What's new

"Now Showing"

Slayed

Hyper Poster
:3dglasses: The IMAX 3D isn't the red/blue style, it's uses decent frame control, so it looks great. More difficult getting used to the size of the screen.

Just got back from Saw 4. Oh my good god, what a pile of steaming Bernard Matthews turkey entrails :evil:.

I enjoyed Saw 3, it had a good balance of horror and dark humour, some nice set pieces, acceptable acting and a not too bad script.

THIS had laughable dialogue, rubbish acting (apart from Tobin Bell), a story that *tried* to be coherent but ended up being stupid, OTT editing, bad pacing, pretty much the works. That's it, no more Saws for me.

2/10 :thumbdown:, and that's for 1 set-piece that made me cringe, 1 nice death at the end, and the utterly gratuitous gore at the start which was amusing :p.

PLEASE let The Mist be decent! *begs*

The IMAX 3D isn't the red/blue style, it's uses decent frame control, so it looks great. More difficult getting used to the size of the screen.

Yeah, I've been to Imax films, and I didn't see the point. It was a theatre, but in the shape of a dome kind of. Not really three dimensional!

I agree that Saw 4 wasn't very good, and I won't be buying it when it first comes out. They should've left it as a trilogy and wrapped it up in the third one somehow. It doesn't seem right without Jigsaw and Amanda.

Lain

Giga Poster
I saw 30 Days Of Night last week.

It's alright if you just want to sit and not think for 2 hours, but if you want a decent horror film, avoid it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I watched Zodiac last night. I had pretty high hopes for it, being a David Fincher film, but it was pretty bland.

Okay, the direction was quite competent, but it never really engaged you at any points. The few pieces of 'interesting' direction stood out like a sore thumb against the rest of the film.

It seemed to be a case of "couldn't be arsed" by Fincher.

4/10. 6/10 if you like films about serial killers.

peep

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
The IMAX 3D isn't the red/blue style, it's uses decent frame control, so it looks great. More difficult getting used to the size of the screen.

Yeah, I've been to Imax films, and I didn't see the point. It was a theatre, but in the shape of a dome kind of. Not really three dimensional!

Unfortunatly Slayed didn't explain the IMAX experience very well. An IMAX screen is basically one that is on the very large scale, uses several special projectors to be able to show a film on a very large screen. Some screens are just very wide (usually curved too), some are an entire 360 degree screen and some are large screens which are at a tilt. A 3D film being shown in an IMAX cinema is basically a normal film transferred into 3D on one of these large screens. Most films the IMAX cinemas show are just in normal format, they are just larger screens compared to your average cinema screens.

I should know about these screens, I went to Futuroscope in France which is like the home of the IMAX experience.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
peep said:
some are an entire 360 degree screen and some are large screens which are at a tilt.
Ah, you're talking about OMNIMAX Taylor, which is IMAX projected onto a dome, and not in 3D.

Normal IMAX is just a VERY big vertical screen. The quality of the picture is much higher than for a normal film. I saw Polar Express in IMAX 3D and it looked fantastic :).

It only uses one projector Peep, with 70mm film running sideways!

I've actually been to both OMNIMAX and IMAX theatres, neither which seemed three dimensional. Three dimensional to me is like, Honey I Shrunk the Audience at Epcot, or any other show where you have to wear those silly glasses. Things actually pop out at you.

So yeah, not a huge fan of IMAX and such, but they're still cool.

I watched Zodiac last night. I had pretty high hopes for it, being a David Fincher film, but it was pretty bland.

I went to see that with three other people and they all hated it but I was like woo, because I had seen so much of him on television programs and stuff. Serial killers are really interesting (though the movie did have bland spots, I'll agree).

John91

Mega Poster
I know it's not a film, but i've been watching the IT Crowd on 4od and it is the most hilarious program i have watched since I first saw father ted.

Homer

Hyper Poster
I finally saw Borat and it lived up to my hype and beyond for being outrageous. The naked fight scene was just :shock: .

10/10

Tony

Hyper Poster
Last night I watched John Tucker Must Die. It was a good film and was pretty funny and was better than I thought it would be.

7.5/10

Then I watched Good Luck Chuck last night online on my laptop and it was very good quality. The film was really good and really funny especially the first half. It does slip a bit in the middle though but the ending is good as well. Funniest film I have seen in a while.

9.5/10

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^^I have to agree it is brilliant.

I watched Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz a few nights ago. I had forgotten how funny they are. Some of the jokes are very funny, and it is also really well filmed.

I give it 8/10

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Saw Control a couple of weeks back, and I thought it was excellent, one of the best films i've seen this year. For anyone who doesn't know, its the Joy Division/Ian Curtis biopic, based on the frontman's widow's book, and directed by former NME photographer Anton Corbijn, who photographed the band when they were in the ascendance.

Its quite an arty affair, done on a low budget, and filmed wholly in black & white, but it portrays the emotions of the whole of Ian Curtis' time with the band perfectly. You feel for him, and you feel for the people that are around him, that he is inadvertantly hurting.

It was interesting watching this after seeing 24 Hour Party People a couple of years ago, which portrays the same story as part of a bigger picture of the whole Manchester scene at the time. 24HPP was bound to be more of a comedic affair with Steve Coogan playing Tony Wilson, who that film revolved around, but Control just struck me as a more honest and realistic affair, which obviously focused on a smaller part of the Coogan film, and put so much more detail into it for doing so. The supporting cast were all played much better too, from a better portrayal of Tony Wilson (not surprising, the man himself co-produced the film before his death) to a much better performance of both bassist Peter Hook and manager Rob Gretton.

Overall a much better film than the similar fore-runner '24 Hour Party People'. Definitely recommended to any fan of the band or anyone interested in the scene at the time.

neo

Mega Poster
I watched the Japanese original versions of JU-ON : The Grudge and its sequel JU-ON : The Grudge 2.

I have to say that these are probably two of the best horror films ever made. They are very intense and very effective. The second JU-ON was perhaps the lesser intense like most horror sequels. But it is still very good. They are genuinely scary films, no drug abuse teenagers will be found here, just pure terror.

I give the first one 5/5, because it is a masterpeice. And the second 4/5, because it continues to show what terror really is.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
For the first time ever, on Saturday, I saw High School Musical.

Some of my friends said it was crap, some said it was great, as for me, I thought it was decent.

The soundtrack wasn't bad at all, and the overall film was quite enjoyable.

7/10.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
^It's not like it was the best film I've ever seen! :lol:

I agree that the storyline was horribly predictable, but the overall film wasn't too bad. Like I said, it was okay.. not amazing but not complete crap either.

But my overall review was mainly based on the comparison to the views of a couple of my friends, who thought that it was utter crap.

So yeah, the overall film was pretty average and my rating would probably be about 5 rather than 7, come to think of it. I was probably in a really good mood when I rated it a 7.

Ollie

CF Legend
Well i've been trying to see the Silent Hill film for ages and finally got to see it tonight.
And I thought it was brilliant. The story was well done and followed the games well. It also allowed abit more history of the town to be discovered, and the special effects were brilliant. :D
9/10

I agree that the storyline was horribly predictable, but the overall film wasn't too bad. Like I said, it was okay.. not amazing but not complete crap either.

Yes, the overall film was indeed very bad.

Haha, it'll be an ongoing argument between me and the High School Musical fans until the hype around that stupid film begins to simmer down, and people begin to realise that it's one of the worst musicals out there!

Honestly, since when do a bunch of guys break out in song and dance in the middle of a basketball court? I'm sorry but, the whole movie is full of cheese, predictability, cheese, cheese, cheese, mozzarella, and more cheese.

I've watched this film before but, I thought I'd write a review on it anyway since I just watched it again last night and it made me remember how awesome it is. Miracle on 34th Street is such an amazing film, honestly. I like the original one and the remake, but the original is my favourite, as I like most of the characters better, and I like the storyline better (both storylines are generally the same but I preferred this one). It's just great really, and I love watching it around this time of year, but sometimes I even pull it out in May and watch it then!

9/10

peep

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Honestly, since when do a bunch of guys break out in song and dance in the middle of a basketball court? I'm sorry but, the whole movie is full of cheese, predictability, cheese, cheese, cheese, mozzarella, and more cheese.

Umm, have you ever seen a musical before? A lot of peeps love cheese, hence why HSM is popular. Most musicals are terrible if you compare them to normal films, but musicals have their own little thing where its down to the actual songs and dancing compared to everything else. Have you even seen Grease?

LiveForTheLaunch said:
but sometimes I even pull it out in May and watch it then!

Ok, that is just sad. I have to admit though that I have not seen the origional, if its on this christmas I might sit down and watch it.

Umm, have you ever seen a musical before? A lot of peeps love cheese, hence why HSM is popular. Most musicals are terrible if you compare them to normal films, but musicals have their own little thing where its down to the actual songs and dancing compared to everything else. Have you even seen Grease?

Haha, well the only actual musicals I have seen are High School Musical, Grease, Rent, and if you want to count it, Cats. I've also seen plays like Annie and Beauty and the Beast, but that was a really long time ago and I don't think they're really musicals.

The thing with Grease and Rent, they had decent songs and storylines and also had good singers. I actually seen Rent on broadway in New York which was phenominal! And besides both didn't have a horrifically cheesy and predictable storyline. At least not as horrible as High School Musical.

Ok, that is just sad. I have to admit though that I have not seen the origional, if its on this christmas I might sit down and watch it.

How the hell is it sad? If you like a movie enough, you can watch it whenever you want. And you haven't even seen the original, so you can shush until you have!

I watch Home Alone year round, and that's sometimes considered a Christmas movie.

If you like a movie enough, it's fine to watch it whenever you want.