What's new

"Now Showing"

John91

Mega Poster
Just like Ollie, I also got Cloverfield on DVD. Just as awesome as in the cinema, only smaller. 9/10. 1 point knocked off due to the process of getting it. Tesco wouldn't let me have it as they thought I wasn't 15. Got it eventually though yay.

Snoo

The Legend
3 of the 5 people who watched it with me got a headache, along with a decent number of people who I talked to after at school.

You are just talking to a limited number of people. :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Cloverfield - one of those films you just have to watch to decide if you like it or not. I thought it was dull and cliched mild horror wrapped up in a new package. There were some great scenes actually, and the first attack section is superb. After twenty minutes or so though it goes rapidly into dullsville.

I think Sweeny Todd is one of those typical Tim Burton films. It's a style you either love or hate (much like Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride), but the people who love them REALLY love them, so it makes them seem even worse to those who don't, who were expecting something much, much better.

I watched The Number 23 last night. Jim Carrey does serious... Erm, I think that if you're thinking "Jim Carrey in a dark, psychological suspense film - I think not", then you've probably got a handle on the film already!

Even without a bad choice of lead, the film promised much more than it delivered. It was all a bit of a mix of styles, and it never quite got the hang of any of them. 2/5.

mrclam

Giga Poster
23 - Awful

Cloverfield .. If i look back and think about it now.. I'd say "awful"..

BUT at the time of watching it in the cinema my heart and pulse were racing throughout.. My adrenaline was pumping overtime.. and I *NEVER* normally get that normally through watching a movie...

Yes I can see looking back that i was probably crap and my adrenaline was in the wrong... But the fact is it happened while i was watching film.. so it wins browny points for that.

STILL not as good as "the cube" though.. Which got my adrenaline pumping AND gave me nightmares for a few days after watching it.

There were some great scenes actually, and the first attack section is superb. After twenty minutes or so though it goes rapidly into dullsville

Furie hit the nail on the head with Cloverfield pretty much. There were a few scenes here and there where I was thinking it was pretty cool but I think all of the hype made me think it was going to be something much better. I didn't like the ending but I guess that's to be expected with their homemade video camera thing.

STILL not as good as "the cube" though.. Which got my adrenaline pumping AND gave me nightmares for a few days after watching it.

The Cube wins for having a somewhat neat concept and some interesting deaths (especially the first death), but it LOSES completely when it comes to actors and actresses. They were horrific.

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
SnooSnoo said:
3 of the 5 people who watched it with me got a headache, along with a decent number of people who I talked to after at school.

You are just talking to a limited number of people. :)

I have about 1 friend who likes it everyone else I talked to including me, couldn't stand it.

Smelly said:
23 - Awful

Lol, I remember seeing it and I think I walked out of the theater it was so bad.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
Do people on here actually think that Cloverfield is one of the most generally disliked films of 2008?

It's done better than Indiana Jones in terms of popularity.

Anyway earlier, I finally managed to see Sin City.

It was awesome, I loved it. A fine cast too, including Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Jessica Alba, and Elijah Wood, which was a surprise to me. It's all in black and white (with the exception of blood and one other thing) which really adds to the film.

Now that I've seen this, I'm even more keen to see Pulp Fiction and Grindhouse.

9/10. Although I'm tempted to say 10/10. Just watch it basically :).

Snoo

The Legend
^Well the new Indiana Jones has to measure up to 3 damn good films in the past.. another reason the reviews have been lower.. and I agree.. its not the original and shouldn't have been made.

Cloverfield is pretty much a better Godzilla.. and it actually kinda unique for the type of movie.. only kinda tho.

nadroJ

CF Legend
You know what you should NEVER see......Paradise Lost. What a crock of ****.

I also saw the Rob Zombie version of Halloween which I thought was god with the way they gave Michael Myers such a bigger and well-rounded character with a good background, which in turn made the story make more sense. Not as scary as the original but definitely worth watching.

Also saw Hostel2 because yno, it had to be done. Complete gorefest as to be expected from Eli Roth. Pretty basic sort of copy of the plot from the first movie, except this time with more girls yet somehow less boobs.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Watched two films yeasterday. The first one was The Queen. I have a decent number of reasons to not like this film:
- I'm not British
- I'm too young to remember Diana
- I didn't vote for Blair (obviously)
- I'm not that interested in royals, especially not British royals
- We only watched that film because the film we planned to see doesn't get on DVD before September
- Watching that film was the only thing we did at school that day.
- It was boring.
Soo... a good ZZzzzzzzz... out of 10.

The other film was the good over-talked about Indy 4. It was good, though it was a lot of times in that film where he never would have survived. (4 guys with machine guns on two metres distance... OK, they were in motion, but you get my point).
I'll give it an eight. Too many obvious mistakes. I haven't watched the three other films either, so I'm not qualified to give it a really good score (according to a lot of you, I'm dead).

Almost

Hyper Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
and Not Another Teen Movie wasn't much better.

Yes it was.

You probably missed 75% of the spoofs anyway. That and Scary Movie are 10x better then Date movie, Meet the Spartans, etc.

peep

CF Legend
^^At least you gave Indy an 8. Spielberg adds 'mistakes' because thats what would happen in the sort of film/tv program that the Indy films are influenced by. It seems to get on a lot of peeps nerves, but peeps that get annoyed about it usually arn't fans or they don't know that they are placed in there as a homage to what gave Spielberg & co their inspiration.

Watched two films last night...

First up was Hannibal Rising. I love Silence of the lambs and Hannibal but I just wasn't impressed one bit about this film. I think it lacked something, can't quite think what. It probably didn't help that the DVD was playing up, maybe I'll give it another chance one day.

Then watched Omen (2006). I saw this on opening day at the cinema, didn't think it was amazing then, still don't. Its ok and I kinda like the Final Destination type stuff but nothing really stands out. The scary bits arn't scary and I think when its a horror film that means the film is a failure if it doesn't scare the audience. I think its still a watchable film overall. I can't compare it to the originals because I haven't seen them. Rating :2/5

EDIT: Almost is right about those spoofs. Peeps that think that Not another.. isn't funny haven't actually seen half the stuff it takes the piss out of so therefore won't actually find it funny. Scary Movie 1, 2 and 3 are good but obviously no where near the amazingness of Airplane!

A-Kid

Giga Poster
BOY_A_OBLIVION.png

New film comming soon, with Oblivion in the background?!

nadroJ

CF Legend
Is that a new film, because imdb.com tells me there was a film called Boy A out last year, something about an ex-con released from prison after serving a sentence for killing someone as a child. Sounds kool.

John91

Mega Poster
Lord of the Rings (all 3 as 1 film). I had nothing better to do yesterday so I watched all 3 films as 1. It really is something else. I used to be in to just the fight scenes when I was younger, but now I understand them properly, it really is an epic tale. Every thing about it is brilliant.
11/10 without a doubt.

Ollie

CF Legend
Johnny English

Haven't seen this film for a few years now and decided to watch it again.
Still hilariously funny and had me in stitches.

Still a strong 10/10. :p