something to look at.
Admittedly, I think that part of my confusion regarding the project is down to the fact that I likely won't be riding F.L.Y any time soon. I don't know whether this is true for any of you, but I tend to follow a project more excitedly if there's a chance I'll be riding it any time soon. For example, the 2018 projects I followed most were Wicker Man and Icon, without a doubt, and I also followed Mako and Cobra's Curse with a high amount of buzz because I knew I'd be riding them both in August 2016.

Also, I personally find a complex project like F.L.Y a bit harder to follow than something where all the details are known already simply because there's so much to know in order to be able to follow it, if you get what I mean. When the ride opens, this will probably work in the ride's favour, as I can imagine that Rookburgh will be quite a spectacle to look at when it opens! Klugheim looks stunning, so I have faith in Phantasialand to deliver here! Besides, many of the world's best themed areas were the same way during construction; look at Diagon Alley, for example! I must admit that I find a lot of Universal's Harry Potter projects quite hard to follow for the same reason, as they have quite a bit to them, if you get what I mean!

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
right now all I'm thinking is; what's with that big-ass wall??
The walls are the area's sound barriers (and once themed up they will also separate the themed areas there). Due to the park's restrictions and proximity to housing they need the area to be sound proofed otherwise they can't operate loud attractions - like a massive launched flying coaster for instance. A splash battle were you shoot targets on the lake was too loud for the residents (so much so it cannot be operated on Sundays or Public holidays) so I'd hate to think what they'd do over a coaster.
Same reason Taron has that massive rockwork backdrop. And the whole park in general is so built up.

Howie I can perfectly understand your stance. Yeah if you're not as far down the rabbit hole of obsessive fanboy like myself this is probably not very exciting to watch given the lack of a clear overview and sense of what is going on.
We'll call you when there's testing footage. ;)

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
The walls are the area's sound barriers (and once themed up they will also separate the themed areas there). Due to the park's restrictions and proximity to housing they need the area to be sound proofed otherwise they can't operate loud attractions - like a massive launched flying coaster for instance. A splash battle were you shoot targets on the lake was too loud for the residents (so much so it cannot be operated on Sundays or Public holidays) so I'd hate to think what they'd do over a coaster.
Same reason Taron has that massive rockwork backdrop. And the whole park in general is so built up.

Howie I can perfectly understand your stance. Yeah if you're not as far down the rabbit hole of obsessive fanboy like myself this is probably not very exciting to watch given the lack of a clear overview and sense of what is going on.
We'll call you when there's testing footage. ;)
Thanks for the clarification @CSLKennyNI! In that case, I'm surprised that Alton has never tried building any walls.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Probably because they also have the heigh restriction at Alton.

I think what Matt said about level of excitement and it's relation to whether you'll be riding the coaster in the near future is very true. I haven't been to Phantasialand since 2015 (before university) so I'm excited to return next year after what will be four years! Whereas when Six Flags announces things, I rarely care (mostly because their investments are dull to me anyway), but distance is definitely a factor.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Sorry, but i think the exitement factor for a coaster like this is 10 times higher. For every new action at the site huge speculationa turn up again and keeps everything alive.
Whereas for a known coaster its like "oh they delivered part X... I know its for inversion Y" and thats it.
The annoying part is my "egoism" because I want to ride the coaster asap and it should be finished asap...

Edit: i mean we just broke the 1000 posts mark on this thread :)

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I'm still intrigued for this, and I can't wait to ride, because I know that it's Phantasialand, and it's going to look phenomenal.

But I'm not excited for it yet. The construction is boring. You only get views of walls bring built and the odd obscure angle of track that asks more questions than it answers. It's like one of those performances where people paint something upside and you don't realise til the end what it is. It's a novelty, it interests you, but after 18 months, it is boring.

I'll be riding this when it opens. I'll probably end up booking a trip the moment opening day has been announced. I've followed construction since the first rumours. I rejoiced when Race for Atlantis was ripped to shreds. But, as I've said before in this thread, there's just no excitement with watching this construction, and there won't be til we get theming and the next stage of marketing.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
On the topic of really exciting walls ;)...

A picture from PhantaFriends taken from the Mondsee showing an overview of the walls they have built (I wonder if the Wuze will have to pay for it? :D)
IMG_2326.thumb.jpg.744e5dad8b66bdbf3ec16a8b474a3336.jpg

It will be a very dramatic change for the skyline.

Over on CoasterFriends.de user Mario M. has noticed that the aerial picture for Phantasialand has updated on Google Earth showing a more recent overview of the park.
The construction site as seen in April 2018 from above is now visible.
3.jpg

He has also overlayed onto the image a drawing of the currently installed track. Orange - launches, purple - lifthill, green station, light blue - brake run.
5.jpg

And comparison some older pictures of the site...
1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

Kalistos

Mega Poster
Could those walls make it a full indoor zone ? Would explain the "enjoy the experience by day and night". But I guess thoses walls are not strong enough to support a roof ?

Ethan

Strata Poster
I'm no construction expert, but I think you're right in saying they're not strong enough to support a roof that size. I imagine these are just sound walls like Klugheim has!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm no construction expert, but I think you're right in saying they're not strong enough to support a roof that size. I imagine these are just sound walls like Klugheim has!
Input from another under-qualified user, but I'm pretty sure you're right here. If you take a look at the size of those transfer beams on Europa's waterpark, you get an idea of how big those large span structures are. IF they were spanning a roof over the top of FLY they would almost certainly need some interstitial columns, which I don't think those theming structures we've seen so far are meant for.

These big walls always worry me from a wind loading perspective though, they always look like giant sails to me!

Flying Pilot

Mega Poster
The walls look massive indeed, but I do not worry too much. The walls of taron do fit the theme perfectly. And they are also huge.
This park has also a height restriction. The coaster can't be too tall and the walls can't be too low. Due the noise. So they have the least ideal situation for a park, space, height, noise problems. I am curious what they will do after this incredible project.

Last edited: