What's new

"Now Showing"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I love 2001. I remember watching it when I was 8 or 9 and enjoying it, but was seriously WTF???

I watched it again when I was 13, and it made sense. I don't know if it was the fact that I'd had four or five years of the film eating away at me, and me trying to work it out, or what, but I just got it, and loved it even more. We talked about it in school the next day, and there was me and one lad (we'd never liked each other) who both started going on about how fantastic it was. Everyone else thought we were nutters, but we had a good ten minute in depth conversation about it. I never talked to the guy again! :lol:

I just love everything about it really. The direction, editing, music, atmosphere, head **** -iness - the works. It's just awesome, but it's a film you watch for artistic reasons rather than blatant entertainment :D

Bitter

Mega Poster
I love the fact that it looks amazing, even today. After 40 odd years the film still holds it's own with some of the sci-fi tripe that is jogged out today, and with no CGI at all.

I watched it... and sat in silence for a bit wondering what I had just seen, then proceeded to reading about it a bit to see what other people made of it. I've made sense of the story in my head sort of. Supposedly the 4 books explain it MUCH better, although they differ ever so slightly from the film. For example, the obelisk around Jupiter was meant to be around Saturn, but they couldn't make convincing looking rings, so they just changed it :lol:. I haven't read them, but they're on the list.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, it still holds up today, but I think that traditional film making with models and stunt men tends to hold up better than CGI anyway.

I've not read the books, so I don't really know much more about the story to be honest. I love the way the film makes sense in little chunks - then it throws in the obelisk and everything goes ape ;)

Then the last section with HAL (most of the film I guess?) is just pure sci-fi and wonderful - finally you think 'I'm getting to grips with this, it's just a typical sci-fi fil after all'. Then it ends, and you sit there for a bit slightly stunned and confused again trying to work out just what the hell happened across the entire film.

Great stuff (waits for Ben to come and tell us it's rubbish :lol: ).

Johnny

Hyper Poster
I watched two films over the past few days, both excellent.

Children of Men

Brilliant storyline and idea of the world in 2027 (well London really), and the events that occur during the survival of the only pregnant girl were interesting, particuarly the fact that they had to survive through a (civil?) war.

9/10.

Then just now, I watched Into the Wild.

I'd never seen a film like this before, and I was intrigued by the plot summary I'd seen, so I was interested to see what this would bring. I thought it was great, and slowly got better as the film progressed, and at the end I knew it was worth watching. Great performances all round, with a fascinating story.

8½/10.

peep

CF Legend
furie said:
Great stuff (waits for Ben to come and tell us it's rubbish :lol: ).

No need to wait for Ben, I'll tell you its rubbish instead :p Na, I think I just wasn't in the right mood when I sat and watched it after years of wanting to see it. Its probably better than I make it out to be but for a film to make me turn the TV off half way through it has to be bloomin' terrible. Like I say, I think I was just in an 'off' mood, needed to watch something entertaining rather than arty (I am into both). I will agree that from what I watched it is visually stunning and, tbh, looks even better than a lot of sci-fi films released within the last few years. Kubrick is a director that was able to make anything visually amazing and his talent for doing so really shines in 2001. Yeah, I am so going to have to watch it fully one day.

peep

CF Legend
Bitter said:
Speaking of Kubrick, A Clockwork Orange anyone?

One of the best movies ever made!!! Along with Dr Strangelove or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb :D

Bitter

Mega Poster
I still need to watch Dr Strangelove! I Sky+'d it a while back but never got the chance to watch it before leaving for Uni.

I've got a poster of Alex DeLarge in his classic menacing pose on my wall, I love it. I also went to a fancy dress party as him once, was awesome. Kubrick's one of the greatest directors ever, just a shame he wasn't more prolific like Spielberg and Lucas who positively churn out the films.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just watched Beetlejuice

I was told it was good. It was but I couldn't help but want more at the end as it seemed to end as it was getting good.
7/10

Ben

CF Legend
I've not even seen it Phil, lol. I watched The Shining, and since then have never had any sort of desire to watch another Kubrick film.

Um, I was going to watch Jackie Brown tonight, but didn't...

And the idea of a Battle Royale remake that I just read about makes me want to cry.

I have no other film news...

Oo, another Indiana Jones review, I bet everyone is pissing themselves with joy.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Not a huge Indiana Jones fan nor am I a fan of the type of genre that the film is, but it was actually pretty decent. The theatre isn't disgustingly overpriced because it's pretty small, so that was a good start. The movie itself was very similar to National Treasure 2, and I'm surprised nobody really picked up on that. I mean, with the golden city and a bunch of other small details. The skulls were kinda creepy though, haha.

I kind of want to see the other three original ones because I haven't seen them yet. I've only seen the Indiana Jones thing at MGM.

Yeah, so about 7/10

We got free movie passes too because the voices went out for like, ten-fifteen minutes.

You haven't lived.

Well, they aren't really my type of movie but I guess they could be pretty interesting. I wanna see the one where the dude gets chased by the big boulder, because the play of it was cool at MGM so I'm sure the movie is good too.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just found out that 3000 rats were specially bred for the film 'Indiana Jones and the last crusade'

And Tay. Marcus is right I'm afraid you haven't lived if you haven't seen the original three Indiana Jones films. If you liked this one the you will LOVE the others. Make sure you watch them in order though. ;)

Snoo

The Legend
Pan's Labyrinth

Saw it last night.. and.. well.. not what I thought it would be, but it was interesting.

7/10

Ollie

CF Legend
^Really? :?

I thought it was brilliant. You have to look at it in the right way and see that it's showing the emotions of the girl during the civil war.

Snoo

The Legend
I saw the emotions Ollie, I just thought it wouldn't be so much of the Captain and more of the Labyrinth.

Kinda disappointed me.

ryan462

Hyper Poster
I am seeing the new Indy this Saturday and if its anything like the show at mgm I will be happy.
I have seen the first Indy film but not the second or third

Pan's Labyrinth

Saw it last night.. and.. well.. not what I thought it would be, but it was interesting.

7/10

Whatt?! Pan's Labyrinth was amazing. There was so much emotion in that movie, and I dunno, I just thought it was very unique and well made. I did go into the movie expecting almost all of it to be fantasy, which it wasn't, but I still wasn't disappointed at all.

If you want more of the Labyrinth, Snoo, watch Jim Henson's Labyrinth. It's awesome.

And yes I'll probably watch the other three Indiana Jones movies, as I know people who have them, but are they as confusing as this one was?

Ollie

CF Legend
^No. The storyline is as clear as glass. (never used that saying before. :p )

The originals are SOOOO much better though. :D

Temple of Doom is my personal favourite.

But watch them in order which is...

Raiders of the lost ark
Temple of Doom
Last Crusade