What's new

"Now Showing"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Slither is "interesting". Have you ever seen "The Serpent and the Rainbow" by the way? That's an excellent film in a similar vein.

I managed to finally watch The Woman in Black on Friday night with Madame_Furie. I thought [strike]Harr[/strike] Radcliffe did a pretty good job as a young man in a constant state of confusion and shock while others run around and help him until somebody needs something "brave" doing... No idea why he was cast in the part.

The film itself felt like a mix of The haunting (my favourite "ghost" film) and The Ring - with a little splash of Hammer chucked in for good measure. It had a few decent scenes, but it never quite got itself as tense as The Haunting's best scene and it felt encumbered by a heavy story that didn't make much sense other than to try and explain lots of "scare ideas". The ending was trite, but I'm glad [strike]Harr[/strike] Radcliffe got to stop being miserable and to finally be allowed to smile ;)

So yeah, a very strong sense of atmosphere that I can imagine being excellent in the cinema and generally all very good - well worth watching 8/10

nadroJ

CF Legend
Totally agree, no idea why they cast Potter in that role. Felt weird.

And no, haven't seen the Serpent an the Rainbow, researching now ;]

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

Had horrible expectations, friends said I would hate it because "I am such a cynic" and it was too predictable, but I enjoyed it for what it was. It was cast really well, Jim Carrey stole the movie, Steve Carrel was hilarious, and Olivia Wilde <3.

Man on Fire

Apparently I have no choice but to watch a string of Denzel films and this was the first on the list (I'd already seen Flight and John Q). I really enjoyed it even though I'm not into films like that usually. The storyline wasn't overly complicated and obviously some things were far-fetched, but it kept me entertained and interested and also had some pretty emotional scenes.

8/10

peep

CF Legend
Earlier in the week I saw The incredible Burt Wonderstone

Was really looking forward to this, I love the cast and I like magic and comedy. What could go wrong? Nothing really, but it didn't really do anything partically well either, it was a bit bland, predictable (thanks to the trailer) and it only had a few saving graces. The cast (as predicted) were great and the finale was brilliant so it all levels out to be a rather meh/watchable film.

Then I saw The Paperboy

I've been looking forward to seeing this since I saw the trailer. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, if anything it was so much more. The cast were phenomenal for all sorts of reasons. The story was unusual and different and it genuinely shocked me, there were lots of audible gasps in the audience during certain moments. Really recommend everyone checks it out.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The Croods

It started off a bit slow, but Dreamworks did it again! I loved it. Very cute, cast was awesome, and it was hilarious. Loved Betty White. Kids loved the sloth, and there was enough parts for adults to enjoy that you won't feel bad seeing it without kids.

Armageddon

I'm not a fan of sci-fi and all that jazz but this one was pretty good. I liked the first half better than the second, mostly because Owen Wilson dies halfway through and that was not a happy moment for me since I am in love with him. It wasn't overly confusing with a million story lines like I find a lot of science fiction or action films are, and it kept me entertained although it did get somewhat cheesy in places. It made me cry </3

7/10

RCF

Strata Poster
Watched Olympus Has Fallen today.

It was, ok. Just ok. It kept me entertained, the acting was decent, but it was too American-ized what with the usage of american flags and like, just very predictable in my opinion. The CGI was way too overdone mostly in the beginning of the movie. I understand it takes place in DC and there's not too much you can do filming wise in the White House and such, but it looked like an amateur filmmakers first project. I do applaud the effort, but it was a little much.

Another thing about it was its R rating. Personally, all it was was blood. Lots of it. Mostly head shots, stabbings, but honestly, I feel like it receiving an R rating was very much like, a marketing thing. I feel it was a very low R rating, in that it could've been PG-13. But I think that if it was PG-13 many people wouldn't take it as seriously and wouldn't bother to see it, hence the R rating.

It was entertaining, but just, ok.

6.5/10

tomahawk

Strata Poster
^I found it pretty entertaining actually. I mean it was ridiculous, but Jeremy Renner did good for what it was. And you can't complain about the blood if you like anything Tarantino does, since that all his movies are. This was just a little splat, while his are just gallons for a paper cut, and I know you like Tarantino movies Chris. It could've been PG-13 but in all honesty it was better that it was R. They could have made it MORE "adult" by adding things into it, but then people would complain it would be too long.

Anyone not from America will despise it though. That's pretty much a given.

Ben

CF Legend
I liked Oz The Great and Powerful, it wasn't amazing, but it was decent enough.

I LIVE for Mila Kunis in it, she's amazing. I mean,
you could see a mile off that either her or Rachel Weisz were going to be the Wicked Witch, but, I thought it would be Evanora, so I thought that was a cool twist

A decent 7/10 I'd say.

I also saw Stoker, which was OK. I don't think it was as dark as it thought it was, but, worth a watch. Another 7.

And I'll have to chime in that The Paperboy was awesome. Any film where Zac Efron spends a chunk of time in white tiny pants is a winner to me. And Nicole Kidman absolutely killed it, she hasn't been that good for about ten years.

RCF

Strata Poster
tomahawKSU said:
^I found it pretty entertaining actually. I mean it was ridiculous, but Jeremy Renner did good for what it was. And you can't complain about the blood if you like anything Tarantino does, since that all his movies are. This was just a little splat, while his are just gallons for a paper cut, and I know you like Tarantino movies Chris. It could've been PG-13 but in all honesty it was better that it was R. They could have made it MORE "adult" by adding things into it, but then people would complain it would be too long.

Anyone not from America will despise it though. That's pretty much a given.

Oh no it's not that I didn't like the blood, if it came across that way. I had no objection to it especially because I've seen worse (any Tarantino like you said), what I meant was, I didn't think it deserved the R rating for that blood really, like you said, I feel there should've been more to make it rated R, I feel there wasn't enough. I definitely wasn't like, upset by the blood or anything. I just felt like it wasn't R rated enough, almost as if they put in that much just so it could be rated R.

Ben

CF Legend
I saw Compliance tonight.

It was soooo good. Proper dark and gross, but, so well made. It really focuses on its subject, takes its time to do it properly, and it's just, wonderfully horrific.

Apart from Les Mis, it's probably my favorite film so far this year.

RCF

Strata Poster
On phone so can't really do too much but Zero Dark Thirty was fantastic. So glad I finally got to see it and it was well worth it. great movie.

10/10

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Spring Breakers

Saw it because one of the female leads was a girl I had a few classes with in high school, and I was bored, and I wish I didn't. Holy **** it was a load of garbage. At least 70% of the movie is generic scenery shots, or "partying shots", or girls topless or shaking their asses, with either **** music playing, James Franco saying spring break with other random words, followed by spring break several more times, or one of the girls rambling about finding themselves or some stupid **** like that. There's no real story, just them acting like sluts, making out with each other, getting naked, getting arrested, crying, getting drunk, naked, laughing, swearing, end of movie.

Yet this will somehow get a sequel I'm sure.

0/10

RCF

Strata Poster
tomahawKSU said:
There's no real story, just them acting like sluts, making out with each other, getting naked, getting arrested, crying, getting drunk, naked, laughing, swearing, end of movie.

Independence-Day-united-states-of-america-23406746-1920-1200.jpg

Anyway, Zero Dark Thirty

I loved this movie. I thought it was great. The acting was great, it felt real, not like just a movie. It had me gripped from scene to scene (even though there's not as much action or anything) but the interrogation scenes as well as the determination of Maya was well portrayed and it was just a top notch movie. I think it should have deserved more love at The Oscars, but then again it had great competition, simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

10/10

tomahawk

Strata Poster
See I thought Jessica Chastain was absolute ****. I don't understand why people made such a fuss over her, since I didn't see her as that convincing in that role. A coffee pot shows more emotion than her.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
G.i Joe Retaliation - looks pretty. Got some cool, funny moments. Not really memorable but it's got it's moments. Not particularly gripping but the ending sorta leaves me wanting to see more actually. A 5/10.