What's new

"Now Showing"

John91

Mega Poster
I saw Hitman today, Excellent film to me. But i'm not hard to please. Violence, blood and russian boobs = great film lol

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Well, The Golden Compass...

Hmmmm... It wasn't a dreadful film, but it felt like they shoved 4 chapters into a quick exchange between two characters at the start of the film. It kind of bundled the back plot together in a package and chucked it at you. Then got on with the story.

It's only about 90 minutes in you realize just what all the two minutes at the start was all about, and how relevant it all was.

I'm certainly glad I'd not read the book - I could see how badly cut back it was anyway!

I preferred it to Narnia, and the Bears were superb.

I thought Ian Mckellen was excellent to be honest though Slayed :p It was a little bit "lord of the Rings bit part re-union" though on the lovie front! :lol:

Dave

CF Legend
Quick review as it was a **** film.

Duece Bigalo- European Gigolo.

Yeah it basically sucked, weak performances, weak jokes, weak script. No wonder it won so many Razzie Awards. It only made me laugh a few times, but thats about it.
Give it a 2/10. Can't believe my friend said "you'd might find it good"

peep

CF Legend
Slayed said:
I loved The Descent, yes the characters were whiny and annoying but the film was just great fun. Looking forward to his new one, Doomsday, it's nearly ready.

I've still not seen the Descent or Dog Soldiers for that matter. But I have seen a few clips of Doomsday :p :D - It looks stunning!

I'm not liking the reviews of the Golden compass, it was set up to be one amazing film, amazing effects, based on a best-selling novel and an all-star cast. Yet all I hear is dissapointment. An editor at my workplace loathed it, just said it wasn't really worth it. Meh, if I get time I might go see that this week or next weekend.

colossusdude07, Hitman looks turd, its meant to be turd (I don't think I saw a review for the film which was over 3 stars) and its based on a game (which usually means the film will be terrible). Considering you admit your easily pleased with violence and nudity I suppose your review makes sense.

Lain

Giga Poster
For anyone who cares, I saw Golden Compass the other day, and I thought it was pretty good. I haven't read the books or anything, and while it was obvious that some stuff had been chopped, the plot was still pretty easy to follow.

It was a fun enough way to spend a couple of hours and it could've been much, much worse.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
furie said:
I thought Ian Mckellen was excellent to be honest though Slayed :p It was a little bit "lord of the Rings bit part re-union" though on the lovie front! :lol:
Meh, McKellen wasn't first choice, the studio replaced the original voice actor, despite protests from the director, because they wanted a "name".

Doesn't work for me, but at least the luvvieness matches Ian McShane as the bear King!

Bad figures over the weekend in the US, $26 million. Having cost about $200 million to make, I don't see the sequels happening now. (Outside the US the figures are better, but it's the US market that counts to US studios).

I'll watch the extended version on DVD though! Wonder how much was cut out.

Snoo

The Legend
I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry.

Saw it last night.. loved it. Coulda predicted the ending from the start but still a pretty good movie.

Peter

Hyper Poster
I saw Golden Compass last Wednesday, when it was released.

I thought it was good, but not perfect. I'm quite a fan of the books and the film would have been alot better had it been drawn out longer, but New Line wanted a film in under 2 hours. The extended edition of the DVD is supposed to be about 2hr 30, which is an extra 40 minutes of footage (and all the cut scenes) which should be alot better.

I think it would have been made better had they used the original timeline from the books, and not mixed up the Svalbard and Bolvangar scenes. Although I understand why they did this (to have the big fight at the end) I still think that it would be better and more logical to keep them in the right order. It should also have had the original ending (i.e. the part where Asriel opens up the window into the parallel universe.), but this is being tagged onto the start of the second film, The Subtle Knife, should it get made.

The film has had a very poor opening in the US, but it has taken Europe by storm, having taken $3.1 Million from the UK in the opening 2 days (which I think is just behind LOTR, certaintly bigger than Narnia.) However, New Line sold off the foreign distribution rights before the release of the film, so will not make money from the European sales. Selling the foreign rights covered about 60% of the films budget, and taking into account outside investors and tax breaks, they are already covered for 70%-80% of the budget. It is almost definate that the film will be profitable for New Line, I just hope that its enough for the 2 sequals.

If not, they better put the proper ending on the DVD version of Golden Compass, since its already been filmed and only cut from the film at the last minute! :p

I preferred it to Narnia, and the Bears were superb.

Aw, Narnia was awesome! This has to be like, super awesome if it's better than Narnia.

I'm also rather disappointed with the crappy reviews I am seeing for the Golden Compass. I was intrigued when I first saw the advertisement for it, but now I'm just not really all too interested in seeing it, to be honest. I think I may just wait until it's released on DVD.

I watched the old version of The Omen, and it was pretty good. I got it in a two for ten dollar bargain bin at Wal Mart along with Not Another Teen Movie, and I was pretty pleased with my purchase. The plot was cool, some parts were pretty creepy, and overall it was just pretty good. Though, I didn't get the whole thing with the animal being in that grave! Anybody care to tell me?

I'd give it a [/b]7/10[/b]!

Not Another Teen Movie

Well, let's just say this was the final straw in making me think that the four Scary Movie movies are the only movies which can pull of spoofing and make it funny at the same time. Alright, so the movie wasn't terrible, but I didn't really find it that hilarious. I laughed a bit during the beginning, but throughout the middle I was like, man this isn't that good.

Ah well, 5/10 is a very fair rating.

Good thing the movie only cost five dollars though, and to be fair, it was way better than Date Movie (possibly the worst movie ever).

peep

CF Legend
^I think Not another teen movie is great, I think the more teen movies you've actually seen the funnier it is, but the birthday scene alone is hilarious (I won't go into detail because its a family-friendly website).

I do agree with you however on your comment about Date Movie, it is possibly the worst movie in the history of film, whoever allowed that film to be released should be sacked from the film industry.

^I think Not another teen movie is great, I think the more teen movies you've actually seen the funnier it is, but the birthday scene alone is hilarious (I won't go into detail because its a family-friendly website).

Yeah, I think that could've been my problem. Considering "Not Another Teen Movie" was released in '01, I didn't understand a lot of their spoofs, since most of the chick flicks I have seen were made after that movie came out.

However, Never Been Kissed and Breakfast Club were spoofed. At least I got those two, can't really remember the rest! Was the one Chinese kid suppose to be like Daniel on Karate Kid?

Oh yeah and good man for your thoughts on Date Movie. It's a piece of crap, no doubt about it. I think the beginning where the fat chick is dancing was the only part in which I laughed.

Ollie

CF Legend
Bee Movie
Another good attempt by Dreamworks.
But sadly doesnt have that little sparkle that makes a great family film.
It's not vey funny, and is more aimed towards little children who like to imagine.
It doesnt have much of a story and relies on charm to bring in the crowds to watch the film.
The film makes a good appearence of 'Sting' from 'The Police' in it. :D
The film gets an overall score of 4/10.

Tony

Hyper Poster
I have seen a few films this week:

1. Fred Clause - Only went to see this because I was going to the cinema and it was the only film on that time suited because I was working that evening. The film wasn't that funny and it was way to long for that sort of film which bored me. The 2 best things in the film were the free complimentary drink or popcorn refill which they gave us in a card and this fat guy looked exactly like Hurley from Lost :)

Anyways 5/10.

2. I watched Epic Movie on Tuesday night and it was so **** and not funny I just couldn't watch the 2nd half of it because it was that bad. My friend said it was good :? so I watched it and it was just completely stupid and not funny at all.

2/10

3. Went to see American Gangster today which was pretty good considering I'm not really into these sort of films.

8/10

I don't know if I should write about a musical in here, but I am, because there's nowhere else to write about it and it was far to amazing to not write a review on. Lion King blew me away, and even better, I went into it knowing it was going to be good, but came out of the theatre with my expectations exceeded. It was very, very well done. The costumes, the singing, just everything! 11/10.

Memphis Belle, well, I got to see the majority of it before my teacher decided to be an idiot and not let us watch the rest of it. It was pretty good though, one of the more enjoyable war movies we have watched in that class. Takes a while to get to the exciting parts, but overall, from what I've seen, I'd give it a 6.8/10.

Julius Caesar, hmm. We're reading the Shakespeare play of it in English, but the movie we're watching is quite dirt. It's one of those movies that you can tell were like, low budget and home made or something crap. It's so unrealistic, and I wish they'd make a new and good version of Julius because it has a lot of potential. 3/10 is pretty fair, though the play is way better.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
I saw Hot Fuzz the other day. It was a bit more gruesome then I expected for a supposed comedy, nor did it pick up for a long time. It was still entertaining, though, and Timothy Dalton is excellent (best James Bond). It didn't have the laughs I had expected, but still was funny for a fair amount of the time. Still, my #1 comedy goes to Airplane. 6/10

Also, I watched Kung-Pow again. While most of it really doesn't make any sense, it is certainly one of the funnier movies that I've seen. It was a plotline, but there's quite a lot of just random stuff in the middle that makes it great. It's certainly a very quoteable movie. A mindless comedy at best, but one of the better ones for sure. 8/10

nadroJ

CF Legend
I watched The Holiday yesterday and my god what a load of crap. Everyone I know who has seen it said it's really good. I just found it really annoying and too like Love Actually mixed with a Bridget Jones kind of thing. Just awful.
And I hate Cameron Diaz (she's in the movie I'm not just randomly ranting about ehr), whenver I hear her speak now it's like 'princess fiona princess fiona'.

Snoo

The Legend
I am Legend

Loved it. Fantastic movie IMO. Decent action, great story, surprises here and there.. overall.. 9/10.

I am Legend

Loved it. Fantastic movie IMO. Decent action, great story, surprises here and there.. overall.. 9/10.

Oo, I'm going to see that on Tuesday. Is it like, an action movie for the most part? I'm not a fan of action movies, so hopefully I'll like it! It does seem good though, and it has been getting fantastic reviews, so it does sound pretty promising.

2008 is gonna be an awesome year for movies for me though! "Confessions of a Shopaholic", "Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snoggings", and another "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" are coming out, and I can't wait!

Snoo

The Legend
^That 2nd paragraph is why no one can trust your opinion.. on ANYTHING.. :lol:

Nah.. there wasn't overbearing action. I got more scares then 'omg.. whoop some ass'. It told a good story IMO.