What's new

"Now Showing"

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Fury

I nearly shut it off in the first tank battle because it looked like **** Star Wars with the dramatized tracers. Shouldn't expect anything historically accurate when watching a Brad Pitt funded film, and this was no exception.

Kingsman

Saw this last night and truly enjoyed it. Great popcorn film and funny. I actually hope for a sequel of this.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
The Imitation Game

Due to high demand, they just decided to finally show it here. I thought there couldn't be a movie better than The Gran Budapest Hotel nominated for the Oscars. I was extremely mistaken. It was phenomenal! The story was brilliant, the acting was excellent, and the cinematography was great! Benedict Cumberbatch did excellent since he is great at playing astute characters. He deserves the Oscar. I love WWII related movies and this is a perfect example of why they are great.

9.5/10

peep

CF Legend
Love is strange

This is a film starring John Lithgow and Alfred Molina, both excellent actors, as a gay couple living in New York that finally get to marry after a very long relationship. The marriage triggers one of them to lose their job and sets the rest of the film in motion. The film is ok, it has some lovely moments and the way the character's around them change over the course of the film is interesting and real. However the film overall was far too slow and too many moments of nothing while some classical music played. Now, I like a nice piece of classical music but not when I'm watching a film and literally nothing else is happening. It was like it was wasting time to get the film to a certain run time. So overall it gets a rather meh reaction from me.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
tomahawk said:
Fury

I nearly shut it off in the first tank battle because it looked like **** Star Wars with the dramatized tracers. Shouldn't expect anything historically accurate when watching a Brad Pitt funded film, and this was no exception.
I realise these aren't the semi-automatic weapons they were using in the film, but these WW2-era guns are shooting tracers that look quite "Star Wars". (Good bit around 01:35)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9AwgIkSReI

EDIT: I'm not saying it's perfect, there were bits of the movie that were a little much, but then again it is a movie, so I'll give it a little slack.

peep

CF Legend
Cake

I had heard great things about Jennifer Aniston's performance in this and boy they weren't wrong, she was excellent, as was the rest of the cast. It's one of those films where the story sort of unravels as it goes along, maybe a bit too slow for a lot of people but overall it's a great film.

Blackhat

Terrible, terrible film. After about 30 minutes I was tempted to walk out. It wasn't just a bad script, it was just a really poorly made film. The dubbing was, at times, atrocious and sometimes the English subtitles were wrong (like, the hell?). It was almost like the film makers didn't watch their own film - maybe they were aware of how awful it was. Just avoid. It's not worth anyone's time.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Kingsman

It's just **** brilliant, one of the best films I've seen for years. It doesn't take itself seriously, it's hilarious at all the right points, excellent story and plot, exceptional fight scenes, brilliant acting quality, Colin Firth is amazing. Love the soundtrack too. You've gotta go see it.

I've been to see it twice now and would happily see it many more times yet. Excellent film.

My favourite scene is the head exploding scene. After all the intense fight scenes and drama build up, it is a welcome release. I also love the line from the princess, 'if you save world, we do it in asshole?' Amazing.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Gone Girl

I want that time back.

50 Shades of Grey

There are bad movies, there are good movies, there are decent movies. Then there are Michael Bay movies, Adam Sandler movies, critic jerk off movies (Wes Anderson and Tarantino) and then there is this steaming pile of rotting infested ebola AIDS harboring super gonorrhea garbage that is this movie.

I will say this, the director of photography worked tremendously with what he had. That's about it for good.

So you have a billionaire who needs to smack the **** out of people to get off and he chooses that "beauty" and I use that as loosely as possible as she is anything but. Then they stare at each other awkwardly for 2 hours and don't do ****, mumbling and staring. Then it ends. THANK GOD DID IT END! It's skinomax trying to pass as a big budget movie with C list actors as nobody with any talent would touch this with a 10 foot poll.

(My wife had been wanting to see it as she read the books, and being the good husband I sat through it, but when she was laughing at how horrible it was, it gave me permission to laugh as well. Utter trash.)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Jordanovichy said:
Kingsman

I also love the line from the princess, 'if you save world, we do it in asshole?' Amazing.

icon_datass.gif

It was a very fun and silly film, helped by the cast playing it utterly straight... Samuel L Jackson naturally did his best to walk away with it as well...

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
In response to all the "gunfire in Fury" talk on the previous page, I did watch it the other week and I thought the same thing. Good movie plot-wise, really intense, but the gunfire looked fake as ****.

Anyway...

Big Hero 6- 10/10
Definitely one of my favorite Disney movies. Saw it at the sketchy theater with my friend today and we both really enjoyed it. The funny bits were extremely funny (the whole "hairy baby" gag still has me laughing) but the serious bits were really sweet as well. A lot of it really resonated with me being an engineering student. The setting they animated for the film was beautiful as well.

Finally got around to watching The Grand Budapest Hotel since I realized it was on Netflix. I thought it was a pretty good film. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters, and though I didn't find it SPECTACULAR, I found myself enjoying it throughout. Had some moments of humour, good character development to the point where I cared about them, and relationships that were enjoyable to watch form between said characters. I liked the atmosphere as well. Storyline, like I said, wasn't outstanding by any means, but still a good watch.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Finally got around to see the LEGO Movie.

Many great jokes, great characters, great background events... and I shouldn't really have to say anything about the graphic work. Will watch again.

3/3.

(Yes, I believe a three-point scale is the best way to rate movies. Bad, mediocre, good. Simple as that.)

peep

CF Legend
Still Alice

A rather haunting film about someone living with early on-set alzheimer's disease. I thought the cast were great, especially Julianne Moore who is phenomenal in the lead role. The film gets (predictably) more depressing as time goes on but it's still a fantastic film.

Unfinished business

I loathe Vince Vaughn, the only good thing he was ever in was Delivery Man and that was based off another film (shot for shot remake by the same director). He's awful and yet somehow he manages to keep going on making more films. This time they managed to rope in some great actors and they all look like they're having the worst time (especially Tom Wilkinson who spends most of it just looking awkward and anxiously waiting for his next pay cheque). The film is really poorly written too and gives the good actors nothing decent to work with.

My screening actually cut out at one point and if I wasn't playing my day to a schedule of sorts I wouldn't have gone back in when it started to work again. It's just so bad (and not even in the fun way).

Lego Movie - Awesome-along

I went with a small group of CFers to an "Awesome-along" which was awesome. Two people in the audience who thought they were the 'chosen one' got to put their master builder skills to the test and with hilarious consequences. Obviously the film is awesome from start to finish. It really is a film where if you haven't seen it yet then you're things wrong.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Cinderella

Up until now, apart from Angelina Jolie's performance in Malificent, I've been pretty unimpressed with Disney's live action remakes, so almost didn't bother with this one. I loved it though.

Yes, it's sentimental and schmaltzy, but Disney have finally just kept things simple and told the proper story instead of f**king around with it and trying to be clever.

We all know the story, so in that respect there are no surprises; it's just been told really well.

The casting is mostly excellent. The lead actress, whose name I forget right now is excellent. Cate Blanchett is, predictably, flawless, as is Helena Bonham Carter in her small role.

It looks great. If it wasn't for the fact that it's been released at totally the wrong time, it would up for awards for costume.

Hopefully they'll stick with this style now instead of butchering stuff like they did with Alice in Wonderland.

peep

CF Legend
x+y

A really nice film which has such an excellent cast, all of whom are on top form. If you get a chance to see this then I really recommend it!

Big Hero 6

Took the Mother to see this for Mother's day. She really enjoyed it. I still love it. All is good.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Hot Tub Time Machine 2

Funny as ****. Not as good as original.

Business Trip

Little Franco was funny, could've used Owen Wilson as him and Vaughn have the magic touch.

Foxcatcher

Not what I expected, a bit depressing.

St. Vincent

Completely different than I expected. Was hoping for some laughs and got none of the such.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Kingsman

Wow. Just Wow. **** brilliant movie. It was funny and thrilling. The only downside was the effects which were meh. But SERIOUSLY, Go to your nearest movie theater right NOW and I promise, you'll enjoy every second of it.

8.5/10

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
tomahawk said:
Gone Girl

I want that time back.

Hot Tub Time Machine 2

Funny as **** Not as good as original

Your level of taste is absolutely appalling.

I've been meaning to rewatch some old classics for ages and ended up watching All About Eve last night. I must've seen it about 30 times, but probably not in the last ten years or so

It's still absolutely fantastic; one of the cleverest, wittiest scripts ever and acted brilliantly.

There are no car chases, explosions or hot tubs unfortunately, so it won't be to everyone's liking.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
^ Gone Girl was sold to me as a tremendous thriller that left you with a huge surprise about the whodunit but they tell you in the first half of the movie and its about a crazy bitch. It's all about expectations.

Hit tub I had minimal expectations and just wanted to laugh, it provided such.