What's new

Opinions on the best European coaster, and why

Hypercoaster_fan_uk

Roller Poster
I'm curious to find out in the community what the general opinion /consensus of the best coaster in Europe is, and obviously everyone will have an opinion to share too.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Other potential candidates:
•Wildfire at Kolmården
•Shambhala at PortAventura World
•Des Schwur des Karnan at Hansa Park
•Expedition GeForce at Holiday Park
•Untamed at Walibi Holland
Yeah you're right - I changed my mind. It's Wildfire.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I'd say Nemesis, Helix and Taron are all up there. From my experience, they all have
1) A significant amount of people who highly rate them,
2) A proportionately small amount of people who dislike them (but understand why they're highly rated by others),
3) Very few people who don't understand why people like them.

Most other rides see a split of opinion in some way or another.

I guess you could throw Wildfire and Untamed into the mix too (though I've heard quite a few mixed-to-positive reviews of Wildfire, and I think it's too soon to properly gauge Untamed just yet).

Personally, I'd say that most people who have ridden them would either say Nemesis or Taron is their European number 1, so it's properly one of those ones.

Jared

Hyper Poster
For me it’s Wildfire. The sheer scale of that ride alongside the beautiful natural setting is just astonishing to me. It’s currently my number one coaster.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Shambhala/Taron.

But I've not yet done Wildfire- this looks like it could potentially be better than both... maybe...

Hypercoaster_fan_uk

Roller Poster
I did rate taron very highly when I rode in 2016, managed 3 or 4 runs back to back. I've yet to ride an RMC, with untamed being the closest to me. I do a holland /Germany trip every year so will have sampled untamed in a few months. Expedition ge force is a bucket list coaster, ever since playing rct3 as a kid and being able to have it in my park ?

Hypercoaster_fan_uk

Roller Poster
I'd say Nemesis, Helix and Taron are all up there. From my experience, they all have
2) A proportionately small amount of people who dislike them (but understand why they're highly rated by others),

I guess you could throw Wildfire and Untamed into the mix too (though I've heard quite a few mixed-to-positive reviews of Wildfire, and I think it's too soon to properly gauge Untamed just yet).

Personally, I'd say that most people who have ridden them would either say Nemesis or Taron is their European number 1, so it's properly one of those ones.
I really don't want to start a war but I have never seen the appeal of nemesis ? in 92 it was probably groundbreaking, but I find it very rough to ride and really not that fun. They tried to pack too much into too small a footprint, just like the smiler which I feel is like sitting in a washing machine on a spin cycle. Oziris at Parc asterix was a better b@m invert, ran much better and smoother than nemesis. Helix looks a brilliant ride and I'll have to fly out to get the credit

Hypercoaster_fan_uk

Roller Poster
Shambhala/Taron.

But I've not yet done Wildfire- this looks like it could potentially be better than both... maybe...
Wildfire does look amazing, as for shambala I haven't ridden myself, although a friend went last year and didn't really rate shambala, he said the layout was somewhat boring, and then proceeded to say he preferred silver star at europa park, we're going to portaventura in August so I'll find out for myself ?

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I really don't want to start a war but I have never seen the appeal of nemesis ? in 92 it was probably groundbreaking,
Actually I think the ground-breaking probably didn't start until 1993 :D

Also the mods will tell you if I don't - don't triple-post, you can reply to all comments in a single response :)

As for the topic, my current Euro Top 3 is Taron, Nemesis and Hyperion and as others said, the first two are pretty well agreed-upon as being among Europe's best. Hyperion probably hasn't been ridden by as many enthusiasts yet but it will certainly be up there. But then Zadra is coming along soon which will probably topple all others!

I haven't ridden Helix or Wildfire yet - I really need a trip to Sweden. :(

astead04

Roller Poster

Nemesis is my favourite roller coaster in the UK, but the reason why I didn't include it is because I think it's a bit too short compared to the other coasters I mentioned which had ride times which are much more satisfying. Apart from that, it is definitely the UK's best roller coaster and the best invert in Europe imo, but not among best European coasters overall for me.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Helix mate.
Does everything all the other rides mentioned do, but better and at the same time.

Just filtered my spreadsheet to Europe out of interest and they ain't stacking up very well these days. Only 2 made my most recent top 25 - Helix and Taron, with a few hovering just below - Icon, Wildfire and Kärnan.

The fact that Shambhala always comes up I don't really understand. It's not a bad ride by any means, but at a glance there's a good 50 things in Europe alone that I prefer. It may stand out in Europe for what it is, but on a global scale it's just another day at the office.

Nemesis and EGF I get. They do their thing very well and can hold their own on a global scale for their respective appeals.

Still some exciting things to come though.

Hypercoaster_fan_uk

Roller Poster
My bad on the triple posting haha, won't be doing it again ? . Icon is a good ride I think, but what does it actually want to be? Its not thrilling enough or tall enough to be anything more than a family launch coaster, however it does that very well. I wish bpb had invested in a ride more like helix. I still don't get the appeal of nemesis, if it was built on flat ground with the same layout nobody would rate it ?. It's not really tall or long enough to warrant the hype, I guess that's my unpopular opinion lol. Most of the coasters at alton towers are overhyped if you ask me, I've been countless times in the last few years and after the last visit I don't think I'll be going back any time soon ?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Helix, Nemesis and Untamed are my personal favourites at the moment.
I'd also consider Taron and Wildfire as perfectly acceptable answers to this question, as they're both excellent coasters.
Haven't ridden Shambhala yet, but I was very fond of Dragon Khan back in the day. Haven't ridden EGF either, but I must give a shout out to Goliath at Walibi Holland - love that ride.
I have a feeling that Zadra might be making its way into this conversation fairly soon though.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Wildfire does look amazing, as for shambala I haven't ridden myself, although a friend went last year and didn't really rate shambala, he said the layout was somewhat boring, and then proceeded to say he preferred silver star at europa park, we're going to portaventura in August so I'll find out for myself ?

In my opinion, Shambhala is faaaar superior to Silver Star, SS is still fab and the section towards the end is wonderful. However, the airtime on Shammy is wonderful and the intensity just right to be able to whore.

.Ac.

Mega Poster
Would say it between Taron, Untamed and Helix.

Saying that i yet to ride Helix, or likes of Hyperion and Wildfire.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
I have to say I'm LOVING this thread, just shows us how many awesome coasters we've had in Europe in the last 7-10 years or so with Taron, Helix, Hyperion, Wildfire, Shambhala, Untamed, Zadra etc...

astead04

Roller Poster
I really don't want to start a war but I have never seen the appeal of nemesis ? in 92 it was probably groundbreaking, but I find it very rough to ride and really not that fun. They tried to pack too much into too small a footprint, just like the smiler which I feel is like sitting in a washing machine on a spin cycle. Oziris at Parc asterix was a better b@m invert, ran much better and smoother than nemesis. Helix looks a brilliant ride and I'll have to fly out to get the credit
I'm sorry, but the fact that so much is put into a small space on coasters is actually a good thing, not a bad thing imo. It shows how much creativity a park has.