What's new

"Now Showing"

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Spy

Actually saw this a week ago, but couldn't be arsed to write it up in here. I liked it a lot more than I was expecting to. I went in expecting to petty much hate it, but it actually made me laugh a few times and was overall a petty decent comedy. Rose Byrne was FAB as well, but Miranda Hart popping up unexpectedly was a cruel surprise. Fair play to her though, she managed to last more than 5 minutes on screen without falling over a hedge.

San Andreas

Decent for what it was, which is a big-budget disaster film. I can't remember the last one of these I bothered to watch to be honest. The story is, predictably, s**te and I felt they could have taken a bit of extra time to build up to the main action than they did; stuff starts collapsing and blowing up pretty much immediately without any real lead up. The "USA, USA, USA" ending was as cringeworthy as it was unnecessary.

On the way back from my trip, I watched Cinderella on the plane. I actually really enjoyed it. I didn't have high expectations since they can sometimes miss the mark when they go from cartoon to actual live people; however, it stayed true to the story for the most part, and I thought the casting was spot on. Not much else to say about it.

7.5/10

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
Been to see Mad Max and San Andreas this week.

Mad Max was infinitely better in my opinion but it really depends on if you want to see Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron operate an absolutely huge vehicle or if you want to see The Rock looking absolutely huge while operating many vehicles. It's a tough call

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story

A great horror film based off the web series Marble Hornets. Both the series and the movie are similar but the movie kept its own story. I geeked out when I saw the easter eggs that payed homage to the web series.

Mr. Woodwick talked about finding the camera at a garage sale which belonged to a guy named Jay. Jay is the main protagonist of the web series. Also, in the gas station when they were in Alabama, there was a poster saying a guy named Alex Kralie was missing. He was the antagonist of the web series.

Overall good film but the editing wasn't the best. If u ever plan on watching it, watch the web series on Youtube first.

8/10

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Entourage

Got to see this early and for free because bae's aunt gave her free tickets she got from The Sun.

Sure, it wasn't an amazing film but it could have been far, far worse! Ive never heard of the show but I could follow it fine and it was good fun! Lots of banter in LA, celebrity cameos and a few lol moments. No where near as bad as the likes of Hangover 3 or the horrifically awful Sex Tape (please destroy every dvd copy you come across). I would give it 3.5/5 stars, its not as bad as its metascore would suggest.

nealbie

CF Legend
Welcome to Jurassic World: where we play up to gender, racial and international stereotypes; provide you with plot holes aplenty and unhelpful staff members. All whilst delivering a highly entertaining and enjoyable mindless viewing spectacle.

6/10

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Jurassic World

Pretty much what I expected really, which was a predictable, ridiculous yet entertaining sequel that will never come close to matching the original.

I liked the various nods to the original film, but what this does is basically focus 99% on epic dinosaur attacks and misses out on a decent buildup and any kind of story or character development.

There's just no wow factor to be honest. I think it's mostly a case of us being so used to amazing CGI these days, that we're kind of desensitised to the whole idea of spectacle now.

I'm showing my age, but going to the cinema as a teenager to watch the first film, there were audible gasps from the whole audience as the dinosaurs were gradually revealed, partly because nothing like that had been seen before, and partly because there was an actual build-up to seeing them.

Now it's just, "Oh look there's another big dinosaur". The problem with this film lies in the fact that that's literally ALL it has going for it - dinosaurs going apes**t - and when the visuals don't hold the same awe these days since we're so used to seeing them, it doesn't leave a great deal else.

So yeah, it's entertaining, which is absolutely enough really if you know what you're getting. I just think that the franchise has completely lost its way since the original book/film, which were actually a lot more thoughtful and interesting and where the special effects enhanced an already interesting story. Now it's just all special effects and nothing else of any substance. There was a real sense of threat in the original. This just doesn't have it since you know exactly how it's all going to pan out.

nealbie

CF Legend
Joey said:
^ Did you ever see JP3? It's like you describe here but instead of being decent its literally a festering turd.

Other way round. World is of a higher quality than 3, but suffers similar problems, yes.

peep

CF Legend
Jurassic World

Saw this in IMAX the other day. It was excellent fun, the visuals were good and the action was great. I was totally sold just from the premise that the park actually opened to the public so maybe I was going to love it no matter what. It does have flaws but it's such an enjoyable ride it doesn't matter.

San Andreas

A well-executed disaster movie. The visuals were absolutely brilliant and I felt like the whole thing was directed really well. Really enjoyed it.

Spy

Was expecting to absolutely hate this after loathing Bridesmaids but was pleasantly surprised to find quite a fun film. There's a scene where an old Eurovision act is doing their thing though and that alone made it worth my time. I was totally the only one in the screening who knew who they were but I didn't care, I just sat their pissing myself at their existence in this film. The action was actually quite well done and overall it was fun.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Jurassic World

To say I was hyped was an understatement. This was my most anticipated of the year after seeing the initial trailer, and it didn't disappoint. Bryce Dallas Howard bugged me, mainly because she had no reason being cast in this movie besides for her dad, but that was my one negative.

I thought they did a great job creating an emotional tie to the raptors, I ended up caring more about them than any human. Sadly we will have to see another one with the record breaking performance because I thought the ending was perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Jurassic Park

Yes...the original, I'd never seen it and people have been going off at me for not seeing it and what with the release of Jurassic World, I bought myself the boxset.

I can see the hype and why it was such a massive thing 20 years ago...as it still is today. It's **** immense. I never realised it was as violent and in a way scary as it was, the tension really builds, loved the story. Great great film, an all time classic that I've finally got around to watching!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
^^Two years ago they had 20 anniversary showing in IMAX and I went on my wedding day because I had to see it on the big screen. So fantastic.

Inside Out

It's no secret I find Pixar extremely overrated, and the fact that for awards if it has the desk lamp in the beginning, it is guaranteed to win everything is quite annoying. Anyway, the film was much different than I expected. I enjoyed it for what it was, but it is far from how people are making it out to be. It's no Up or Toy Story or even Monsters Inc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

BBH

Giga Poster
Jurassic World

Decent enough. Bryce Dallas Howard('s body) definitely gained a few more fans as the film went on.

It was a fun, ridiculous, epic adventure movie that provided some good laughs and some good thrills. Certainly not bad, but doesn't hold a candle to the original.

Ted 2

Just as funny as the first! The characters are such lovable a-holes and though it's not an award winning storyline, it had a lot of laughs and emotional moments.

mcg0ughchris

Mega Poster
Jordanovichy I should write you out a list of movie classics that you've seriously missed out on

You should watch all of the following ASAP

Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Alien
Aliens
Terminator
T2 judgment day
Mad Max 2
Back to the Future
Ferris Buellars Day Off
Scarface
Die Hard