What's new

"Now Showing"

Ollie

CF Legend
It looks a bit pants at the moment but I still want to see it. :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj2ZLofJar4&feature=related[/youtube]

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Finished watching El Orfanato (The Orphanage) in Film Studies today as part of our World Cinema unit. It was quite good, reminded me of films such as The Ring with its eerie atmosphere and supposed-to-make-you-jump moments, none of which made me jump.

The fact it was Spanish didn't detract from the clever and beautiful cinematography and acting.

A great film.

8/10

Snoo

The Legend
3:10 to Yuma

It looked like it would be ****.. but.. it was actually pretty good. Nothing like some good ol violence to brighten your day.

8/10

RCF

Strata Poster
Watched Toy Story 3 last night.

I thought it was a cute and actually pretty funny movie (funnier than I expected anyway). Although I did not see the whole movie (due to the problem that arose after eating copious amounts of popcorn and drinking a large Dr. Pibb) I still think it deserves a good 8.5/10

CMonster

Giga Poster
Okay, so I saw Toy Story 3 yesterday, and I have to say, it was amazing (for a Toy Story). Definetly my favorite one, and maybe my favorite Pixar movie (still deciding lol).

Very funny, great story with a good ending, just a great way to wrap up the series.

I especially liked how they had the same person as Andy throughout the films. Don't know why, just thought it was pretty cool. :)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Long story short, I saw The Last Song the other day.

Where to begin? I had no idea what the movie was all about, though the six or seven Sex and the City-related adverts beforehand gave an idea that this would not be my type of film. Then, the opening credits started, and I read the name "Miley Cyrus". After a sigh, I hoped that she would have a side role in the movie, and was casted just to bring a celebrity to it. But it turned out she had the main role. Already there, I knew what direction this was going to take.

The movie is far-too-many minutes of clichés being thrown at you in an alarming tempo. You can stop the movie after 15 minutes, because at that point, all characters have been introduced and the back story told, and you can figure out what happens the next one and a half hour with little to no effort (after said one and a half hour, it ends with a bunch of words going upwards on a black background).

The acting is okay-ish, I suppose. I didn't pay much attention to that, as with that premise for a movie (you've seen it before! Hundreds of times!), acting can't drag the viewer's experience up or down by any significant amount.

2/10, I think. I won't give it a 1, because that might tempt you to watch it yourself to see if it really is that bad.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Agreed. It was quite bad...

Just watched A Single Man - those of you with good memories would know that I did try watching this back in the cinema many months ago, but after the ceiling decided to collapse mid-screening, we had to leave on health & safety purposes, and as it was one of the last showings the cinema was ever to have of it, I never got to see the remaining hour or so.

So, now that I have, I can agree with what I did begin in say last time: Colin Firth was exceptional in this film, and he well deserves the BAFTA he received for this role. It was inspiring, convincing, moving and touching all at the same time.

Nicholas Hoult does give off a convincing, if occasionally annoying, American accent, much to my surprise.

The film itself was beautifully shot, and I must give all praise to Tom Ford for his first ever film. It was just visually pleasing and touching.

A very convincing, heart-breaking, heart-warming film.

8/10

peep

CF Legend
Oh, to those lucky lucky Americans (and Canadians), can you please not post any spoilers regarding Toy Story 3. I swear Pixar secretly hates us (even though their films do a lot better in Europe!) and have given us an entire month to wait. Urgh! :(

Anyways, I haven't had much of a cinema fix recently so I went last night. First I saw Wild Target.

Very, very British. The humour is mainly subtle and excellently executed and the performances by the cast are just brilliant (even Ron from Potter wasn't too bad). It's a simple film that just has a great script and some fantastic performances (Bill Nighy and Emily Blunt <3 ). Great film if you want a good laugh with some mates.

Rating: 4/5

Second film I saw was Killers.

Yep, another comedy about hit-men and secret agents lol (seems to be a theme at the moment, especially with Knight and Day next month too :p). Quite the opposite to Wild Target though in that the humour is very obvious and in your face. Some good performances though yet I felt that some of the smaller characters should have been given some more air time. Yet any film that has Tom Selleck in and then continuously focuses on his epic moustache is full of win :p. Overall it's good fun with, once again, a basic plot.

Rating: 3/5

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
After A Single Man, I watched Groundhog Day. It was very good, quite funny and well executed in the way the shots were done, links were made etc. Good ol' 90s films, ey :p

Not as good as I expected, but good nonetheless.

8/10

RCF

Strata Poster
peep said:
Oh, to those lucky lucky Americans (and Canadians), can you please not post any spoilers regarding Toy Story 3. I swear Pixar secretly hates us (even though their films do a lot better in Europe!) and have given us an entire month to wait. Urgh! :(

Everyone dies...... :wink:

Sucks you have to wait thought. My opinion, best Toy Story yet

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ And Prince of Persia ;) But that wasn't a "screw-you" movie...

I was told by my male non-Christian housemate about a film which is a must see. It's called Pirates, and don't judge me, but it's reportedly the most expensive adult film of all time.

It looks quite good, like a spoof just with a **** load of explicit sex scenes, but it is very highly rated on IMDB ;) It has made it to my List for sure :p

I shan't post links to any of the trailers as this is a family-friendly site, but go a quick search on the net, and you can all see it for yourself.

But here is the IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477457/

There's even a sequel which is rated even higher! :D

RCF

Strata Poster
You WOULD watch it wouldn't you Ciall? :wink: (send me a link :lol:)

And Jesus Christ that's a lot of tags involving sex.

(BTW I was joking above :p)

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
You're 14, of course you want it ;) Well, if you ever want the link, you know where I am ;)

I may watch it tonight, if I get all my homework done :)

Toy Story 3

Even though the first and second are superior to the third, the third was right up there, which was surprising considering the huge gap between this one and the last one that was made. It had a lot of funny moments (the potato head on the tortille, and Barbie and Ken), seemed just like a Toy Story film, and was overall entertaining. The ending made me cry though, it was kind of embarassing.

8/10