What's new

"Now Showing"

Yes it was.

You probably missed 75% of the spoofs anyway. That and Scary Movie are 10x better then Date movie, Meet the Spartans, etc.

It's an opinion, and no I didn't miss spoofs. I may have a missed a few but I did understand a lot of them, and it still wasn't even that funny.

In my opinion, Scary Movies > All other spoof movies.

Then watched Omen (2006).

Never watched the new one, but the original was pretty good.

First up was Hannibal Rising. I love Silence of the lambs and Hannibal but I just wasn't impressed one bit about this film. I think it lacked something, can't quite think what. It probably didn't help that the DVD was playing up, maybe I'll give it another chance one day.

Most people didn't like that movie, but I did for some reason. The guy playing it is pretty good looking which kept me interested, and I thought the storyline wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^That film is quite good if you are not used to spoof movies. I liked it, at least.

My mom rented Simon Says last night, which is basically just your typical cheesy horror movie. I already had seen the rating on IMDB which was like a four or so, so my expectations were obviously not high, but oh my God this movie was awesome :p .

Okay, so it wasn't awesome as in "I'm going to buy it today" type of awesome, and it wasn't awesome in terms of horror movies, but it was pretty funny because of the fact that it's so ridiculous. Never have I seen a more unique killing (aside from maybe the chick getting shoved down the porta-potty in Sleepaway Camp) than the stoner getting like, stoned to death. Basically the guy just like, rolled a huge spliff, like literally it was huge, and made the guy like, smoke it and then he started spewing out blood and stuff. The rest of the killings were pretty amusing too.

2/10 for the horror factor, but 8/10 for the amusement factor.

My mom bought me a previously viewed Sweeney Todd so I'll be watching that in the next few days.

Ben

CF Legend
To be fair to Superhero Movie, it is supposed to be a lot better then Date Movie, Epic Movie etc.

And the trailer at least, is quite funny. Reminds me a lot of the humour in Scary Movie 3, which is like, hilarious.

peep

CF Legend
John91 said:
Lord of the Rings (all 3 as 1 film). I had nothing better to do yesterday so I watched all 3 films as 1. It really is something else. I used to be in to just the fight scenes when I was younger, but now I understand them properly, it really is an epic tale. Every thing about it is brilliant.
11/10 without a doubt.

I can't even bring myself to type a full argument as to why that comment is so wrong.

I really want to know how the smurfs movie is going to turn out, I used to love watching the cartoon series as a kid but I can see this destroying all good memories of it. Hmm, time will tell, its still early days.

Oh, btw, after seeing this new ad for Wall.E I can safely say that this film is going to be mega awesome. You can watch it HERE

David

Mega Poster
Two films to write about:

Last night I watched This is England as it was on the telly and I had nothing else to do. It was quite a dark film really and was really quite disturbing in places. However I thought the acting was superb and the plot line was very well executed.

8/10

This evening I saw The Incredible Hulk. I cannot decide whether I like this or not. Some of the action sequences were well done, but really that is it. I found the plot a little hard to follow and the ending was total pants.

6/10

Ollie

CF Legend
Mr Bean the movie
Another film with Rowan Atkinson. :D

Even though it's quite an old film now it still makes me laugh.
I haven't seen it before but from watching it you can see the kinda humour that people found funny back then and makes you realise how much our tastes in humour develop and how hard it must be for the media industry to keep up with what's new.
Overall I'll give it 7/10, although it was funny in quite a few places I seemed to drag on a bit and by the end had forgotten most of what had happened at the start and had to be reminded while the credits rolled.
So yeah... 7/10

Slayed

Hyper Poster
You have to admit, the variation of opinion in here is impressive :lol:. Just to prove it:-

I watched The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, very high quality film but it's mind-numbingly (and bum-numbingly) slow. I've got some patience with films usually but this was ridiculous!

The photography is amazing - should have gotten the Oscar - and the acting is pretty good throughout. But since the originality of the film stems from the Robert Ford angle, his character is too inconsistent. and there's too much Jesse James. Only 6/10 for giving me severe bumache.

Oh, for the technically minded, there's a massive amount of detail on the VFX for this year's blockbusters here. Interesting that the Prince Caspian FX are predominantly British, and the Speed Racer stuff is extraordinary.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
Last night, I watched The Pianist.

For those who haven't heard of it, it stars Adrien Brody as a Polish pianist surviving in the Polish ghetto during WWII, and was directed by Roman Polanski.

I thought it was absolutely brilliant; one of the best films I've ever seen. Everything about it was just amazing. His whole story was fascinating, and the whole film was just stunning, keeping up the pace of it (i.e, there were no slow, boring parts).

If you like History and studying WWII, watch this. I myself have learnt loads more about it after watching it.

I haven't seen Chicago, but I can see why a lot of people were outraged when it won Best Picture over this at the Oscars. This is a pretty hard film to beat IMO.

10/10.

Ben

CF Legend
^Well, watch Chicago and see that it's clearly better then some crappy film about a piano :p.

I was SO happy when that won as many Oscars as it did. What made it even better was when Catherine got one and Renee didn't, mwhahaha. And it's actually a brilliant commentary on society, although the credit for that can obviously be given more to the show. And the direction and visuals of Chicago are probably the best you'll find in any modern movie-musical (apart from Sweeney Todd, but that's Burton, so of course it's going be gorgeous). And so is the acting, costume design, script, it's take on the whole idea of being a musical, the ability it had to totally revive musicals as a genre, etc.

So, not that I've seen The Pianist, lol, but Chicago was certainly a worthy Oscar winner.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^I'll go with that to a point - Chicago is a visual and aural feast, I loved it.

However The Pianist is a stunning film too - it meanders a little by the end (which Polanski films tend to), but it's a deep and affecting film which is fantastically well made. And it's the ONLY film I've ever seen where the entire audience stayed right through all of the credits - you didn't want to get up.

So on balance I'd have given the Best Picture Oscar to the Pianist, but CZJ can keep hers :p.

Snoo

The Legend
The Happening

Well.. better then the rest of M. Knight Likes it in the butt.. or whatever his name is.. but still not amazing.
7.5/10

The Happening

Well.. better then the rest of M. Knight Likes it in the butt.. or whatever his name is.. but still not amazing.
7.5/10

Haha, M. Night Shyamalan, I just actually sat down and tried to figure out how to say his name.

I'm going to see the Happening next week though so it better be good.

Ben

CF Legend
^UNBREAKABLE?!?!?!

That film was the worst film, ever. What the hell was it!?! It made no sense and the "twist" just made me think... "so I wasted my two hours on a LIE!?!"

Signs is great though, not a good "film", but it really scares me, so as horror, it works. In the cinema it was absolutely horrid.

And I'm watching Little Shop of Horrors now, which always makes me happy. I don't know why I do, but I LOVE Ellen Greene, she's awesome (I really need to start watching Pushing Daisies, Ellen and Kristin Chenoweth in one show, what more can a guy ask for?). And I love how theatrical it is with the random singing trio, but how it's also a "normal" film with it. Love it.

Ollie

CF Legend
I thought 'Signs' was amazing. :p
'The Village' was also good when I first saw it in the cinema but once you've seen it once it seems crap the second time round.
Saw the first half hour of 'Lady in the water' which was Okayish.

I like his ideas for the films though and always try and get to see them. :p

Edit:
Yes I thought Signs was amazing. :p
I was actually really scared watching it in the cinema (I saw it because the 12A rating came in) I had a nightmare that night, which had never happened because of a film before (apart from the re-make of house of wax).
So yeah, I found it very entertaining and there were quite a few OMG! moments when the whole cinema went silent before everyone screamed when an Alien appeared. Oh and that reminds me. Signs probably has the scariest looking Aliens in any film I've seen, and the fact that they can change colour and blend in with their environment was really exiting.
And the last sequence with the invasion and they're boarding up their house and everything was one of the most suspenseful scenes that actually got my pulse racing.
So yeah I absolutely loved Signs. Apart from all the **** about the water. :roll:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
^UNBREAKABLE?!?!?!

That film was the worst film, ever. What the hell was it!?! It made no sense and the "twist" just made me think... "so I wasted my two hours on a LIE!?!"

Signs is great though, not a good "film", but it really scares me, so as horror, it works. In the cinema it was absolutely horrid.

And I'm watching Little Shop of Horrors now, which always makes me happy. I don't know why I do, but I LOVE Ellen Greene, she's awesome (I really need to start watching Pushing Daisies, Ellen and Kristin Chenoweth in one show, what more can a guy ask for?). And I love how theatrical it is with the random singing trio, but how it's also a "normal" film with it. Love it.

Bop, bop and bop - lots of little gophers being hit squarly on heads!

Unbreakable was just bad... really bad. It wasn't even a great bit of direction - it was just dull and bland... Or was it bland and dull? I can't remember now.

Sixth Sense is a lovely film though. It's got some glorious direction and some bits give me a semi they so lovely :)

Little Shop Of Horrors is just superb. It loses it a bit towards the end, the flow goes to pot, but it's pretty spot on all told. It just starts exceptionally strong, but can't quite keep it up.

Amazing to think that it was a musical before Sweeny Todd - considering it's the exact same story! :)