What's new

"Now Showing"

tomahawk

Strata Poster
GI Joe Retaliation

I was so happy that the biggest rumor about the delay wasn't true! Despite that (and the pointless besides in one scene 3D) it was much better than the original, but when Bruce Willis shows up, that's a given. It was still pretty much garbage.

6/10

Young Frankenstein

One of my all time favorites. My fiance had never seen it, we used the old VCR and watched it. Such a classic. Just everything about that movie is amazing.

peep

CF Legend
In the House

The new film from crazy French film-maker Francois Ozon. He made 8 women and Potiche. I love his films, so quirky and cool. This was no exception, very odd film that just gets more intriguing and compelling as it goes. I really recommend this film, very different and cool.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
peep said:
In the House

The new film from crazy French film-maker Francois Ozon. He made 8 women and Potiche. I love his films, so quirky and cool. This was no exception, very odd film that just gets more intriguing and compelling as it goes. I really recommend this film, very different and cool.

After those Orange adverts, never ever want to see that film...

TarinMaria

Mega Poster
Audition

Recently re-watched this, for the third time, with my dad. Now feel like I can write something decent about it. The basic plot line is: a man loses his wife, and years later, his son tells him to get back out there, he and his friend set up some auditions to find him a wife, he decides on a quiet, innocent ex dancer, who turns out to be a psycho. First off, the quality of the filming is quite poor, but that is expected with a (suspected) low budget cult film. On the other hand, the acting is superb, and although towards the end the story-line gets a little messy, it has a decent plot. Much like any Japanese 'horror' film, it does take a few watches to understand exactly what is going on, unless you have someone who has seen it and understood it to explain it. Especially when the plot starts to complicate. This is a very mature film, and much like Oldboy or Stoker, you need to have a certain level of maturity and understanding with films to truly understand the brilliance.

Slightly messy, very mature, but brilliant.
8/10

Stoker

*Spoiler Alert*

The first English spoken installment by director Chan-wook Park. And, honestly, not a bad start. Although it does not live up to the expectations many had, as he was responsible for the masterpiece Oldboy, it wasn't a bad film. Stoker is about a young girl who loses her father, his estranged brother moves in to help them out. He slowly corrupts her, and her mother (Nicole Kidman) starts to realise. The film had quite a disturbing air about it, and draws a lot of similarities with Oldboy. The director must like the theme of incest as it is hinted at throughout the entire film, and features hugely in Oldboy. It is very hard to understand if you haven't seen any of Chan--wook Park's previous films, so give Oldboy a watch before this. Well acted throughout, with some beautiful twists.

A director who makes films for film lovers. Definitely worth a watch after viewing Oldboy.
8/10

Marebito (A.K.A The Stranger From Afar)

A different type of Japanese horror, very fantastical with few characters and mostly a kind of internal monologue from the main character. Marebito is about a man who is searching for the fear he saw in a man's eyes as he killed himself. This search leads him underground into a sort of new world. He finds a naked, mute girl, who drinks blood. (She's a vampire, it only took the main character most of the film to realise that -.-) He takes her home and becomes a serial killer to feed her needs. This SOUNDS like it should be a fantastic film. But in reality, very little happens, and it is ridiculously confusing. The plot line kind of starts off as a line, and then muddles itself up and disappears into nothing. There was so much potential, which was lost by halfway through the film. A strong point of this film is the acting. Unfortunately decent acting doesn't make up for almost no plot. Just did not work.

Don't bother, watch Ju On or Shutter...
3/10

peep

CF Legend
^Yeah I've seen Oldboy and thought it was turd. However I liked Stoker.

Finally got round to watching Compliance

A very well made film about such a gross yet intriguing situation. Nothing can honestly prepare you for what the girl goes through and I think it's very thought-provoking. Just what would you do in that situation?

TarinMaria

Mega Poster
HUUUUUUUUUUUH, HOW? Oldboy was fab, never saw any of the twists coming, and I didn't have to watch it a million and one times to understand what was going on, unlike every other Japanese film ever...

Whilst I'm here

Dark Skies

Its Insidious, with aliens. Slightly better done as the aliens aren't shown fully right until the end... Shame that the plot twist was predictable and unimaginative... Acting was fairly decent from everyone, some really good scares and shock moments. Didn't take too long to get into things as well.

Good for people who aren't huge horror fans.
5/10

peep

CF Legend
It's been years since I watched it now, but it was heavily hyped everywhere as this amazing Asian film and I just didn't like it. That's pretty much it.

I've seen Dark Skies a couple of times now at work. Have you seen the trailer? I facepalmed so much when I saw it, I think the only thing not in the trailer is the 'twist'.

marc

CF Legend
Re: "Now Showing"

Watched Men in Black 3.

So much better than the 2nd one and the ends a bit sad.

No where near as bad as people said it was.

TarinMaria

Mega Poster
Horror films nowadays annoy me, the Americans refuse to make intelligent films, they would rather make copies of all the popular films, hope no one notices how similar they are, kill them, then kill them some more, and suckers like me still go to watch them hoping for something decent. Unlike most of the population who see them because 'they're well scary, init'. Or talk about how 'disturbing' The Human Centipede is, and make me facepalm until I break my nose.

peep

CF Legend
Seen a couple of new films. First is Spring Breakers.

Totally messed up and not in a good way. It felt really badly written/directed. It's only redeeming feature is James Franco being nuts.

G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Actually not as dreadful as I expected, a decent action popcorn flick.

Finding Nemo 3D

Love Nemo, such a great film. The new Toy Story short before it is amazing, probably my fav Pixar short <3

Jack the Giant Slayer

Once again, not as awful as anticipated. Was quite enjoyable, but something seen as a family film (12A rating over here) its very violent, that shocked me a little bit. The cast are amazing though and the special effects are mainly pretty impressive.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Just saw The Happening. Biggest pile of **** ever. Did make my family run round the house making wind noises and shouting 'beware the evil grass' though which was quite amusing.
Basically the trees in east coast USA start making a toxin that makes people kill themselves. Crappy plot, totally scientifically inaccurate, but worth it to see Mark Walburg having a conversion with a plastic tree!

Intricks

Strata Poster

So....I have no idea what I just witnessed, but I sat and watched Resident Evil: Retribution. The only thing about this movie that I liked is the end. Even then, I am confused as to what just happened as a Mutalisk flew at the screen to end the scene ;)

Overall, it ranks low. Decent action scenes, overuse of slow-mo to lenghten up the movie itself (moreso than 300) and just general 'dafuq?' overall.

I give it a 1/5.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re:

Mysterious Sue said:
Just saw The Happening. Biggest pile of **** ever. Did make my family run round the house making wind noises and shouting 'beware the evil grass' though which was quite amusing.
Basically the trees in east coast USA start making a toxin that makes people kill themselves. Crappy plot, totally scientifically inaccurate, but worth it to see Mark Walburg having a conversion with a plastic tree!

It's like the rest of M.Night.Shamalamadingdong's stuff. It's a lovely bit of direction, really atmospheric and you sit around waiting for the twist... Then discover that the twist is actually that film is turd and you'll be leaving the cinema disappointed.

The Happening did it in a really amusingly awful way though :lol:

MMF was ill on Friday/Saturday, so we've had some film days - including trying to catch up on the Ghibli films we've recorded as part of Film 4's series which is on at the moment.

Porco Rosso WTF? A pilot who is turned into a pig gets a girl to build him a plane, so he can go and get revenge on the guy who shot him down. They have a big shoot out and fight and the film ends. Well, there's a lot more to it than that obviously, but it's so completely odd and it's just not a common kind of "story". Great fun though :)

Arietta - A retelling of "The Borrowers". Brilliantly realised, exciting and ultimately really, really depressingly sad.
Nothing is resolved in any happy Disney kind of way. No magic happens, we never find out if the boy dies of heart disease, nobody gets the girl, they have to abandon their home and risk life and death in the future because of the mistake the girl has made

It's good, but it's one of those "I'm glad I've watched it, but I doubt I'll watch it again" kind of films.

Pom Poko. Another WTF? Raccoons who fight a war amongst each other have to join forces to fight the humans invading their territory instead. They do this by learning how to transform and play tricks to frighten the humans away. The most frightening thing is the fact the males all have bollocks dangling which they can extend for mats for people to sit on, or as parachutes to attack the humans (they then increase their size and use their nuts as weapons).

It's told as a kind of "diary" of events of the Pom Poko era of the raccoons and again, it's a really depressing ending. Nice family entertainment and very long for a cartoon (about 2 hours). The spirit mission towards the end is one of the most **** up acid trip nightmares you'll ever encounter.

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island It stars "The Rock", it's even worse than that makes it sound. MMF loved it, he's 7, he needs punching.

Mars Attacks I loved this when it was first released. It's like all Tim Burton films though and offers less exponentially each time you watch it. It's really dull, but MMF liked the way the mixed and matched the horses head on the the dog's body. Other than that, he also liked that it had Marty McFly in it.

Then one for me.... In Time It has Justin Timberlake in it.... It also has Cillian Murphy in it. They should cancel each other out, but there's too much Justin TImberlake. Beyond that, it's the kind of ridiculous and infeasible dystopian future fantasy film I tend to love.

There's a cure for old age so everyone can live forever. To stop the world from being over populated, everyone has 25 years and then they stop ageing, but you only get a year of life then left. Minutes are the currency of the future, so you work to get more hours added to your life. Food costs time, rent costs time, etc. etc.

The under classes work in factories essentially as slave labour for the upper classes (who live in "New Greenwich" - ahahaha) and are left to die in the streets when their time runs out while others live for centuries.

One of these "vampires" gives all his time (about 116) years to Timberlake for no readily apparent reason, who then (as we find out, though for no readily apparent reason) follows in his father's footsteps of trying to bring down the system... Not that we find out why or how he did that, or what happened to him. There's a lot of back story constantly referenced, but never filled out - it's quite tedious.

However, leave your brain at the door and you've got a half-arsed action film with Justin Timberlake at the helm. It's as bad as it sounds, but could be fun if you had a few people round and made a drinking game for each improbable action and plot device used (you'd need a lot of drink).

kimahri

CF Legend
Re: Re:

furie said:
The most frightening thing is the fact the males all have bollocks dangling which they can extend for mats for people to sit on, or as parachutes to attack the humans (they then increase their size and use their nuts as weapons).

Magic Tanuki Testicals!!!

I watched a couple Movies recently

The Goonies was yesterday, Same old same old. Still bloody love it. As well as HTTYD but that's already known. Also rewatched Disney's Nightmare Trip from 1985 Return to Oz, seriously Disney the **** was going on with you back then?

Prometheus was Kinda crap but intriguing, It looks like it was supposed to be a completely different movie but it kinda fell apart so they took the pieces and glued them together wrong... Oh well.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail. My god it's so **** stupid but it's like I'm designed around that stupid type of humor since it made me buy the box set for the Flying Circus

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Finally watched Senna last night as it's on free to stream with LoveFilm. Brilliant film and it covers the time period I watch Formula 1 most (I followed it off and on in the mid-later 80's and then every race 90-92 and then sporadic again until after Senna's death).

It was a brilliant insight into the period and the racing was so exciting - it took me right back. I know that part of the dullness of F1 now is due to the safety they've introduced since Senna, but man, they really did race and push the boundaries all the time on and off the track. Great film and great opportunity to relive the period. So sad though :(

nadroJ

CF Legend
I've just had a look at who directed Spring Breakers and it now makes SO much more sense and I think I love it XD