What's new

"Now Showing"

Dave

CF Legend
I watched Fight Club recently and just thought it was one of the most confusing movies ever and still had some potholes in it, an over-rated film in my opinion.

5/10

Natural Born Killers

What a fantastic film by Oliver Stone, loved it, it had action, comedy, romance and it was good! Not some random ****ty film where the sub-plots don't weave right. The quirky Tarantino feel to the film made it visually amazing. Great performances from Harrilson and Tommy Lee Jones.

9/10

peep

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Ok, that is just sad. I have to admit though that I have not seen the origional, if its on this christmas I might sit down and watch it.

How the hell is it sad? If you like a movie enough, you can watch it whenever you want. And you haven't even seen the original, so you can shush until you have!

If you like a movie enough, it's fine to watch it whenever you want.

Ok, maybe saying that it was sad was a bit far? I should have worded it differently. Obviously you are not like me when watching a film with a Christmas theme where if you watch it so many times or watch it during a different season it loses all of that magical christmas magic. I think that if you only watch Christmas films around Christmas it has a magical touch, seems better etc. Its not an easy thing for me to describe but I hope you make sense out of that.

Although thinking about it would you call Nightmare before Christmas a Christmas or Halloween film, or both?

On a different note, I may be going to see Beowulf in 3D this evening if I'm not held back too long at work.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Finally, finally, finally got around to watching Hot fuzz last night.

I much preferred it to Shaun of the Dead. It was better written, wittier and better paced. Excellent film and great fun.

Shaun of the Dead was like an extended episode of Spaced (not a bad thing), but Hot Fuzz came into it's own. I think it's also that parodies are much easier to make, so hot Fuzz shone more due to it's originality.

Film of the year for me so far I think :)

peep

CF Legend
^Glad you enjoyed Hot Fuzz Furie. Although you make it sound like it wasn't a parody when in actual fact it is. Although it could be seen as influences instead as they kinda pay homage to some of the best cop films including Point Break, Bad boys (1 & 2) and some other random films. I do agree though, one of the best British films for a long time.

Anyways, last night I went to see Beowulf, in 3D. I was very impressed with the animation and the story. It was entertaining yet wasn't anything 'special', even with the effect of 3D (although at times it did add a lot to the film, jumpy moments etc). Unfortunatly I think Zemekis (sp?) tried to over-use the jumpy moments that can come with 3D and you sensed that he maybe tried too hard.

The actors were good although they really should have stopped Winstone from saying the word "monster", he just couldn't say it with his character's accent, just sounded like a cokney geezer trying to sell something dodgy. Angelina Jolie though, her character is a big part of the story but we don't really see or hear much of her and then when we do, well, lets just say I'm very shocked that it got a 12a rating over here. Anyways Hannibal Lector as King is awesome, makes some of the scenes easier to watch.

Overall I think its a good enjoyable film, if you were considering taking an under 12 along, think again (not because of the gore, because of Jolie :p ). But yeah, it was fun but it will probably be a long time before I watch the film again.

Rating: 3.5/5 (I am becoming very hard to please :p )

Homer

Hyper Poster
Finally saw Rattatouille last night.

Another charming Pixar film with a sad beginning, a charming story, and a charming ending. Pixar does it again, Rattatouille is an excellent film. Patton Oswalt did a great acting job and I laughed at some of the physical comedy bits.

9/10

Yesterday I watched Apocalypto, which I always figured was going to be some stupid movie about the apocalypse, which much to my surprise, it wasn't. My aunt wanted me to watch it, so I did, and it was actually quite awesome! It had a good storyline, awesome cinematograpy, and a lot of gore and suspense as well.

8.5/10, I definitely recommend it!

Next, Swing Kids which I'm watching in History class. Can't give a full review just yet, but we're about an hour into the film and it's pretty dry. I mean, it doesn't have a great storyline. It's suppose to be just leading up to the second World War, but it's not really an enjoyable film at this point.

5/10 so far.

Ollie

CF Legend
peep said:
^Glad you enjoyed Hot Fuzz Furie. Although you make it sound like it wasn't a parody when in actual fact it is. Although it could be seen as influences instead as they kinda pay homage to some of the best cop films including Point Break, Bad boys (1 & 2) and some other random films. I do agree though, one of the best British films for a long time.

Anyways, last night I went to see Beowulf, in 3D. I was very impressed with the animation and the story. It was entertaining yet wasn't anything 'special', even with the effect of 3D (although at times it did add a lot to the film, jumpy moments etc). Unfortunatly I think Zemekis (sp?) tried to over-use the jumpy moments that can come with 3D and you sensed that he maybe tried too hard.

The actors were good although they really should have stopped Winstone from saying the word "monster", he just couldn't say it with his character's accent, just sounded like a cokney geezer trying to sell something dodgy. Angelina Jolie though, her character is a big part of the story but we don't really see or hear much of her and then when we do, well, lets just say I'm very shocked that it got a 12a rating over here. Anyways Hannibal Lector as King is awesome, makes some of the scenes easier to watch.

Overall I think its a good enjoyable film, if you were considering taking an under 12 along, think again (not because of the gore, because of Jolie :p ). But yeah, it was fun but it will probably be a long time before I watch the film again.

Rating: 3.5/5 (I am becoming very hard to please :p )

Bassically what you said execpt that I thought it was very well thought out and the Beowulf and Grendel fight scene was brilliantly done.
Im not usually a fan of this type of film with all the dragons and mythical creatures, but this was thourably enjoyable, and has the right mix of action, NUDITY :shock: , horror, gore, and comedy.
Also the animation was fantastic. :D
So im going to give it a well deserved 9/10. 8)

I watched Gattaca last year in English, but I didn't really pay much attention, therefore I thought it was stupid because I didn't understand it. However, we watched it again in Computer class today (don't know why), and I have to say, it's a decent film. By no means my favourite or even close, but I really under estimated it!

6.9/10

tks

Strata Poster
I LOVE Gattaca. I watched in a class a couple of years ago and it fascinated me. Plus it has Jude Law in it... :)

I LOVE Gattaca. I watched in a class a couple of years ago and it fascinated me. Plus it has Jude Law in it...

Haha oh yes Jude Law is certainly not hard on the eyes.

I couldn't help but be reminded of Sam by the one dude in a wheelchair. His pee samples were full of alcohol, he drinks, he smokes, and he has an English accent :p.

It's really not my type of movie, and I was dreading watching it because I didn't like it last year, but it's not so bad! But now I have to write an essay on it, yeehoo.

peep

CF Legend
Do people only end up watching Gattaca because of a school lesson where the teacher couldn't think up anything to teach the class?

I kinda saw it over three science lessons once (a bit more relevant than ICT, wtf?) but I think I missed the first lesson so I was very baffled when I saw the other parts. I havn't seen it since so I feel I can't give it a proper review.

Do people only end up watching Gattaca because of a school lesson where the teacher couldn't think up anything to teach the class?

Well, I don't see how it really relates to computer programming, but the teacher likes to have usually a week and a half of programming, and then give us one or two days of doing something else, so I suppose he chose Gattaca.

English it was slightly more relevant as it related somewhat to the book we were reading, which was the Chrysalids. They were sort of similar, so I can understand that.

neo

Mega Poster
I'm going to compare two similar movies. They are Fight Club and The Machinist, because these films have "reveals" i'll keep the plot to a minimum.

The Machinist is the horror of the two, it deserves the term grisly. Some of the shocks are played out very well. Very psychological at times and really quite disturbing.

Fight Club is very similar, both films have the same idea, although they go in different directions with it. This is where Fight Club excels, the scripting is excellent, so too is the film making. It ends up making lots of statements about modern day life. All of which, you can't help but agree with.

So to the scoring, The Machinist, while statisfying, just doesn't hit the right chords, 2/5. Fight Club on the other hand is outstanding with its look at modern day life, a modern day classic, 5/5.

Dave

CF Legend
Watched a rather disturbing but interesting film called Hard Candy today at college.

Its a sroty about a pheadophile meeting a girl and taking her back to his, and then it turns ugly as the girl turns on him.
Its a really good film with some rather disturbing yet brilliant performances from the two leads. I would recommend it, but be prepared for some shocking scenes that might make you squeamish, especially if your a guy ;).
9/10

tks

Strata Poster
I saw Gattaca causw it wa relevatnt to one my my AS-Levels.. History Philosophy & Ethics in Science. SO interesting!!!! I LOVED IT.

John91

Mega Poster
tks said:
I LOVE Gattaca. I watched in a class a couple of years ago and it fascinated me. Plus it has Jude Law in it... :)

How anyone can love that film is beyond me. I had to watch it in RS last year and honest to God i wish we had gone back to studying the gospels.

Snoo

The Legend
peep said:

Overall I think its a good enjoyable film, if you were considering taking an under 12 along, think again (not because of the gore, because of Jolie. But yeah, it was fun but it will probably be a long time before I watch the film again.

Agreed.

I enjoyed it, a little more so because I've seen the other movies and read the book, I'd give it a 4/5.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
LFTL said:
Well, I don't see how it really relates to computer programming, but the teacher likes to have usually a week and a half of programming, and then give us one or two days of doing something else, so I suppose he chose Gatt

Because he's a lazy git, that's why. Teachers showing films in class is due, 95% of the time, to them not being arsed to do their jobs properly. I should know, since I'm doing it all this week. :D

Just watched Elizabeth: The Golden Age and really didn't like it. The first film was great, but this one was way too "Hollywood," with really cringeworthy dialogue.

Also, they tried to squeeze too much material into it. There was enough for 2 or 3 movies, but instead of giving each element of the story enough attention, it ended up as a confusing mess.

I guess it was nice to see England being portrayed as the "heroes" for once though. A big, pantomime BOOOOO to Philip of Spain!

Because he's a lazy git, that's why. Teachers showing films in class is due, 95% of the time, to them not being arsed to do their jobs properly. I should know, since I'm doing it all this week.

Actually, he's so sick! He's one of the best teacher's I've had in a while, actually.

You should talk to my English teacher. She made us watch like a billion movies in one week. Though they were actually all relevent, so it's not that bad.

Next movie: The Mist on Wednesday

thx

Mega Poster
Here's a list of some older movies I've seen within the latest months and quick verdicts of them.

The Others- actually had heard a lot about this before, thought it would be more boring, but it was really good, and exciting 8.5/10

Wild Hogs- well didn't expect much from this, given the actors. However it was good and laid-back fun in a way I like, also Martin Lawrence said ass at least 13 times, yes I counted :lol:, anyway, it really would've been 'quite good', but when there was about a third left, it just became, quite boring, predictable, too much clichés etc. still 6/10.

The Shining- Fantastic music, atmosphere, directing, pretty much everything!, I only wish it would've been a little bit longer 9.5/10

The Shining (mini-series)- a pretty good and accurate transition of the book, with a few small things missing. The actors were a bit bad, but yeah, if you liked the book it's still worth a watch I think 6.6/10

The Hours- Watched this in School. It was good in the end, as the plot didn't luckily evolve or maybe devolve in the direction I expected. Good drama, although Nicole Kidman's character quite annoyed me. 8/10.

6 days 7 nights - I barely watch any romantic dramas or comedies. This one was good, cheap, yes, but a lot happened here, which is most of the time good, just overall quite nice. 6/10

What Lies Beneath - The beginning and very end except for a few details is really good and exciting. It was a good thriller overall, nice acting by Michelle Pfeiffer. There was a few details which 'sunk' this movie, that was a bit sad to be honest, as the movie could've been better, but no. 7.2/10

Red Dragon - prequel to Silence of the Lambs (which is great). Great movie, a lot better than I expected, still worse than "the lambs". Interesting, exciting and solid good acting. 8.5/10

What's the Worst That Could Happen? - A cheap comedy with Danny De Vito and Martin Lawrence, quite funny in my opinion, pleasant, mindless, enough stupid "I've-got-nothing-else-to-do" entertainment. 5.8/10

Blade Runner - Great atmoshpere, mood, cinematography. Beautiful movie, which I expected to have more action because of Harrison Ford, but it was still good, definately over average. 8/10